ARM Distribution Recommendation Needed

H

hkw_88

I am seeking a Linux distribution that works with ARM processors that will also operate from RAM and works well with TOR. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:

Will any of these distributions operate from RAM?

Last edited:
If you mean something like Puppy Linux or Porteus, I'm afraid not. It seems there's Puppy for ARM though.

Also... Raspbian is optimized for Raspberry Pi but it may run on your average ARM system.

Good luck!

I am seeking a Linux distribution that works with ARM processors that will also operate from RAM and works well with TOR. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've just learned something related to your question: many distros can run in RAM. I just interrupted a Debian 8.6 (amd64) boot and inserted the kernel option "toram". Once the system was fully running, I was able to remove the boot DVD. In fact, I'm using it right now. I don't know if there are some things that may fail to work, but besides connecting to the Internet and running Firefox, it also loads LibreOffice (which seemed like a good test).

I don't own any ARM systems, but you might try "toram" with a Debian for ARM version, or some other distro that you prefer and see if this works for you. TOR should run in about any distro, but if you install/run in RAM then you will lose it with each reboot. You might try to create a Linux Live USB with persistence, install TOR on the USB, and then boot that with the "toram" option.

I think you will probably be able to meet your needs, but it may take some fiddling around to get the right combination to suit you.

Good luck!