audio problem

Thomas J Marshall

Reaction score
Credits
Have been using Ubuntu then Mint and now Pop, seems to work best with Nvidia card. Can't get the sound to work from external speakers, only through the monitor speakers. i have googled a few things, re-starting pulseaudio gets:

Some packages could not be installed.
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
pop-desktop : Depends: pipewire-alsa but it is not going to be installed
Conflicts: pulseaudio
Conflicts: pulseaudio:i386

not sure if this will work for pop
first try sudo apt install pipewire
if that fails then try
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipewire-debian/pipewire-upstream
sudo apt update
sudo apt install pipewire pipewire-audio-client-libraries

not sure if this will work for pop
first try sudo apt install pipewire
if that fails then try
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipewire-debian/pipewire-upstream
sudo apt update
sudo apt install pipewire pipewire-audio-client-libraries
Thanks. Pipewire already newest, installed the libraries but still can only see the monitor audio.

Open the terminal and type:

Code:
pavucontrol

Look around in there, specifically the drop-down choices under playback would be where I'd first look.

Thomas ... wrote:
Pipewire already newest
I found there's a few packages other than just pipewire that I needed to install for audio to run fully on it. This is debian:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ dpkg -l | grep pipe
ii  libpipeline1:amd64                    1.5.7-1          amd64        Unix process pipeline manipulation library
ii  libpipewire-0.3-0:amd64               0.3.65-2         amd64        libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server
ii  libpipewire-0.3-common                0.3.65-2         all          libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server - common files
ii  libpipewire-0.3-modules:amd64         0.3.65-2        amd64        libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server - modules
ii  pipewire:amd64                        0.3.65-2         amd64        audio and video processing engine multimedia server
ii  pipewire-bin                          0.3.65-2        amd64        PipeWire multimedia server - programs
ii  pipewire-doc                          0.3.65-2        all          libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server - documentation
rc  pipewire-media-session                0.4.1-4+b1      amd64        example session manager for PipeWire
ii  pipewire-pulse                        0.3.65-2        amd64        PipeWire PulseAudio daemon

[flip@flop ~]$ dpkg -l | grep wireplumber
ii  libwireplumber-0.4-0:amd64            0.4.13-1        amd64        Shared libraries for WirePlumber
ii  wireplumber                           0.4.13-1         amd64        modular session / policy manager for PipeWire
It doesn't need pipewire-doc to run though.

Last edited:
@Thomas J Marshall :-

Welcome to Linux.org.

Just to clarify something; is this the Nvidia HDMI output you're trying to route to external speakers? Only asking, because although I've been using an Nvidia GPU with Puppy Linux for a few years, I've never bothered with the HDMI sound. It's more trouble than it's worth, apparently, and according to acquaintances that have made it work it doesn't sound significantly better....

(Puppy, of course, is the "spanner in the works" here. Only very recently have ANY Puppies bothered to use PulseAudio at all; 99 times out of 100, we stick with controlling ALSA directly.....which all Puppy controls are configured for, and which for us just "works".)

Sometimes, certain hardware combos just will NOT "play nice" & work together. Software can't always make everything work the way the user wants it to.

My own desktop audio output goes out via the rear headphone socket to a 20-yr old Goodman's "active" powered speaker system - with subwoofer - originally designed for MP3 players. Which ATM still works great. (*Fingers crossed...*)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
@Thomas J Marshall :-

Welcome to Linux.org.

Just to clarify something; is this the Nvidia HDMI output you're trying to route to external speakers? Only asking, because although I've been using an Nvidia GPU with Puppy Linux for a few years, I've never bothered with the HDMI sound. It's more trouble than it's worth, apparently, and according to acquaintances that have made it work it doesn't sound significantly better....

(Puppy, of course, is the "spanner in the works" here. Only very recently have ANY Puppies bothered to use PulseAudio at all; 99 times out of 100, we stick with controlling ALSA directly.....which all Puppy controls are configured for, and which for us just "works".)

Sometimes, certain hardware combos just will NOT "play nice" & work together. Software can't always make everything work the way the user wants it to.

My own desktop audio output goes out via the rear headphone socket to a 20-yr old Goodman's "active" powered speaker system - with subwoofer - originally designed for MP3 players. Which ATM still works great. (*Fingers crossed...*)

Mike. ;)
Yes, I have external speakers plugged in to the line out on my PC. In windows (I'm dual-booting) the sound goes to the speakers with an option to go to the monitor. But only one option in Pop, the monitor speakers.

Hmm... This is Pop!_OS which has some weirdness. The OS is designed to work on their hardware.

I think I'd try downloading a copy of Ubuntu, Lubuntu, or maybe even Mint. I'd then write the .iso to USB with BalenaEtcher (or however you did it to install Pop!_OS). I'd then boot to that USB (like you were going to install it - but just using the live environment) and would check to see if you could play sound properly in that live Linux instance. (Again, checking the drop down menu to see if you can select the line out.

It'd look something like this (I'm in Mint at the moment):

Sound_001.png

And you can see the analog stereo output in the device settings drop down menu. I should have used two arrows.

Hmm... This is Pop!_OS which has some weirdness. The OS is designed to work on their hardware.

I think I'd try downloading a copy of Ubuntu, Lubuntu, or maybe even Mint. I'd then write the .iso to USB with BalenaEtcher (or however you did it to install Pop!_OS). I'd then boot to that USB (like you were going to install it - but just using the live environment) and would check to see if you could play sound properly in that live Linux instance. (Again, checking the drop down menu to see if you can select the line out.

It'd look something like this (I'm in Mint at the moment):

View attachment 15169

And you can see the analog stereo output in the device settings drop down menu. I should have used two arrows.
Thanks. I'll give that a go.

LOL Maybe you just missed it earlier?

But, if I'm reading properly, glad it's sorted.

I can assure you that it had nothing to do with booting to the live environment - assuming you didn't mount disks and start making changes. Though, I have seen some strange behavior over the years.

Yes working now. I may have missed it you know, you have to click and hold to see the drop down. Sorted anyway, thanks.

Thought I'd just throw this in in case anyone has an idea, I followed a suggestion to reinstall alsa-base pulseaudio and got this:

Seems to be an issue with pipewire and pulse.

Last edited:
That's the same message you had in your first post.

Hmm... I'm out of ideas. I just wanted to mention that it's the same as your initial message.

From what I understand, pipewire is replacing pulse-audio in many distro's.

That's the same message you had in your first post.

Hmm... I'm out of ideas. I just wanted to mention that it's the same as your initial message.
Oops! Sorry. I can use the monitor speakers so it's not that bad. Thanks for all your help.

Members online

Latest posts