Answer to a newbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm I thought you burn an ISO to a CD / DVD and Write an ISO to a usb flash drive.
That is correct because the term burning comes from when you burn files to a CD/DVD you will see a small layer added to the CD.
imgres

Like many words, I think burning as a term has now become generic, similar to referring to a BIOS when most modern machines are UEFI, there is nothing wrong using a word generically if it helps others to understand what you are trying to say

This thread has gotten silly, but does @wildman have the information they need for their email friend? How is the transition from Windows 10 to Linux Mint working out for them? It also seems that wildman is stuck as an intermediary, playing "telephone". Did wildman invite them to join Linux.org?

I am also curious to know which Linux-oriented websites that wildman likes and recommends.
Aye, true......but hell! ya gotta have a laugh sometimes... :D

(*shrug*)

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", y'know? And it's fairly obvious to ME by now that "wildman" is acting sorta "troll-like"....

Mike. ;)

Hmm I thought you burn an ISO to a CD / DVD and Write an ISO to a usb flash drive.

[Sphen note: Bartman must have edited the original post. I could not find this quote above, other than in f33dm3bits' post.]
That is correct because the term burning comes from when you burn files to a CD/DVD you will see a small layer added to the CD.
[image of CD showing difference between data and non-data portions of CD.]
Actually, the term "burn" in this context goes back to programmable read-only memory "PROM" chips. I wrote firmware and burned it to PROMs before CDs were invented. When the first user-programmable CDs appeared, they were called "CD-ROMS". Because they were effectively the same as PROMs, people called it "burning a CD-ROM".

These days, PROM chips and CDs come in erasable, rewritable forms, but we still call it "burning."

Actually, the term "burn" in this context goes back to programmable read-only memory "PROM" chips. I wrote firmware and burned it to PROMs before CDs were invented.
Those were before my time and that's I was explained in school that is where the term burning comes from when talking about CD's so I didn't know any better.

Those were before my time and that's I was explained in school that is where the term burning comes from when talking about CD's so I didn't know any better.
Now you know. If you look at the Wikipedia article on PROMs, they say that the term "burn" was used in the actual patent in 1956:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_ROM

When I first worked with PROMs, "burn" took on a different meaning: money! PROM chips were expensive. When a firmware update was needed for a system, you had to burn new PROM chips. I remember the boss being upset at the cost of PROMs when an update was needed. If a burn failed for some reason, the PROM chip was trash.

Later, they invented EPROMs and EEPROMs, which could be erased and re-programmed, saving a lot of money during the development phase.

Just about what I expect from individuals who try and make others think they are smarter than them. This started with me receiving a email message. I haven't a clue as to whom this individual is. If you look I have clearly stated that all I have posted has been done and accomplished by me. I also have clearly stated that I am not an expert for Linux. As far as another forum I will let individuals make up their own minds. I do not need this forum for myself as I have no problems in using Linux Mint and if I did I would not ask for help from this site.

Just about what I expect from individuals who try and make others think they are smarter than them. This started with me receiving a email message. I haven't a clue as to whom this individual is. If you look I have clearly stated that all I have posted has been done and accomplished by me.
Your intentions are getting more confusing every reply, what makes you think that anyone thinks that anyone is smarter than someone, it sounds more like an assumption everyone does their best to help out when they can? If you are referring to people adding comments for improving your howto in your OP than I think it's your assumption because this is a discussion forum, people even comment for improvements on regular members that post articles or howto's.

Last edited:
Just about what I expect from individuals who try and make others think they are smarter than them. This started with me receiving a email message. I haven't a clue as to whom this individual is. If you look I have clearly stated that all I have posted has been done and accomplished by me. I also have clearly stated that I am not an expert for Linux. As far as another forum I will let individuals make up their own minds. I do not need this forum for myself as I have no problems in using Linux Mint and if I did I would not ask for help from this site.
A bunch of people tried their best to understand what you needed and to help you. Whatever else you may have missed, I want to make that point very clear.

No, it wasn't.

Until now, it did not occur to me (or others, obviously) that you needed help finding the link to download Linux Mint, nor did it occur to me that you did not notice the "Download Linux" banner that appears at the top of Linux.org web pages. Sorry I missed those details.

. . . . .

At this point, I do not think that @wildman wants our help. I will not respond further in this thread.

Last edited:
wildman said
"This started with me receiving a email message. I haven't a clue as to whom this individual is"

So a total stranger has your email address ??.......and somehow knows that you have an interest in Linux?

If you get an email from someone you don't know...you delete it...simple.
m1213.gif

As for Write or Burn...doesn't matter to me...just like post...I can write a post or my computer can preform a post...Power On Self Test...again who cares.
m1204.gif

I'm closing this Thread, so not another day is wasted, let alone a week.

It is a pointless exercise from an OP who maintains an indefensible position and makes unsubstantiated claims, while pouring unfounded criticisms on our self-appointed experts (kidding, guys ;) ).

Let's move on to other pastures and help people who appreciate the efforts invested by our selfless actions.

Thanks, as always, to our good Helpers, one and all.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online