Anyone use a hosting service online?

V

Videodrome

Just wondered if anyone has any kind of website online using a linux-based hosting service. I'm interested in trying to build up my computer skills and using some kind of web page to be my resume and demonstrate what I know.

If the service doesn't allow all command line access, that's fine. I have used C-Panel or Plesk before. I just like the familiarity of Linux permissions and the programs I'll be installing. If the hosting site offers a One-Click install for things like Wordpress, Joomla, or maybe even Drupal, that would be fine to.

Just looking for something dependable and reasonably priced.

Just wondered if anyone has any kind of website online using a linux-based hosting service. I'm interested in trying to build up my computer skills and using some kind of web page to be my resume and demonstrate what I know.

If the service doesn't allow all command line access, that's fine. I have used C-Panel or Plesk before. I just like the familiarity of Linux permissions and the programs I'll be installing. If the hosting site offers a One-Click install for things like Wordpress, Joomla, or maybe even Drupal, that would be fine to.

Just looking for something dependable and reasonably priced.
Check out Hostgator. Hate the name, but I have had good luck for the most part with this site. Had a few glitches when they moved my account after the Hostgator was sold to another company, but back to normal now.

Reasonably priced, Linux/CentOS based, and provides all features you need, including SSH command line access.

Check out Hostgator. Hate the name, but I have had good luck for the most part with this site. Had a few glitches when they moved my account after the Hostgator was sold to another company, but back to normal now.

Reasonably priced, Linux/CentOS based, and provides all features you need, including SSH command line access.

Great feedback. I've heard mixed reviews of Host Gator, but maybe that is from the glitches with migrating accounts you mentioned. I'll check them out.

You will have to consider a VPS or Cloud environment, because if you pick Linux shared environment then you might not get the full freedom to install software or packages that you wish to check or test, as most of the host put certain limitation on their shared nodes…

Furthermore, if you don’t wish to have a managed hosting environment and just need a plain Linux VPS then check DigitalOcean, as they offer good resource with reasonable rates….

Members online