Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

APT update error message

Discussion in 'Debian GNU/Linux' started by Jim Laughlan, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Jim Laughlan

Jim Laughlan Guest

Hey gang!
    Long time no hear (or see)

Using Debian Jessie 8.7 now and I am getting this error message:
    W: Failed to fetch cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 8 _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot i386 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20160917-16:06]/dists/jessie/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Can anyone explain how to rectify this? The original install was the ISO burned into a USB dongle and installed from there. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Jim Laughlan

2. Crippled

Crippled Guest

I don't know, but you may want to check out MX-16 which is based off of Debian stable. I use MX-16 and has been very reliable, everything works on it's first boot up.

3. arochester

arochester Guest

Hi Jim
    Your sources list thinks that the CD is in use as a Repository.
    You need to edit your sources list and put a # at the beginning of the line about the CD.
    Not knowing what editor you might have, you could try nano with the command (as Root, either su or sudo) nano /etc/apt/sources.list