Anyone use Slackware?

K

Kryyll

I'm just curious if anyone on the forum uses Slackware.

I don't know many people that do. I'm playing around with Slack again just for fun. It's actually a pretty good way to learn about linux without a super difficulty level. It does require some know how but it's A LOT easier than Gentoo. (no offense to any Gentoo users)

R

ryanvade

Plenty of people here on the forums use it. I keep a copy of it in a virtual machine for playing around with.

C

Cyber-Berserker

I currently have Slackware on my spare partition. Unfortunately, I do not have internet in my home at the moment, which means I have little time to play around trying to figure out the procedure for installing packages. Working from source is something that does not come naturally to me, so it is a slow experiment. Fortunately, everything that is needed is included with the system, so it works well for basic use without having to do anything. It is a solid system that I would recommend to anyone with even a modicum of ability with computers. I wish had such ability.:(

D

Darren Hale

As has been said slackware teaches you a lot about Linux. Makes you understand dependencies better as you are the dependency Resolutionist no package manager as such.

Stays pretty lean. Had great times with it and Vector a derivative of it.

G

grim76

I am pretty sure that @Rob runs slackware somewhere. I have heard him mention it before. I have ran it a couple times and I thought it was ok.

K

Kryyll

Personally, I love Slackware. I'm not sure why I enjoy not having a software repo and having to untar and compile source code to install a program. Also, Slackbuilds (and Slackpkg) make it really easy to get programs too.

Speaking of Slackbuilds, I was looking for a steam client for Slack and instead I found this program called "sl" and all it does is make a train go by on the screen.... Basically if you type "ls" incorrectly, you get a train. It's probably my favorite program right now. haha

D

Darren Hale

In my opinion when Puppy Linux Unleashed was using Slackware packages it was exceptionally stable when it was at version 3.01 and the packages are quality.

V

Videodrome

I'm looking at this again. In the past, I have looked into trying a USB install which seems to work very different from other distros I'm used to.

So far, I've dd'ed the file usbboot.img to a usb stick and successfully booted the installer. Since I know this works, I'm getting the DVD-ISO now.

If I bork my computer, I'll try Salix lol.

V

Videodrome

The install process for this was unusual for me, but I have a working Slackware with Wifi working. I had the USB boot on one USB and the DVD ISO dd'ed to another USB to read the packages. Frankly, the other tutorials I read encouraging people to make a single Hybrid USB were more confusing.

Now I just need to get a feel for how package management works lol

Also, I think I read the initial install is a 'heavy' kernel and one can try to switch that out.

V

Videodrome

Still new to this and the software install options do sort of remind me of FreeBSD Ports. So far, I just installed Chromium and I think it nearly 6 hours to compile on an old HP Laptop. Then I followed the directions to Installpkg with the new file and now I have my new web browser. Kinda weird to me since I'm used to Apt-Get or Pacman, but it all worked.

R

rkromer

Slackware is indeed an extremely stable OS. One of our servers is running it since... 16 December 2014 without any problem!

J

Jim Laughlan

I'm just curious if anyone on the forum uses Slackware.

I don't know many people that do. I'm playing around with Slack again just for fun. It's actually a pretty good way to learn about linux without a super difficulty level. It does require some know how but it's A LOT easier than Gentoo. (no offense to any Gentoo users)
An ISP I worked for used Slackware from Windows 2k server (an obvious improvement) and it never ran better since.

V

VP9KS

Just installed 14.1 from a DVD That I burned an hour ago. My notes from installing 14.0 worked out perfectly, and I was up and running in a matter of minutes. I'm using it right now. Now all I need to do is personalize it, and get all my favorites transferred over. Easy-peasy!:):)

B

Bethlehem

My 10 year old son uses Slack, installed it himself just to prove to me that he could.
He's on 14-1 and currently doing some reading on flipping it to 'Current'.
I used for a few years back in the 90s. Have no complaints.

@Darren Hale
Why did they have to include pulseaudio?
Bluetooth audio. It doesn't work with Alsa.

Members online