Any Web Developers here?

V

Videodrome

I've been in college learning programming, but I'm taking a break for the Summer. I'm looking for a Summer job, but want to try Web Development on the side.

So far, during college I've gone through HTML5, CSS, Javascript(jQuery), and SQL. I think simply understanding jQuery Plugins will help me out.

Oddly enough, I mostly feel unsure of where to begin designing a page because of the funkiness of CSS. So, I looked around and I've found a basic Website Builder called KompoZer which should work on Linux and be similar to Adobe Dreamweaver.

It seems a little odd to use a tool like that when I'm fresh out of HTML coding in college, but I'm thinking KompoZer could help me quickly get the basic elements all together Visually, then later I'll go into the web code and fine tune things or use my code knowledge to add great features like jQuery Galleries.

Just my thoughts on how to tackle this and I wondered if anyone else here does websites and if you have tips on workflow.

I've been in college learning programming, but I'm taking a break for the Summer. I'm looking for a Summer job, but want to try Web Development on the side.

So far, during college I've gone through HTML5, CSS, Javascript(jQuery), and SQL. I think simply understanding jQuery Plugins will help me out.

Oddly enough, I mostly feel unsure of where to begin designing a page because of the funkiness of CSS. So, I looked around and I've found a basic Website Builder called KompoZer which should work on Linux and be similar to Adobe Dreamweaver.

It seems a little odd to use a tool like that when I'm fresh out of HTML coding in college, but I'm thinking KompoZer could help me quickly get the basic elements all together Visually, then later I'll go into the web code and fine tune things or use my code knowledge to add great features like jQuery Galleries.

Just my thoughts on how to tackle this and I wondered if anyone else here does websites and if you have tips on workflow.
I know some HTML..... :) But I suck....... :3 Want some C Code.....? :>

Also, if anyone is a Web Developer, do you have a preferred Distro?

I think that is a good place to start. I've done some web development, but nothing fancy.

If you look at the output from KomPozer, it should give you an idea on how to fomat the output - just know a lot of these "builder" program's output it very noisy / busy.

From there, get an idea for layout issues, use a DHTML script to read a database, then decide what to display depending on output. I've used Perl as a CGI program; it would take options, read a backend database, then format the display depending on the data that was returned.

From there, I think the ideas will start to flow. Even if you dummy up some data in a fake employee database, you can start making screens based on employee address, salary, job level, etc - basic reporting type stuff.

Have fun!

If you look at the output from KomPozer, it should give you an idea on how to fomat the output - just know a lot of these "builder" program's output it very noisy / busy.

I've wondered about that. When I view page source for websites of local businesses around here, the code looks way overkill.

I wouldn't depend on any web builder. I might start something with it to get the layout and stuff. Then take all the extra junk out of it. There are several editors out there in the wild that you can select a browser to view your code in. I like bluefish/firefox this week. Just like having wisiwyg! Remember, clean code run faster & is easier to debug. good luck,

I've done basic web pages for a long time... VERY basic. But awhile back I wanted to demonstrate what @unixfish mentions above about the "noisy/busy output" that you sometimes want to decipher to figure out how a page is created. I think many of you will appreciate the example I provide below. The "test-html" page is my own very simple basic HTML code, creating the page you see. In stark contrast is the "test-word" page that used Microsoft Word to create a similar page in a document, and then "saved as a web page". So, while WYSIWYG editors can make the page... have fun figuring out any problems!!! View the page source on each example to see what I mean! :confused::eek::D
http://www.linuxgeeks.us/HTML-Test/test-html.htm
http://www.linuxgeeks.us/HTML-Test/test-word.htm

Cheers!

Well, I should note that many HTML editors do a much nicer job than Microsoft Word! But if you learn some basic HTML/CSS you will have a much easier time with any editor you choose. I mostly just use gedit these days for my simple work.

I'd go for pretty clean sample layouts plus code fine-tuning. Sounds oversimplifying but it's really possible to achieve robustness this way (given that you're familiar with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, *SQL if necessary etc).

I tend to avoid jQuery as it often goes full-bloat, mostly writing my own JS aiming max efficiency. Not always practical, still it's useful for getting increasingly intimate with programming logics at the very least.

Gedit with due plugins or even custom Eclipse/Netbeans setups might provide you with powerful developing features (color-styled code, natural identing, suggestions, auto-completion shortcut keys and so on).

As for the right distro... Same old story: up to you. I'd just add that it must run really stable and smooth on your system, otherwise frustration awaits (personal experience).

Linux is the best environment for development anyway.

Good luck in your webmaster journey!

Members online

Latest posts