AppImg How do you install them to a desktop environment? (query satisfied)

Nik-Ken-Bah

Reaction score
Credits
I have a AppImg sitting in my downloads and I was reading an article by @KGIII and went to a website he suggested and I also noticed that there was one also for the Deb version on their download page.
But apart from that when I download a deb file that is not part of the Debian repository site.
The question then becomes -- How do I install the AppImg as well as the Deb. File?
I am well aware of the command on terminal sudo apt -get but unsure of the wording after the first command, to get the manager to get them and install them.

To install a .deb package that is not in the repo you can do:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i packagename
If it fails with dependency problems you can then do:
Code:
sudo apt -f install
or you can just install gdebi and use it
Code:
sudo gdebi packagename

This is how to use and install and Appimage:

Another good guide:

You could use dpkg like mentioned above, but it doesn't have any way of automatically manage dependencies. Instead I'd totally recommend using apt because as of recent it now supports installing .deb files that are stored locally. Just run the following to install a locally stored .deb file..

Bash:
sudo apt install ./path-to-package.deb

Never really used appimages before so can't help you with them sorry....

I might be wrong, but I don't think you can install appimages. I have a couple which I just run. In Lubuntu, I just went into file properties and clicked "make this file executable". I presume you'd need to do similar on other distros.

I think you could easily install the package as well (if available) as the appimage runs standalone.

Appimages are portable pkgs, meaning you don't need to install them, just make them executable and run. You can do this in 3 ways:
1. Using the file manager:
Open your file manager and navigate to the appimage location, in your case Downloads, select it and hit Alt + Enter, this will open the properties' dialog, click on the permissions tab and check the box that reads make this file executable or some similar wording, double-click the app to launch it. Some appimages will offer to integrate with the system, some will not, if your appimage doesn't, you can do it easily, now I don't know which DE your distro uses, but most have an option to edit the applications' launcher menu, so you can add apps to it and they are available, so check whether yours has such an option.

2. Using appimagelauncher:
Download appimagelauncher from its GitHub repo https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageLauncher/releases there are different formats for you to choose, you might want to use the .deb one.
Install it in your system with
Code:
sudo apt install ./appimagelauncher_2.2.0-travis995.0f91801.bionic_amd64.deb
I haven't used it but according to the instructions on that page, you just need to double-click an appimage for it to do its magic.

3. Using the terminal:
Launch the terminal and cd to the directory
Code:
cd Downloads
make the appimage executable
Code:
chmod +x pkg_name.AppImage
launch the appimage
Code:
./pkg_name.appimage
Launching the appimage from terminal, at least for the very first time, might be useful to check for errors, so I do recommend you do this, once you make sure there are no serious errors that may affect the appimage's functionality, then proceed to integrate it with your system, so you can launch it the same way you do with the rest of the apps, that is, via the DE's menu.

This is a must-read if you plan on using appimages https://docs.appimage.org/user-guide/index.html

Davy, G'day :)

Although I do not disagree with the above methods, there are what I regard as easier ways, and I can likely provide you with at least two (2).

Remind me first of your Distro name, version and desktop environment, and I'll cobble a couple of vids together during one of my days.

Cheers

Chris

Remind me first of your Distro name, version and desktop environment,
G'day Chris.
Linux Mint 19.2 Tina and DE is Cinnamon
The vids would be welcomed, thanks Mate.

This is a must-read if you plan on using appimages
Booked marked for future reference. appreciated.

you could probably handcraft a desktop file to launch that AppImage
Thank you for the link and booked marked for when I get over me nerves and have a bash at it.

Just run the following to install a locally stored .deb file..
Thank you for that appreciated.

To install a .deb package that is not in the repo you can do:
Thank you for the info and I also booked marked those links you gave for future reference.

there are what I regard as easier ways
Though I'm not the OP, I do use appimages, so please, do share those easier methods you know about.

Linux Mint 19.2 Tina and DE is Cinnamon
This is a very nice article explaining how to edit Cinnamon's application launcher menu. https://kerneltips.com/add-applications-to-cinnamon-menu-in-linux-mint-20

EDIT: By the way, I created an Appimage folder in my home to keep the ones I use, you might want to do something similar to easily locate and manage yours.

Last edited:
By the way, I created an Appimage folder in my home to keep the ones I use, you might want to do something similar to easily locate and manage yours.
We think along similar lines as I also like to keep identical files together like ISO's. Ya should see my PDF folder as I happen to be an avid reader of non-fiction though do have a couple of folders for fiction, have to so I have a plurry idea where I stashed a book.
I also bookmarked the link you gave, thank you appreciated.

The second method is for other distros which don't have as friendly a Menu Editor setup as Mint.
Is it creating an appimage.desktop file and placing it ~/.local/share/applications? Hmmm ... while I could agree that's easy enough, since he/she doesn't/didn't even know how to run an appimage, I didn't mention that one. By the way, KDE's menu editor is, IMHO, even friendlier. ;)

even know how to run an appimage
Mayhap it be because that I'm a non-geek geek with an argosy of thoughts running hither and tither; all disconnected yet connected trying to find, to see the whole pattern of the weave they form.:eek: :) And it at times can make me go slightly gaga.

Mayhap it be because that I'm a non-geek geek with an argosy of thoughts running hither and tither; all disconnected yet connected trying to find, to see the whole pattern of the weave they form.:eek: :) And it at times can make me go slightly gaga.
Or, it could just happen that you'd never used an appimage before, so you don't/didn't know how to, which is completely normal. :)

Regrets on being so long, my usual preferred screen capture solution, Vokoscreen, had its audio on the blink, so I installed and embarked on a learning curve with Simple Screen Recorder.

It's a little higgledy-piggledy , so watch it through a couple of times before trying it perhaps.

It seems it's over a year sice I did a vid, so I am a little rusty.

Cheers

Wiz

Edit - added BTW

BTW as with all instances of adding software from outside of your environment and its Repositories, it is a good idea to take a Tmeshift snapshot so you can roll back if needed. In this case I would advise a full snapshot to include Home, we will see later some changes made to Home.

Last edited:
Always welcome bro' :)

I have a couple more to start on this weekend, and get some more practice with Simple Screen Recorder.

Next is how to remove (completely) an AppImage if you don't like it or have no further use for it. Following that will be one on a couple or three alternative methods to edit your Menu for those who don't have the Cinnamon DE and its Menu Editor, or just want an alternative.

I am undecided yet whether to place the three of them in General and pin the Thread so it doesn't trail off into the Boonies.

If I do the latter, I will come back here and link to the new Thread so people can find it.

Cheers, Avagudweegend and Stay Safe.

Wiz