Are Linux Distros that are good for gaming good for those who want to 3D model, animate/develop games?

Iamgeese

Reaction score
Credits
No idea if you will be able to help me here, I came across Linux at the start of the pandemic for the first time when I randomly felt compelled to purchase a raspberry pi (maybe it was a sign!). I am a windows refugee. I 3D model, I use Blender, ZBrush and 3D Coat, also some video editing, sometimes I do VR on my Vive headset. I am fed up with Windows antics and now they have jumped onto the stupid A.I fetish wagon I want nothing to do with, now to top it all there is stupid adverts on my landing page, I dont want that crap on my nearly £2000 computer, no thanks. At this point its like you do not own your computer.

Since there is just so many distros I am not sure which one would suit me better to replace my desktop, I do know that I will have to use Wine to run some of my Windows locked software as there are no alternatives.

My Linux experience is, Debian for the Raspberry Pi, Kali (the occasional dabbling), Mint Cinnamon and Zorrin OS.

You can game on any Linux distribution, the different Linux distribution that advertise to be "Gaming distributions" only have all the gaming tools installed during the installation so that you don't have to install and set those up yourself. I don't know what tools for 3 modeling and gaming developing you use but generally speaking those can be installed on any Linux distribution as well.

So the question is do you want to just keep using Linux Mint or Zorin and install those gaming tools manually yourself or do you want to use a distribution that installs them for you? I don't know any Linux distribution that is focused specifically on 3D modeling and game development so those tools you will have to install yourself anyways which I would think anyone that uses those tools would know how to do.

Last edited:
Most open source programs such as blender are cross platform, so there is blender for Linux as well.
And for 2D design, instead of Photoshop you can use GIMP.

Programs which are Windows only don't work on Linux, search for Linux alternative, there is alternative for almost every program you just have to search for it.

For gaming, my working combo is Lutris + staging wine + latest Nvidia driver.
To develop games on Linux, the best solution is Unreal Engine, but I suggest it because it's future rich and based on C++, unlike some others comparable with UE like Unity which is based on C#.

Many game engines suck for many reasons so my favorite is UE.

Most open source programs such as blender are cross platform, so there is blender for Linux as well.
And for 2D design, instead of Photoshop you can use GIMP.

Programs which are Windows only don't work on Linux, search for Linux alternative, there is alternative for almost every program you just have to search for it.

For gaming, my working combo is Lutris + staging wine + latest Nvidia driver.
To develop games on Linux, the best solution is Unreal Engine, but I suggest it because it's future rich and based on C++, unlike some others comparable with UE like Unity which is based on C#.

Many game engines suck for many reasons so my favorite is UE.
I did just found Unity for Zorin OS havent tried it though. Literally just got Zorin running on my laptop

I did just found Unity for Zorin OS havent tried it though. Literally just got Zorin running on my laptop
Do you really want to learn corporate MS bloatware language called C#?

It's perhaps Mono on Linux, equally bloatware.

Members online

Latest posts