Anyone use Slackware?

I tried installing it on a VM, but the installation went alright, but I can't configure the system afterwards, no I don't need help with it, I'm happy with Debian (want to upgrade from stable to testing soon), but once I'm fed up with it, I'll try Salix, which I also have installed in a VM, and was very easy to navigate for a Debian user.

Hello salix is - a good way of using Slackware in a friendlier way. Give it a go.

I recently imported some things, but decided to not import the users, as there were quite a bit and there was a point when there were spammers signing up willy nilly.. so you will likely run across some posts by people that are now tagged 'guest', as it is in this case :)

Sorry for the confusion

Good to see ya again, mate!:)
Ok, just noticed the dates on this. Must have loaded one of the old threads from the old site. Looks like I got all excited over nothing:(:confused:.

I use Slackware and Fedora. Slackware was my first distribution. When I want news I use Fedora and when I want to compile, study and etc. I use Slackware :)

I'm just curious if anyone on the forum uses Slackware.

I don't know many people that do. I'm playing around with Slack again just for fun. It's actually a pretty good way to learn about linux without a super difficulty level. It does require some know how but it's A LOT easier than Gentoo. (no offense to any Gentoo users)

I was a Window user for long time -- different version I tried -- when PCI webcam card occasinaly lost driver. So I choose to try Linux; adventure started whith Red Hat, Fedora whitout knowledge of Linux. I was not satisfied than I'm starting to looking for other distro...Ubuntu, Opensuse, Mandrake ecc... Each one had something dislike.
One day I try Slackware (13.0 - 486) installed with success, from that day it's my favourite distro, and when I try other, I'm always return to Slackware.
I like slackware because
  1. installation - It's clear and CLI gui not require high resources. In addition a complete base installation during 30 minutes, plus 30 after configure software, account and restore backup data. This reason because installation not need network such as Debian Net Inst;
  2. configuration - Easy and speed using editor (I lke Emacs too), than some of KDE or XFCE;
  3. software - DVD contains all base software to normal user (to me I add a lot softaware);
  4. rock and solid - This distro don't abandon me evere;
  5. philosophy - ``If it's not breack don't repair'' according to me it's good and logic. I'm a normal user so I don't need the last program (except Firfox). The default software work so fine.
I don't like Slackware because
  1. add new program - When I want to add new program I must search each single file, from slackbuild or pkgs.org. So If a program need a lot of dependecies it's not a problem, but if package need more file, such as ffmpeg or openshot, searching became draining. This is a reason to try Debian Neinst, so I'm return to Slack :) ever.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Nice to finally meet another Slackware user.:D:D

Happy Trails,
Paul

well there is https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/slpkg/?search=slpkg

the basic use once installed is: # slpkg -F "packageKeyWord" // find a package and its repo
(see attached) Then to install :
slpkg -s "repo" "package"

It installs deps and has other features such as check deps. I found it quite useful and it a better alternative to https://sbopkg.org. The point about slackbuilds by the ways that although tedious for multi deps does teach you which deps are associated with which package and what they do.

Attachments

• slpkg.jpg
    slpkg.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 700
well there is https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/slpkg/?search=slpkg

the basic use once installed is: # slpkg -F "packageKeyWord" // find a package and its repo
(see attached) Then to install :
slpkg -s "repo" "package"

It installs deps and has other features such as check deps. I found it quite useful and it a better alternative to https://sbopkg.org. The point about slackbuilds by the ways that although tedious for multi deps does teach you which deps are associated with which package and what they do.
I know, mate. I did a thread on it last year.:)

Ya know, I started to look at this a while back, thinking of what a hoot it would be to make my own packages. But, it seems that every time I sit down and start reading up on it, something ,life mostly, gets in the way and I have to put it aside for a while. Perhaps, if the wife ever finds the perfect place, I can finally retire and get back to it. Sigh....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

well lets hope Slackware is still around then & Pat V is still going strong ? Was hoping there might be a new release 14.3 ? I did hear Pat V was going through a financial rough spell a year back

I hope Pat is still developing for the new Slackware 15.0.
I couldn't imagine life w/o Slackware.

what would you use if there was no Slackware ? I've never tried Arch but i'm told that would probably be the natural choice ?

Members online