Answer to a newbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildman

Reaction score
Credits
I received a email message saying a newbie wanted to get off Windows11 and start using Linux but wasn't sure how to accomplish this. Well here is my two cents. I would go with a Linux Mint (latest version). Download this on to either a thumb drive or a disk (make sure it has a lot of ram). Once done boot up your system from the thumb drive or disk and then simply follow the instructions. Also YouTube has some good videos on doing this. Remember Linux is free. I dropped Windows a good while back and haven't looked back. Linux Mint looks are comparable to what one sees with Windows and that is why I suggest starting with that version. Your apps are all free and most of them one should be familiar with. Again I suggest utilizing YouTube on information about Linux and how to utilize it.
Wildman

I received a email message saying a newbie wanted to get off Windows11 and start using Linux but wasn't sure how to accomplish this. Well here is my two cents. I would go with a Linux Mint (latest version). Download this on to either a thumb drive or a disk (make sure it has a lot of ram). Once done boot up your system from the thumb drive or disk and then simply follow the instructions. Also YouTube has some good videos on doing this. Remember Linux is free. I dropped Windows a good while back and haven't looked back. Linux Mint looks are comparable to what one sees with Windows and that is why I suggest starting with that version. Your apps are all free and most of them one should be familiar with. Again I suggest utilizing YouTube on information about Linux and how to utilize it.
Wildman
+1 Linux Mint

Welcome to the forum

Favorite distros:

Regular weight - Mint
Mid-weight - MX Linux
Light weight - Linux Lite

Last edited:
I've not used Mint but it seems from on here that a lot of people use it and I assume they like it, sounds like sound advice.

G'day @wildman

Download this on to either a thumb drive or a disk

No, be sure to give the right advice.

You download the iso to your computer and then burn it to a USB stick or disk using burning software.

Once that is done, you can boot from the removable device (placing it ahead of the hard drive in boot order) and install from there.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

+1 For Linux Mint

My wife and I have been using Mint at home exclusively for 2 years and love it, just works.

Bob

Wildman
This post looks like trolling to me, because it is your first post and it does not say anything about yourself or your Linux interests. Did you join our Linux community only to create this new thread about a "friend of a friend email"? How did your "two cents" email response work out?

You can load a iso to a thumb drive or a disk and I did just that when I obtained Linux Mint 20.2. So I don't believe my advice was inaccurate as you claim.

You can load a iso to a thumb drive or a disk and I did just that....

The "loading" you refer to is using burning software such as Rufus under Windows, for USB sticks or image burning software for DVDs.

No claim about it, it is factual. But you can believe whatever you like.

Have a good day.

Wizard

If I am not mistaken I believe that Linux has a built in capability for making an iso. No I am not a troll and this Linux forum is not my default one. I like passing on what I have learned.

If I am not mistaken I believe that Linux has a built in capability for making an iso.
Yes, it's a command-line tool installed by default which is called dd and most desktop environments have a gui tool installed by default as well to create a bootable usb flash drive.

@wildman :-

An ISO is the format in which the OS download is delivered. "dd" is a command-line program that is used for copying - or "burning" - an ISO onto a disc or USB drive in such a way that it is then capable of being booted by your computer.

Many GUI software "burners" actually use "dd" as part of their 'back-end'. They just use the GUI to present it in an easy-to-use way.

Mike. ;)

+1 Linux Mint

Welcome to the forum

Favorite distros:

Regular weight - Mint
Mid-weight - MX Linux
Light weight - Linux Lite
As a complete novice with Linux but being extremely OK with Windows, I found the best and easiest way to go is Zoran.
this is provided by an Irish company and is extremely easy to use for someone who isn't into the way Linux works.
It can be downloaded onto a USB stick and boot your machine from that without intrfering with Windows in any way so you can try it out. Take a look and decide for yourself.

As a complete novice with Linux but being extremely OK with Windows, I found the best and easiest way to go is Zoran.
this is provided by an Irish company and is extremely easy to use for someone who isn't into the way Linux works.
It can be downloaded onto a USB stick and boot your machine from that without intrfering with Windows in any way so you can try it out. Take a look and decide for yourself.

I've used Zorin. It's a good distro.

I've used Zorin. It's a good distro.
TBH, despite being an avid 'Puppy' user, Zorin is the ONLY 'mainstream' distro I've ever had any time for. I've had a regularly-upgraded install on an external HDD for the better part of a decade now.....ever since my early distro-hopping days.

I just like what Kyrill & Artyom, the brothers Zorin, have done with it. Remember, these guys were still at school - just 12 and 14 years old! - when they released the first ZorinOS 1.0; that's pretty impressive for a teenager and a pre-teen!

Mike. :D

Last edited:
TBH, despite being an avid 'Puppy' user, Zorin is the ONLY 'mainstream' distro I've ever had any time for. I've had a regularly-upgraded install on an external HDD for the better part of a decade now.....ever since my early distro-hopping days.

I just like what Kyrill & Artyom, the brothers Zorin, have done with it. Remember, these guys were still at school - just 12 and 14 years old! - when they released the first ZorinOS 1.0; that's pretty impressive for a teenager and a pre-teen!

Mike. :D
I've recommended in the past for someone who insisted on something that look as much like Windows as possible. Of the distros I've personally used, that distro was Zorin. Feels rather lightweight too.

I guess I should have stated that if one has the room on their machine Linux Mint can be installed alongside Windows and one can have both on their machine. As I said I have now been using Linux Mint for a good while and flat state that I will never go back to using any Microsoft operating system. I by no means am an expert on Linux but I have been messing around with different computers and operating systems as far back as the early 1970's. I was what is known as a Military Personnel System Manager for the United States Air Force. I retired from the Air Force in 1988.

If one looks at the down line site they will find one that clearly indicates ISO.

Sorry, what do you mean by "the down line site"? Is that a site where you can download a Linux distribution. or other?

Wizard

down line site is a railroad term.... fwiw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online