Audio Problem

whazzupdoc

Reaction score
Credits
My Linux system is 18.3. The computer is a Toshiba Notebook C655-S5090. I've not checked it since the Wiz worked with me last year on the Linux setup. I went to Fox News thru Linux software (internet on Linux) today and tried to get sound on one of their videos...no sound.

I must have missed some setting. Can anyone help walk me thru this?

Thanks!
Doc

As you know, Dick, I am not an audio-video guru - but tell us a bit more.

eg is it just the Fox stuff, or is there sound with anything else on Firefox, and elsewhere through your 'Sylvia' Cinnamon?

Cheers

Wiz

Hey whazzupdoc,

Have you gone into the audio mixer and sound settings and made certain that speakers are enabled and sound isn't muted.

You should be able to go into the control settings and under sound settings there should be an option to test speakers.

You may want to check in the bios and make sure the audio / sound is enabled if there is a setting it's worth a shot imo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This may help.
Open the terminal and copy and paste this command in.

sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg

Press enter and then enter password when asked.

When finished copy and paste this command in and then press enter.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

Then restart your computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Guy...I'll do the Terminal moves right away and get back to you.

Wiz...in response to you, I've checked again this time using Chromium this time and asked for full length movies, specifically 'The Crossing' which I saw last night on my desktop. The movie came up very slowly and then proceeded without sound. Muted. So it's likely Toshiba related.

So I'll try the terminal commands and see what happens. I'll get back to y'all.

Doc

I tried the Terminal Command...seemed to download. Shutdown and Restart. Then tried to enter the Reconfigure ...asked for the password. Gave it and here's the output:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/kpkg/lock-frontend - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable) E: is another process using it?

Used the Terminal Command again and get
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Obviously I didn't exactly follow your instructions, huh?
Doc

I tried the Terminal Command...seemed to download. Shutdown and Restart. Then tried to enter the Reconfigure ...asked for the password. Gave it and here's the output:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/kpkg/lock-frontend - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable) E: is another process using it?

Used the Terminal Command again and get
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Obviously I didn't exactly follow your instructions, huh?
Doc

Did you copy and paste the commands.
This one first.

sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg

Press enter.

Then enter password when asked and then press enter.

When that is finished then copy and paste this command.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

Press enter.

Follow the prompts, answer yes to all questions

When finished restart the computer.

Honestly...'No'. I just entered them by the keyboard. I'll retry doing what you've told me to do. Thanks for straightening me out...at my age my board is a bit warped...ask Wiz!

You can see what I'm getting when I go to Terminal and enter the 1st command. It acts like it is already installed??? I did it by both copy/paste what you've sent...as well as manually entering the command.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-01-19 15-32-46.png
    Screenshot from 2020-01-19 15-32-46.png
    271.9 KB · Views: 671
Dick just passing through :)

You could try that again now, and if it outputs the same, apply the following (my comments hashed)

Code:
sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend

#followed by

/var/lib/dpkg/lock

And then repeat Tom's (@poorguy 's) commands.

Wiz

Screenshot from 2020-01-19 15-32-46.png

Have you ever updated the Linux distro you're using.

Sorry that 2nd one should be

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Yes, he has, Tom. I'll explain in a moment.

Wiz

What is possibly the case is that Dick has reached the Desktop after login and then tried to enter the commands. If not, a previous update process has stalled, and left temporary blockages to apt-get.

In Mint, 30 seconds after you hit the Desktop the Updates Manager kicks in to show you on its green or blue shield that there are updates or not.

During this process, it "talks" with Synaptic Package Manager/apt-get.

When that process is underway, you cannot apt-get install.

Removing those locks will free up the process, and later on the locks will regenerate.

I have to fly, later.

Wiz

Wiz...I did the 2 steps you gave. Still locked.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-01-19 16-42-39.png
    Screenshot from 2020-01-19 16-42-39.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 550
Won't let me reinstall under the sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg...no matter what.

Even tho I Update 2-3 x's each week, could not update just now. Here's the shot.
Doc
Screenshot from 2020-01-19 16-53-16.png

O.K., just did the command for sudo dpkg (unless I entered it wrong) and this is what I got.
Doc

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-01-19 17-02-55.png
    Screenshot from 2020-01-19 17-02-55.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 568
OK Dick, there's something rotten in the State of Denmark.

I said earlier

If not, a previous update process has stalled, and left temporary blockages to apt-get.

Your typing of the sudo dpkg remedy was correct, however the process should take longer, and produce a lot of output and perhaps update grub as well. It didn't. So something's buggered with the package management system, perhaps one of those power outages from storms while the computer was running.

You could take a look at Synaptic Package Manager, and see at the bottom left-hand side if there is reference to a broken package. If not, Timeshift to the rescue.

Pick a screenshot from prior to, say the 17th, that is, before the audio fault reared its ugly head, and restore your Distro.

That could fix both the package management problem and the sound issue.

Cheers

Wizard

Hi...here's the shot...
Can you give me the stroke by stroke for resorting to TimeShift? I know it's there but I've never used it,
Doc

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-01-20 00-12-33.png
    Screenshot from 2020-01-20 00-12-33.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 540
Also, Chris...I don't ever recall having sound. Not even power-Up or down. And I've never tried to watch a movie on this notebook. Since it will be our only access when we go to the States soon, sound will be important.
Doc

How do I then select a TimeShift date when I've no clue as to when I last had sound, if ever?
Doc

Staff online