Ansible Tower - ReHat 8.5

Bit-10101

Reaction score
Credits
Hope this is the right forum.
I have gone through a lot of different tutorials of "how to get started with Ansible" and then write your first playbook.
But every tutorial has ended up not working as the tutorial showed.
I´ve tried Ansible on Windows Subsystem for Linux, Ubuntu and LinuxMInt.

So now I decided to switch to RedHat and install Ansible Tower.
In other words no more tutorials. where he author shows how everything works flawlessly and write your first playbook.

But anyway, again, encounter the first problem with the installation of Ansible Tower 3.8.1 on RedHat.

My question what does this error messge actually mean (I`m Linux beginner):
Code:
[root@svc-redhatManager ansible-tower-setup-3.8.5-1]# ./setup.sh
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity

This system is not registered with an entitlement server. You can use subscription-manager to register.

Ansible Tower Dependencies Repository -         499 kB/s | 524 kB     00:01
Error:
 Problem: cannot install the best candidate for the job
  - nothing provides python3-cryptography needed by ansible-2.9.27-1.el8ae.noarch
  - nothing provides python3-jinja2 needed by ansible-2.9.27-1.el8ae.noarch
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)
[error] Unable to install ansible.
[error] Ansible is not installed on this machine.
You must install Ansible before you can install Tower.

Should I first install
-Installera python3-cryptography?
-Install Ansible
And then it will work to install Ansible Tower
(It says something about repository and some subscription with register)

Really appreciate your answer

Last edited:

If you are using Rhel your system needs a subscription to access the Rhel repositories, that is why it's not able to find that package. You will be better off is you switch to Rocky Linux which is a binary clone, but if you are a beginner you should first get to know Linux basics before starting with something like Ansible Tower and as well as using a more beginner friendly distribution than Rhel or clone.

Last edited:
This seems to be the right option:
But the big problem is and where I have always failed is when the managed clients are Windows clients.
So, I would be very grateful if someone has some tip about how to manage Windows clients using credssp?

Last edited:
I have no experience with Ansible and Windows clients.

Me neither, I try and steer clear of enterprise based Linux

Ansible is available for just about all major distro's.
If it's not a deb or rpm for your distro, you can always do a pip install from python.

python3-pip install ansible

Ansible Tower is a GUI for ansible, it makes keeping track of playbooks, users, roles, scheduling tasks
a little easier, but it's nothing you can't do from the command line.
AWX is a clone of Ansible Tower.

AWX was available for CentOS as a docker container for a while, but I don't use CentOS anymore.
Most of these instructions also work for Fedora with slight modifications.

The "real" Ansible Tower is ONLY available for licensed versions of Redhat.
In fact it's not even available for basic subscriptions, it's an enterprise subscription add-on.

But the big problem is and where I have always failed is when the managed clients are Windows clients.
So, I would be very grateful if someone has some tip about how to manage Windows clients using credssp?

The other thing about Windows clients, is you need a recent version of Python3 installed on every client.

Members online

Latest posts