Asus VivoBook 15 X505ZA Linux, my pc suffers from sudden freezes

EndersonPro

Reaction score
Credits
A pleasure to greet you, I am completely new here, I was looking for a little help, I currently have an Asus laptop, more specifically an Asus vivobook x505z, to which I installed Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana", when using it I suffer from repetitive freezes, this behavior I have also received it with Arch, Manjaro, Ubuntu, I don't know what else to do, can anyone help me?

What are the specs of this particular pc ?

does it have in excess of 4 GB of ram ?

What are the specs of this particular pc ?

does it have in excess of 4 GB of ram ?

Language: Spanish (Regional Setting: Spanish)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: VivoBook_ASUS Laptop X505ZA_X505ZA
BIOS: X505ZA.312 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7114MB RAM

you can try Bodhi linux as it requires only 256 mb ram
I think the problem is not ram, I have tried arch performing the minimal installations, even so my computer freezes, I will try the one you have recommended anyway. Thank you

Do the freezes happen both in the Desktop Environment as well as when not using a Desktop Environment, for example when not logging into the DE but just using a virtual console? Also try disabling the DE from starting and just work in the console and see if the freezes still happen then?

Do the freezes happen both in the Desktop Environment as well as when not using a Desktop Environment, for example when not logging into the DE but just using a virtual console? Also try disabling the DE from starting and just work in the console and see if the freezes still happen then?
Yes, I usually always use a desktop environment, I have not tried without one. I'll try it too, however I still require a desktop environment.

Yes, I usually always use a desktop environment, I have not tried without one. I'll try it too, however I still require a desktop environment.
How long before the freezes start happening? Do you have to reboot after it freezes or does it unfreeze itself after a few seconds? If the freezes don't happen when you aren't logged into your Desktop Environment and when it isn't started it is probably a video driver issue. Also try creating another user and login to the Desktop Environment with that user, if that user doesn't have the problem then the problem is with your user.

How long before the freezes start happening? Do you have to reboot after it freezes or does it unfreeze itself after a few seconds? If the freezes don't happen when you aren't logged into your Desktop Environment and when it isn't started it is probably a video driver issue. Also try creating another user and login to the Desktop Environment with that user, if that user doesn't have the problem then the problem is with your user.
The times are very random, in general the panorama is the following with Ubuntu, when I spent around 3 hours using different programs, Chrome, vscode, several terminals running servers, with mint it has lasted much longer, but the freezes have not disappeared. If I have to restart every time it freezes, what solution or what step can I take to solve the problems with the controller? This is my video card Card name: AMD Radeon (TM) Vega 8 Graphics

As I said in my earlier post narrow it down to when it happens? Do the freezes happen when you create a new user and login with that user into the graphical environment? Do the freezes happen when you don't log into the graphical environment? Do the freezes happen when you disable the graphical environment from starting?

1. Create a new user(useradd): login with that user and try it. (Do the freezes happen now?)
2. Don't login into DE: press ctrl+alt+f6 and login there (Do the freezes happen now)
3. Disable graphical environment from starting: systemctl set-default multi-user.target, reboot and login (Do the freezes happen now?)

Also it may be worth checking out your systemjournal/syslog for errors and Xorg log file.

Last edited:
Also what kernel are you currently running? Without having done what I mentioned earlier you could also try the following, just one at a time since one of these boot parameters should probably do it since your problem sounds more like a graphics issue(Just try them out in order I listed them):
- Add to your kernel boot parameters(comment #6): idle=nomwait and iommu=soft
- Add to your kernel boot parameters: amdgpu.noretry=0"
-
Add to your kernel boot parameters: amd_iommu=on iommu=pt

There is still an on going
issue with 2400G and 3400G could be that your CPU is effected as well. Would be interesting to see what your dmesg looks like when the system freezes happen.
Code:
dmesg | grep amdgpu

Last edited:
Hello, i have the same laptop and i am having this issue aswell, it is really annoying because the freezes is really random and there's no way to unfreeze it. Only way is to restart. I have tried a lot of distros (kali linux, fedora, arco linux and now using endeavor os) and had this issue in every one of them. Is their a solution to this problem now?, i am willing to provide every information i can give!!
I have attached files with this following commandes:
Code:
inxi -Fxxi
Code:
dmesg | grep amdgpu

Attachments

• inxi_output.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 209
  • dmesg.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 252
I would have to agree with the op doubt it is a ram issue more than like the AMD graphic card is a fault or it's driver. You can try editing the boot like of the grub menu and add nomodeset right after quiet splash that may help.
You might also try a newer kernel. Good luck.

Hello, i have the same laptop
Is this the version with the Razon5 graphics...?? then try MX-linux-ehs version it has a bigger range of drivers per-installed, alternatively if you have found a distro you like then install the 5.10 linux core kernel that includes the Ryzen 5 drivers [and a few more newer various ones ]

Is this the version with the Razon5 graphics...?? then try MX-linux-ehs version it has a bigger range of drivers per-installed, alternatively if you have found a distro you like then install the 5.10 linux core kernel that includes the Ryzen 5 drivers [and a few more newer various ones ]
I would have to agree with the op doubt it is a ram issue more than like the AMD graphic card is a fault or it's driver. You can try editing the boot like of the grub menu and add nomodeset right after quiet splash that may help.
You might also try a newer kernel. Good luck.

Thank you for replying both of you.

According to f33dm3bits,
- Add to your kernel boot parameters(comment #6): idle=nomwait and iommu=soft

i added this, and i haven't seen any freezing till now (its been i think 3 hours) , i will edit this if it happens.:)

Staff online