"attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0" - error

veevee0607

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!
I installed Linux Ubuntu on an external SSD. The installation process was successful but after rebooting, I got the "attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0" - error. I don't know anything about grub. What should I do to boot successfully?

G'day veevee, Welcome to Linux.org

When you installed, you did this from bootable USB stick....Yes ?

boot the USB stick again, and select Advanced Options....and then Rescue Mode

There will be options there to reinstall grub....or if there isn't then go to a shell?Terminal and you can reinstall grub by using,

Code:
grub-mkdevicemap
(You may need to start this command with sudo)

Code:
grub-install /dev/sda  (
THIS /dev/sda WILL VARY ACCORDING TO YOUR Externals Volume Name)

Code:
Sudo update-grub

G'day veevee, Welcome to Linux.org

When you installed, you did this from bootable USB stick....Yes ?

boot the USB stick again, and select Advanced Options....and then Rescue Mode

There will be options there to reinstall grub....or if there isn't then go to a shell?Terminal and you can reinstall grub by using,

Code:
grub-mkdevicemap
(You may need to start this command with sudo)

Code:
grub-install /dev/sda  (
THIS /dev/sda WILL VARY ACCORDING TO YOUR Externals Volume Name)

Code:
Sudo update-grub
Thank you for your answer! I don't quite understand why I would boot the USB Stick again? After booting it again I just see the "Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu" - Dialog

Use the try option and it takes you to a live operating system where you can run the commands suggested above.

Ok so now we are all confused.

I don't quite understand why I would boot the USB Stick again? After booting it again I just see the "Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu" - Dialog

^^^^....the above sentence indicates that Ubuntu was NOT installed. (have you clicked on "install ubuntu ...prior to posting this topic for help ??)

(Yeah, I know it is confusing)...just hang in there, we will get it sorted for you)

Ok so now we are all confused.

I don't quite understand why I would boot the USB Stick again? After booting it again I just see the "Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu" - Dialog

^^^^....the above sentence indicates that Ubuntu was NOT installed. (have you clicked on "install ubuntu ...prior to posting this topic for help ??)

(Yeah, I know it is confusing)...just hang in there, we will get it sorted for you)
I'm sorry to cause confusion^^ Anyway, I was able to solve the problem by clicking "Try Ubuntu" and then select "Install Ubuntu" from the taskbar and just reinstall it this way. It somehow worked

@veevee0607 Well done.

You are on your way.

If you have an external hard drive, it would be a really good idea to Use Timeshift to save a snapshot.

If something goes wrong etc it can be an absolute lifesaver

Shout out for help setting it up

Members online

Latest posts