AntiX LXDE Video 79MiB RAM: Is it true? É verdade? ¿Es cierto? C'est vrai ?

Not sure what you are trying to imply here…

Something better looking than Windows 95, for starters.

You can use what you want. I want modern tools where I don't have to go through six different tools to configure the network. I don't want to uninstall most of the applications just to get the ones I want. Claws mail, really? LOL I deal with hundreds of emails across a more than a half dozen accounts every day. The list just goes on.

By the way, I love LXDE. It doesn't have to look like Windows 95.

Also, what an OS does at idle is (I think) a pretty silly measurement. "Let's see... How good is my computer if I'm not actually using it?" I dunno about you, but I actually use my devices, so how much I can accomplish at the same time is a far more important measurement.

It doesn't have to look like Windows 95.
It is of course a matter of taste – No doubt I would not like the look of your desktop or wallpaper either – you would not even understand why my desktop is like it is..! Efficiency personified :cool:

So you threw in another red herring – Why?

Still do not know where you get your ideas from…

I want modern tools where I don't have to go through six different tools to configure the network
I use this single tool when I need my HP printer’s Wi-Fi connection otherwise it connects automatically to my Wi-Fi SIM hub remaining out of sight – simple, fast and efficient ;) see screenshots below….

Or as Wiki says - The Connection Manager is designed to be slim and to use as few resources as possible, so it can be easily integrated.

Or as Ubuntu says - Connection Manager (ConnMan) is a daemon for managing internet connections in Linux. The Connection Manager is designed to be slim and to use as few resources as possible, so it can be easily integrated. The primary use case is embedded systems, but it can be also used in desktop environments.
oFono is a mobile telephony stack for Linux. For Connman it provides access to data modems so that a connection to Internet can be created.
Ubuntu has Network Menu as the frontend for ConnMan. It uses Application Indicator framework to show the menu to the user and provides various dialogs needed for managing Internet connections.
The goal is to have all this working in Ubuntu Netbook Edition (UNE), but all the components work also with the Desktop edition. :cool:

Arch-linux have a very detailed page for geeks but as I said most of the time I do not see it and thus never gets in the way. What do you use..?

Surely you understand that the Topic - Locos por Linux videos are built from netinstall so don’t have the mass of apps that AntiX-22 Full has, as per my stock installation? I am still wading my way through them. I use various webmail accounts and get free cloud storage and other extras :)
Also, what an OS does at idle is (I think) a pretty silly measurement. "Let's see... How good is my computer if I'm not actually using it?" I dunno about you, but I actually use my devices, so how much I can accomplish at the same time is a far more important measurement.
Wo! did you miss my post #6 where I make a live screencast video with LO Writer loaded ready to edit whilst watching three webpage videos, one in HD, at the same time – Yup all three playing at once using 1.5GiB RAM out of my 3GiB – Yes RAM to spare – no where near Swap :)

Can you name a Distro-Desktop combo that starts inefficiently at idle that then by some miracle gets more efficient as more load is applied :D
Conn-1.jpg
Conn-2.jpg

Last edited:
Stripped down doesn't mean unusable. We use stripped down version of Linux for everything these days. Stripped down is a *good* thing for some folks.

I want a full-blown experience, with all the applications I need immediately available. Just my browsers have *hundreds* of open tabs.
I want just the bare minimum to get installed and online and I'll install what I want and what I need and nothing more.

Don't need some developers crapola bloat that they think everyone needs and wants.

I usually wind up removing all of the default unnecessary useless crapola and at the end of the day I have maybe a 5.0 GB to 7.0 GB Linux distro.

Keep in mind now that my reasoning for this is that I'm using 40 GB and 80 GB mechanical hard drives and on occasion may use a 160 GB hard drive.

By the way, I love LXDE. It doesn't have to look like Windows 95.
I like how Windows 95 and Windows 98 looked plain, boring and simple that's all ya need.

The Kiss philosophy "Keep It Simple Stupid" how can ya not like it.

So guess you just love this topic of netinstall by Locos por Linux giving you the bare minimum. :cool:
You also have AntiX-22 core - without any bloatware o_O
Don't forget KILS - Keep it Lightweight Stupid

LXDE-Desktop-33.png

Last edited:
So you threw in another red herring – Why?

I'm not sure you're using that correctly.

(I confess that I don't really read your posts, stemming from when you decided empirical data was somehow magicked away with a wattmeter - which shows a lack of understanding the subject but a willingness to opine on it. I just kinda glimpse at your posts to make sure you're at least following the rules. I can't reason you out of a position that you didn't reason yourself into.)

So, as I skimmed along, I noticed this one...

Yup all three playing at once using 1.5GiB RAM out of my 3GiB – Yes RAM to spare – no where near Swap

Again, you seem to think that's a good thing. There's nothing wrong with a lightweight system - that'd never be my claim. The situations you're trying to prove stuff with are, however, silly. Yeah, you can open a page in LibreOffice and play some videos at the same time. Of course you can. It's a stripped down operating system. You don't have things like Thunderbird open for days. You don't have a hundred tabs open in each browser. At the end of the day, you're saving a few hundred MB of RAM. That's irrelevant for me 'cause I consume 16 to 24 GB as normal.

If you couldn't do those things, you're defeating the purpose of a stripped down OS. If you go through your applications menu, they're all basic utilities.

What do I use for a network manager? I use 'networkmanager'... Well, I use a front end that easily lets me manage connections. You, on the other hand, use a light one. If you quote your own text, you'll see that you use something simile and light. That's not some great point, that's you demonstrating that you're using a stripped down operating system.

It's like your ego is attached and the concept of 'stripped down' is somehow offensive to you - but then you repeatedly point out how light your system is.

You don't have a hundred tabs open in each browser.
Wow one hundred tabs open in each browser I'm trying to imagine what you could be doing that would require one hundred tabs open in each browser. o_O

I couldn't even imagine trying to keep up or keep track where I was or where I left off with one hundred tabs open in each browser. o_O

Wow one hundred tabs open in each browser I'm trying to imagine what you could be doing that would require one hundred tabs open in each browser. o_O

I couldn't even imagine trying to keep up or keep track where I was or where I left off with one hundred tabs open in each browser. o_O

Stuff! I do stuff in 'em! This one only has 101 tabs open - and I regularly refer to many of 'em.

Hold on, I'll get you a pic...

WG6kjf9.png

Then, there's my bookmarks.

Stuff open in tabs is stuff I refer to maybe once every week or two. Stuff in bookmarks is archived stuff I refer to. Some of them don't get referred to that often, but I don't care if I 'lose' them, so they remain open tabs. If you see a lot of the same color/icon, that's usually the case. I'm usually referencing things across a site, researching something or other.

Again, there's nothing wrong with a stripped down distro. They're great for those interested in them. But, in my usage case, that paltry couple hundred MB isn't gonna matter in the slightest. So, I prefer all the bells and whistles.

Heck, as folks already know, I even like swap enabled!

By the way, my RAM usage is now much lower. I automatically discard (unload from memory) tabs that aren't in use. Man, that's a game changer. I can now have three or four or even five browser instances!

There's the whole reasonable concept, but RAM is meant to be used. (There's some law of diminishing returns stuff in there, and obviously you want spare RAM available when needed, but yeah... You paid for the RAM, you might as well use it!)

Wow that's unreal I can't even imagine.

I guess you are what is considered to be a power user.

I've had maybe a half a dozen tabs open at one time but that's rare.

I agree more ram is useful since ram is the workbench where the work is done 4.0 GB and 8.0 GB have always been enough in my computers.

I guess if ya got a need for it than yeah cool get it and as you say use it since ya paid for it.

I know hard core gamers who have 32 GB and 64 GB of memory multiple graphics cards and in debt to the hilt for their game computer.

I'm just a simple web surfer etc and don't require much for what I do.

Thought every OS had some form of app launcher – even window managers with a launch panel? However AFAIK there is nothing easier or more simple to customize your launch apps and their display order than with LXDE :) ;) – none of that modifying system files to put off Noobs :confused:

Just can’t imagine anything simpler than in this short video I made whilst modifying the Application Launch Bar – to make any applications you need immediately available.
Really don't need any Application launcher just launch the application from the terminal how hard can that be even for a new Linux user.

Wow that's unreal I can't even imagine.
Me neither - How do you keep Tabs on that lot o_O - why would you other than showing off...?:D
Just like Marvin the Paranoid Android - Brain the size of a small planet; and they ask me to open the door :rolleyes: - Hahaha
Really don't need any Application launcher just launch the application from the terminal how hard can that be even for a new Linux user.

I get what you are saying Bart - but suspect most Noobs coming from Win10-11 won't want to go near Terminal. :(
Then there are the questions of speed and ease of use....!

I can click a menu launch icon quicker than you can type Ctrl+Alt+t let alone type in the command... Welcome to the fast lane :cool:

I get what you are saying Bart - but suspect most Noobs coming from Win10-11 won't want to go near Terminal. :(
Then there are the questions of speed and ease of use....!

I can click a menu launch icon quicker than you can type Ctrl+Alt+t let alone type in the command... Welcome to the fast lane :cool:
Old habits. :rolleyes:

Old habits.
I know - I keep typing Ctrl Alt t - and nothing happens with AntiX LXDE as out of spite (I think) Antix who do not support LXDE and purposely deny certain features such as setup of keyboard shortcuts and other items such as reconfigure :mad:
This is why this Locos por Linux dude is slagged off by Antix for showing how to set up the hated AntiX with LXDE - all options open :)

This is one of the reasons I created this topic...

I quite like taking the piss by showing just how slick and fast my unofficial unsupported AntiX-22 Full LXDE can be considering that mass of apps that the Full version installs.
Have to say it has been very interesting finding out what all those apps and features actually do...
Can you imagine how slick and fast the old HP would be if I wiped it and did a netinstall with just my selection of apps and utilities? :cool:

So, we can see that this Locos por Linux netinstall of Antix enables all LXDE features with a fully customizable desktop adding LO, Gimp, Ffox Browser or whatever favourite apps you need. (Antix deliberately do not support LXDE and never will do)

It is therefore not as some have claimed a stripped down OS. It is not a tty command line driven OS. It is not a WM Window Manager OS either. Having got that bit sorted you can see just how fast, with ease of use combined, this Antix-LXDE setup is over the WM only offerings from Antix themselves.

Talking about Antix themselves, performance and ease of use – I was shocked to find this slow poke video on YT….

This guy Bob claims - Ways to get even better performance from antiX21 and IceWM. Works for older machines as well as newer ones…

IMHO it does the opposite… You can see how slow his machine is as it struggles with his resource-hungry setup going into the Red Swap Zone :mad: – OMG Is this guy for real I ask myself. This slow poke thinks that having 50 apps on his panel improves performance..! You will die laughing at how you have remove apps with a WM’s launch panel – just how slow is that requiring you to edit sys files or go through the Control Centre – enough to put off any Noob.

I asked Bob why his setup was so slow and going into the Red Swap Zone

He replied with that old chestnut that all slow pokes use – what was making his old Dell struggle was the Firefox browser tabs and other software running in the 2nd workspace, in addition to the screen cast software. You guys can judge if he is being honest…?

The bright Red Swap Zone in Htop had not alerted the slow poke that making a “Better Performance” video showing a struggling laptop was not a good idea..! :( lol :)

No wonder this Antix Bob has only 18 subscribers whereas our Locos por Linux has 22,000

I then made this short screencast video clip showing my fast AntiX-Full-LXDE setup going no where near the swap zone even while recording the screencast video using about a miserly 10% of my 3GiB It also at the same time shows just just how easy it is modify the Application Launch Bar within a proper desktop environment. Enjoy..

:cool:

Last edited:
It begs the question - why pay for RAM you don't need? :rolleyes:
(click video above and also video in post #6)
:cool:

Thanks so much for the Win95 approval for my LXDE setup or as Forbes would say ..Windows 95 Was The Most Important Operating System Of All Time :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthi...-most-important-operating-system-of-all-time/

Seven Ways Windows 95 Changed The World…. :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2015/08/24/windows-95-changed-the-world/

So thank you for the compliment. However those Antix devs have got the menu setup so cool that any menu item is available with just one shift right off the sub menu column.
Classic-Menu-03.png

Of course if you are into XP or Crapple I- you can set LXDE up to ape it – helping noobs
I-Menu-03.png

If you are into crass, infantile, garish colours or even neon colours LXDE can of course do this and make it look like a class of kindergarten infants have used up all their colouring-in crayons.

Or as one professional linux reviewer linked to DistroWatch put it…. highlights that go for all-out colour clash rather than tasteful minimalism. Think ’80s Doctor Who, and you’ll get the idea….. Unsuitable for professional use…!
Neon-Menu-03.png

Neon-Menu-05.png

Must admit when I first glimpsed your panel I thought it was a picture of street bunting…. Unless someone can show us different; IMHO this is the most inefficient setup seen anywhere on a Linux distro.

Happy New Year to All - Ziggi

Happy New Year to All - Ziggi

Welcome back and I'd strongly suggest moving on to other topics and making your actions constructive.

Members online