aurora monitor compiling

Frank Ashton

Reaction score
Credits
I swapped over to linux about 5 years ago and I have been using the latest Mint since then. Windows was getting worse! so I am relatively a newbie, go easy.

I would like to monitor the power from my aurora inverter with the more reliable Linux Mint 18.3.
To this end I downloaded the Aurora app in the Ubuntu repository using the software manager, but when it came to installing nothing happened, the app doesn't appear in the software list. Yet it has a green tick in the manager.

Hi Frank, and welcome to the forums!

You do not need to compile the program... it installed just as you asked it to. It is a terminal-based program which is why you do not get any program launcher with it. Open a terminal in Mint (CTRL-ALT-T is a shortcut, if you prefer) and just type:
Code:
aurora

It will help to make the terminal full screen. There you can see the usage options available. Of course, you will need to have made the USB connection to your device for any communication to actually work.

The author does have a newer version that would require compiling from source, but the version you downloaded from the repository may work fine as is.... I would certainly try it first to see if it suits your needs. If you do decide to compile the latest version, I would uninstall the older one first. The source tarball contains README and INSTALL notes to help you out.

Good luck!

thanks for the help, I did say I was a relative beginner!
aurora was installed as stated, driving it may be another issue, I will try it

I hope that it works for you and gives you the data on how your inverter is doing. Aurora looks fairly functional, but maybe not very pretty to look at. :D

Cheers

Windows was getting worse! so I am relatively a newbie, go easy.

No need to ask, Frank , we go easy on the aged :D:D

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke with a solar panel strapped to his back, falls backwards and looks for all the world like a tortoise on its back following a near miss with a car on the highway)

Just kidding - Aussie sense of humour - Stan (@atanere ) and I are both 1957ers, and we are amongst the Juniors of the Seniors, with ages up to 75 or more, even 82+.

But we go easy on everybody, I hope.

I am really interested in this solar stuff - wife Elaine and I had a new house built 2 years ago and we have 6 solar panels on the roof so far with a view to add more, and a solar hot water system, but I do not think they fall into the category of what you are talking about. I'll have to take a look see at what Oz has to offer in this regard.

After reading this Thread yesterday, I Googled around a little and checked my Distro Repositories.

I note that the author's copyright has not been modified since 2015, likewise with Release Notes, but I guess if it is still being covered by "The Majors" eg Ubuntu and Linux Mint, then that's cool.

Cheers, and hope to hear more from you, hopefully not with major problems.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Staff online

Members online