As strange as it sounds, it's kinda a rush when you find and report a new bug...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I found a new bug yesterday (I'm steadily improving health-wise) and it legit felt good. I mean, yeah, it's bad that there's a bug - but it's kinda great that I found it before it hit userland. When I found it, I knew it meant extra work - but that's okay. I'm not a programmer, so someone else will get the joy of hunting the cause down and fixing it. For me? It means maybe running a few extra tests and the time spent reporting/monitoring the bug report.

I hadn't found a major bug in a while. So, finding this one was quite fun. It's exciting. I'm not even kidding, it's a bit of a rush.

This bug would have been pretty hard to miss, but still... (If you open Discover, it throws an error about a certificate. You can't possibly miss it. 'Snot my job to dig deeper.)

Yes, this is in off-topic. It's in off-topic because I have ulterior motives! My goal is to encourage you to get involved with your favorite distro. You don't even have to be smart. In my case, I try to break stuff - and to check to see if someone else broke stuff. What's more exciting than that? So, find your favorite's distros dev hangout and offer up a few hours of your time.

I run Arch which means I'm already testing for those that don't run a rolling release distribution ;)

LOL I'm sure there's other ways you can volunteer to help 'em. It hasn't gotta just be testing.

Also, don't the Arch people do some testing before pushing updates?

Yes they have a Testing Team but I rather not use my desktop for testing packages for any distribution since I use my desktop to work from home. Currently working on my new Hypervisor project so that's where all my free time is going until I have that setup.

Last edited:
LOL I was gonna suggest VMware or VirtualBox for testing if you said anything about not having hardware. I know your PC is good enough to support a VM with more than satisfactory performance.

Or not...

Someone else will step up to do the testing, until they don't. ;)

Entirely unrelated:

I guess there's some talk about a tool that lets you convert any distro to RHEL, including distros like Ubuntu. That has piqued my interest for the moment. (We're in off-topic, it's all good.)

(I'm steadily improving health-wise
Glad to hear it :) Bug hunting is fun. Have done it in the past as I used to package for a now defunct distro it came with the job :)

I'm feeling pretty good today, though there's still fluid in my ear, I'm like half-deaf.

I enjoy finding bugs. I don't really enjoy all the forms that need to be filled out. Filing the reports can be pretty tedious, but this one wasn't all that difficult. All you gotta do is open "Discover" (plasma-discover) from the menu and it throws a certificate error.

It was both painfully obvious, easy to trigger, and easy to replicate. The report was pretty much just letting the bug reporting software gather system information, filling in a very brief description, and adding a couple of screenshots. So, it wasn't too taxing. The hardest part was recalling my Ubuntu password so that I could file the bug from the system in question.

Members online