Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

Anyone use pfSense?

Discussion in 'Other Distributions' started by Videodrome, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Videodrome

Videodrome Guest

I managed to get this installed on a formerly Windows98 PC with an extra network card. The monitor attached to the PC displays a CLI, but any PC attached to the 'LAN' port can access the Web GUI.

I just wondered if anyone has used this and has any tips for Hardening a pfSense router system. At a glance, I'm impressed with how easy it is to install Packages. I guess I could try adding Intrusion Prevention applications, but I'm still working out how I would configure applications through the interfaces pfSense gives me.

Otherwise, it's been an interesting project so far. :cool:

2. ryanvade

ryanvade Guest

I have always wanted to get a pfSense box as a router/firewall but haven't so far. One of the few BSD OSs I like.

3. Froggocom

Froggocom Guest

I didn't get very far with pfSense because I had troube virtualizing it... but I've spent the last few months perfecting a small business network setup using Zeroshell. I would highly recommend it for a newbie who wants advanced features, and possibly the ability to create your own robust WiFi router with an old PC and a wireless card!