Anyone use Slackware?

I'm just curious if anyone on the forum uses Slackware.

There are at least 2 on here that use slackware including myself . previously i've tried Zenwalk, Zencafe Simply mephis, puppy, Anti-x , Mint ,Salixos plus i few more i can't remember. The only issue i came acrosss was with 32 bit 14.2 bit slackware having a try with laravel- basically the approach with htat php framework is to go virtual. INstall virtual box etc. On one package therev was only support for 64 bit .Apart from that i see no reason to try any other distro

I tried Zenwalk about a year ago.
Couldn't get the package manager to work properly. I think it had a bug.

Did the pkg mgr work for you captain-sensible?

I tried Zenwalk about a year ago.
Couldn't get the package manager to work properly. I think it had a bug.

Did the pkg mgr work for you captain-sensible?
I used zenwalk many years ago and got to it via Zencafe which i think doesn't exist anymore when i tried running an Internet cafe Ghana. I moved from Zencafe to slackware via salixos and a few others' see no reason yet to give up on slackware

I'm sticking with Slackware.
Runs great on my desktop and it's a real gem running on my Sony Vaio.

Slackware is the only distro aside from Fedora that the backlight works on the Vaio.

That's cool!

Did Slackware have a GUI in 1992 or was it all cmd-line?

I may end up putting this on a 12 year old PC that I have. Got lots of RAM due to my upgrades, but I am loathe to run Win10 on it (it is the first Core2Quad that intel made, the Q6600). That, and a friend's PC I was checking out (after they hadn't powered it up in literally years) had the HDD go out on me. I was able to save the pics they wanted, but the drive is now dead. They let me keep it, so I'll just a PATA drive in it (Old P4 with 256MB of RAM).

i've just done a new install - i bought a Hewlet packard 64gig that had Windows 10 on it. Dilemma was Windows would need 30gig i've been told, install slackware with a bit of room , log files etc 20 gig . So i wiped the whole thing.
Notebook: product: HP Laptop 14-cm0xxx (6ZJ47EA#ABU) vendor: HP version: Chassis Version serial: 5CG9325GD1 width: 4294967295 bits

Couple of things i re-learned i wiped everything so had to create 100Mb of code ef00 for new uefi boot. First i went to bios and disabled secure boot , then created the efi. For install i found the dvd install version of Slackware has everything boot up and tools and packages. now using ti to access this site

i've just done a new install - i bought a Hewlet packard 64gig that had Windows 10 on it. Dilemma was Windows would need 30gig i've been told, install slackware with a bit of room , log files etc 20 gig . So i wiped the whole thing.
Notebook: product: HP Laptop 14-cm0xxx (6ZJ47EA#ABU) vendor: HP version: Chassis Version serial: 5CG9325GD1 width: 4294967295 bits

Couple of things i re-learned i wiped everything so had to create 100Mb of code ef00 for new uefi boot. First i went to bios and disabled secure boot , then created the efi. For install i found the dvd install version of Slackware has everything boot up and tools and packages. now using ti to access this site

Did you create the efi partition with g-parted or did you use the partition mgr that comes with Slackware?

on booting straight from the dvd install iso i went into "setup" it detected i had wiped efi so dropped out of setup and used available " cgdisk " then back into set up . Everything is working but having to use external wifi adapter , since internal card for wifi n ot working. Its there because when i booted knoppix 8.1 from usb stick it managed to find and use it. looking into that problem with lspci | grep -i network , lshw etc :id:
network
description: Network controller
product: Intel Corporation
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id:
bus info:
pci@0000:03:00.0
version: 10
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list
configuration:
latency = 0
resources:
memory : fe900000-fe901fff

just installed chromium-77.0.3865.75-x86_64-1alien on launch it moaned about nss ; fixed that by installing mozilla-nss-3.40.1-x86_64-1_slack14.2

Thanks for the details, captain-sensible.

I just finished installing the new Chromium 77 too.
Works great.

Wondering if it's possible to install Slackware on an old HTC cell phone that I have?

I'll do some research and see what google returns.

Did you get any nss issue with chromium ?

don't know much about phones although i did once write a simple python program ->buildozer->android for phone. There is an ARM architecture branch for slackware i believe

Nope, no nss issue's.

Was the nss error something to the tune of: Error initializing NSS without a persistent database:?

error out put Network Security Services nss version should be 3.4 > it wasn't until updated

Last edited:

Members online