Asus Transformer T200TA

Davie

Reaction score
Credits
Actually it says Asus Transformer T200TA-C1-BL. It has an Intel Atom processor. Yes it is old but it works. It originally came with Win 8.1 and I still have the Win install disk.
Like most windows machines, it updated to a point it bricked the device and I need to wipe it and reinstall. I was going to just go back to Win, but I thought was does Linux have for these older Atom processor devices with limited memory.

The Transformer has a docking keyboard with a space for a battery or hard drive. I have a drive for storage but am more interested in making this just a tablet.

I have not used Linux in quite a while. I played with it 10 to 15 years ago. I'm sure things have improved a lot.

Suggestions Please
Thanks
Davie

Ubuntu [and a few others] work with tablets, and most have support for 64 bit Atom processors

Thanks BW, I was just reading about Xubuntu.
This old device will be a toy, maybe for the grand daughter t (3yrs old) to play with. I hope there are kids games to download.
If nothing else she will learn something new.

Last edited:
There are loads of old type arcade and others available for Linux, but as you plan to give it to a child, Emmabuntus is loaded with educational games.

There is also Endless OS:

thanks but the reviews are pretty bad

The License
Endless OS asks a few questions before presenting a usable desktop the first time you boot it. It starts out innocently with benign questions about your preferred language and your keyboard layout. Only then are you presented with their horrific, immoral and outright nightmarish license terms.

Endless OS does not have any security framework like AppArmor or SELinux.

they thrust it down the throats of Californians! 100 victims already !

"has distributed over 100 Endless Keys to schools in California’s San Francisco Bay area."

thanks but the reviews are pretty bad

I've only tried it in a VM and you can install other software. I don't recall any onerous licensing terms? IIRC, the reason they don't bother with stuff like SELinux is that they don't need to. It's a read-only type of system. Additionally, it looks like everything they've added to the system is opensource?

I dunno, I can only go from my one time using it in a VM and what I can now look up. So, maybe I'm missing something?

(I don't actually mind if you don't use it, but I find those claims a bit unusual. I don't have a nickle invested.)

Members online