Audio Problem

Hi Wiz...terminal changes made, entered and were successful. So #2 is done.
Thanks for your persistence!
Doc

When you've solved the other young man's issues, can you tell me what to do to solve the space problem I've got with my Serena partition?
Thanks Wiz!
Doc

Working on them both, Doc, as each may take some time.

BTW I should explain a little on #2 both for your benefit and for the benefit of The Viewers.

The "apt-mark hold" method is a workaround not a permanent solution. I found it a year or two ago, when I wanted to hang on to a version of Firefox older than Version 57 Quantum (we are on 72 now), because this FF had on it an add-on that was a particularly good Download Manager, that was not updated for Quantum.

So I held back that Firefox on that Distro, and use it for fast downloads. That means that the Firefox there will be excluded fro the Update Manager umbrella, unless or until changed.

In your case - you may or may not be acquainted with DVD classifications by Zone or Region, whereby you need certain software to read a DVD from a different zone (could be a commercial software DVD or a paid for music or film DVD).

libdvd-pkg is for that purpose. The second package was also listed in your error output, and the third I identified from a Google search using

linux livdvd-pkg libdvdcss solved

and therefore found a Thread

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=257976

In that Forum, the Dutchman Pjotr lists the workaround in the Post 2nd from the bottom.

Make Google your friend.:D

The workaround has not deleted those packages, so if the DVD function was working before it should still work while you and Ann are Stateside. It has only prevented them from updating.

If you have any problems with it, come back to us and we can "un-hold" those packages (might bork Update Manager again) or seek out new packages.

Back on #1 Serena soon, and get ready to play with GParted.

Wiz

Dick, holding Post for now.

At Terminal, on Serena, type and enter

Code:
du -ah /var/cache/apt/archives

and report back the figure it shows bottom left corner after the output finishes.

It will be in M (Megabytes) or G (Gigabytes).

If it appears substantial (anything over 300 - 400 M), type and enter

Code:
sudo apt-get clean

It will flush your cache, and I can explain more later, but the space will be freed (no need to empty Trash) for Serena to work from.

Wiz

Wiz...in Serena Terminal your "du -ah /var/cache/apt/archives" was denied, I added "sudo" and after entering my password,was told "locked". I shutdown, restarted and re-tried this w/same results. Shutdown and tried again and I was warned the /partition only has 193gb remaining. Couldn't save the screenshots I think because of the space issue...so I'm left to flapping my lips/fingers to try to explain.

"only" 193 GB remaining ?

That's 193 MB, Dick.

Boot into Sylvia and open GParted.

Top right-hand side, click the button that shows you the drives, they'll be /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

/dev/sdb is Sylvia.

Click /dev/sda for Serena.

Take a screenshot of the window for /dev/sda (Serena) in GParted - using GNOME Screenshot or Shutter.

Be sure that the Device Information is not showing at the left (if it is, go the menu View - and uncheck device information). Make sure the window shows all fields, if not, drag the handles to resize.

Post the screenshot here.

Cheers

Wizard

O.K., you were right to question my GB post...I tend to get my MB's & GB's mixed up. My bad!

It appears Wiz that sdb partition is Serena?? Anyway I've shot all 3 for you.
Doc

PS...a friend sent me a nightime aerial view of the fires covering all of Australia. Really perturbing! I heard that 187 perpetrators have been arrested. I don't know your laws but a serious never-do-it-again public example needs to be meted out! These were Climate Changers, I think. Think along the lines of public castrations!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-01-29 09-56-03.png
    Screenshot from 2020-01-29 09-56-03.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 682
  • Screenshot from 2020-01-29 09-56-58.png
    Screenshot from 2020-01-29 09-56-58.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 690
  • Screenshot from 2020-01-29 09-59-50.png
    Screenshot from 2020-01-29 09-59-50.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 685
It appears Wiz that sdb partition is Serena??

Nope, it is /dev/sda. I'll tell you why.

1. Your background wallpaper is called "Valley", which is from LM 18.2 'Sonya' - not available to Serena but available to Sylvia.

2. On the GParted shot there, under Mount Point is a / which indicates your root partition on that drive, and as you are following my instructions and taking these from Sylvia, that forward slash shows you this is Sylvia.

So first screenshot is Sylvia. /dev/sdb1. :)

Second screenshot is Serena - the problem child.

You have all the space in the world on /dev/sda6 which is your root partition for Sylvia, and by the looks of it includes Home, which is likely consuming the most space.

The immediate problem is Boot, on /dev/sda1.

This is a legacy of the gooses (geese?) whom you refer to as Techies from the computer store in the big smoke.

/dev/sda1 is only 7.45 GiB to start with, and something is crowding up 6.8 Gig of that, leaving 660.43 MiB - but a couple of hundred of those are used as formatting overhead for establishing and maintaining the partition.

Hence your warning of only 193 MiB left. Linux starts to choke, when space has run out on Boot.

The Techies also did a good number on us, by making the Extended Partition /dev/sda2, instead of at least /dev/sda3 and preferably /dev/sda4.

As it is set up currently, there is no way to "grow" /dev/sda1 to eliminate the error message and have a working Serena, unless you first delete -
  • /dev/sda6 and then
  • /dev/sda5 and finally
  • /dev/sda2, the Extended Partition
... and in doing so, you are deleting Serena.

You may be happy to do that, or you may wish to keep the 2nd System (handy sometimes).

So digest a bit of what I have said, think about your options, ask questions.

Keeping Serena and fixing it is not out of the equation, because

1. There's more than one way to skin a cat
  2. Where there's a Will (or a Dick and Chris) there's a way, and
  3. Wizard ain't easy to beat where multibooting is concerned ;)
I'll grab coffee and attend to some matters and be back in the fullness of time.

Wiz

Chris...great analysis from what I can understand. If it is do-able and you are up to it, so am I...and really I look forward to doing this process with you (you're great at the step-by-step which is vital to me). Give a shout!
Question: was my comment on your fires inappropriate?
Dick

Should be able to get to the meat and potatoes of it around Saturday Dick.

In the meantime, a bit of prep work for you:

In Sylvia, open up GParted and take a look at Serena again, such as it was above

lkwICEJ.png

DICK'S SERENA - BEFORE LABELLING SHOT

Prep Job 1

1. Go to the bottom entry /dev/sda6 and click the line once, it will highlight.
2. Right-click in the highlighted line and choose Label, not Name
3. In your BIOS-MBR setup you have 11 characters you can use, UEFI have 16. Type in eg Serena-root and OK changes.
4. Now the bottom of the pane should show "1 operations pending". Go to the checkmark under Help (smart tip should show "Apply" and click.
5. Where your tabs are for Partition, File System, Size &c you should now have an extra one for Label with that name there.
6. Exit GParted

Prep Job 2

1. Open your File Manager, Nemo. If Job 1 was successful, in Nemo on the left pane you should now have entries showing for /dev/sda6, with the label you attached. If that is so, proceed to 2.
2. In the left-hand pane, run your mouse up and down the partitions slowly and a smart tip should show the device description eg /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 etc. Find the one that says /dev/sda1, and that is your Boot partition. Click it and its contents (first level, at least) will open in the right-hand pane.
3. Take a screenshot and post it here.

Cheers

Wiz

I think I did it right, Wiz. You'll be the one to know. I shot 2 pics because I didn't know for sure.
Dick

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-01-30 09-28-03.png
    Screenshot from 2020-01-30 09-28-03.png
    187.8 KB · Views: 693
  • Screenshot from 2020-01-30 09-30-02.png
    Screenshot from 2020-01-30 09-30-02.png
    220 KB · Views: 662
No recent word from you Wiz. Here's where I'm at now...time is short for me. We leave for the States next month on the 10th. So I think it's just best to get rid of 18.1...it's been nothing but a headache. If you can find the time to walk me thru that on both the laptop and the desktop, I'll appreciate it.

Hope things are well for you!
Dick

on me, see here

https://linux.org/whats-new/profile-posts/739390/

serena - you haven't got on the desktop. have you?

NOTE - all of the below has risk attached.

1. sylvia - had only 7.72 gib left last we looked. if that gets as low as 1 gib you may have problems.

if you want to grow sylvia, you will either need gparted from within serena if it allow you, or else gparted live if you can boot from the stick

2. if you want to delete serena go with #49 with an added bullet at bottom

use gparted from sylvia for this.

As it is set up currently, there is no way to "grow" /dev/sda1 to eliminate the error message and have a working Serena, unless you first delete -
  • /dev/sda6 and then
  • /dev/sda5 and finally
  • /dev/sda2, the Extended Partition
  • /dev/sda1, the boot partition
... and in doing so, you are deleting Serena.

when finished, open terminal. type and enter

sudo update-grub

when that completes, if it looks ok, reboot.

i would leave it all as is, for now.

gotta go - pain. hope to be back in a week or so.

wiz

Serena is on the split HD of the desktop, yes.

In light of you refreshing me, it might be easier to keep Serena on the Toshiba for the time being...so both Serena and Sylvia are on it. When you get back if you'l waltz me thru the exact steps to increase the space, I'll really appreciate it, Chris.

Dick

Ensure that the computer isn't muted via hardware. Press any external mute buttons, confirm that the speakers are turned on, and turn the volume all the way up. Test by playing a song or using the Sound control panel (click the Sounds tab, select Asterisk, and click Test). If that doesn't work, check Windows

@samK ...you are 28 years old....with any sort of luck you can read. Read the post before you copy and paste any more nonsensical crap which does not address the real problem.
Also...(again READ it FIRST)......the post above is dated FEBRUARY 15th......it is in limbo becasue the OP has moved nations, and the responder (wizard) has a severely injured shoulder and hand which has largely prevented him from responding further. You are not doing yourself or anyone else any favours by just posting the first Google result you find.

Members online

Latest posts