ASUS VivoBook 15 R504ZA Ryzen 7 - system freezes

Bolo

Reaction score
Credits
Dear forum Users,

I have been trying different distros (Mint Cinnamon, Kubuntu, Manjaro KDE, last kernel 5.10) for three years now and I constantly have a problem: laptop freezes. Once it happens after a few minutes of use, sometimes after a few days. For this reason, I cannot use my computer to work in Linux. I would like to add that when using Windows (dual boot) nothing like that happens - the computer works stably.
The crash looks like that the desktop ceases to be responsive, sometimes I can still move the mouse cursor, then even it stops. It is also impossible to turn on teminal (Alt-1 etc). The only solution is to hold the ON button for a long time.
Is there any way to fix this, or should I buy a new laptop?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

brickwizard

thank you for your answer. I wrote an processor.max_cstate=1 in boot option, but it probably did not help. I will keep testing it.

will keep testing it.
Bolo.. been doing some more hunting round this morning found this on the mint forums for the 4000 series it may or not work for you but got to be worth a try

@brickwizard, your last post looks like it maybe was supposed to contain a link? If so, it's gone missing.

I'm using a Ryzen 5 home my home server, but I guess that's not quite comparable. Other than that I have found that AMD and Intel CPU's run both just as well on GNU/Linux in my experience.

They Ryzen 7 1700 was released 2017, that's 4 years ago so that's old news. I had trouble getting my new AMD video card to work when it was just released in May 2021. I did get it to work but using the git version of linux-firmware. I can imagine the same happens when you buy other hardware when it just gets released so not a suprise if you bought that CPU in 20217. However without any actual log file or dmesg output from the OP it's just guess work and not an actual finding or conclusion so hold your horses.

the Ryzen range was first released in july 2017, and on the whole has been problems from day one on Linux distro's AMD were said to have fixed it, but the number of complaints across all distros would indicate otherwise, and with the latest version is the same, this is from the AMD official forum page

Members online