Another W10 laptop goes TUX

Mike13Foxtrot

Reaction score
Credits
Spent Sunday puttering around the house and took a 6 month old HP laptop and 500 gb drive and erased W10 and installed Mint.

If Tux takes control does MS cry? hehehe.

All systems functioning WiFi, BT, NV drivers... no issues and boots faster, shuts down faster, updates faster......

The way I look at it, there is no such thing as a Windows computer, just a computer that comes with a ransom note :D :eek::cool:

Hey Mike, I installed Mint on a brand new 500GB SSD and took out my old hard drive with Win10 and haven't regretted it one bit. My 8 year old HP laptop boots up faster, opens programs faster and is all around faster than when the laptop was new with Windows 7. I planned on making a dual boot laptop when I had 7 on it but had the unfortunate opportunity to download and install 10. My laptop ran slower than molasses at the North Pole. It was so aggravating waiting for it to do anything! That made up my mind to install Linux exclusively on my new ssd. I have enough space on it IF I decide to install a Windows OS making it a dual boot system.

Mutiny in my household i'm afraid- wife insists kids should have access to Windows and office suit. I did manage to put ElementaryOS on one laptop and of course i'm flying the flag with Slackware

I just thought, you could have installed Mint alongside 10 so you'd have an OS if there's something Linux can't do that the other OS can. I planned on doing that but didn't after installing 10.

I just thought, you could have installed Mint alongside 10 so you'd have an OS if there's something Linux can't do that the other OS can. I planned on doing that but didn't after installing 10.

On another HP with Win8 I used it to Pay bills. Turn on connect to bank click pay then turn off. 500Gb drive, half W8 half Linux Mint dual boots. The bad thing I found with HP laptops, They really like to make you work. Turn on hold ESC brings up boot menu no matter what I do. Over the past 8 months I boot to Mint only. Have not seen Win8 in all that time. Only my desktop is running Win10. No other MS OS's anywhere. :p Still have some old Picture negatives and a scanner that cannot run in anything but Windows. Scan the negative and then print a glossy Photo. Reg scanners just don't work the same.

Started with DOS. Eventually with Win 3. Then Red Hat. Suse. All versions of Win. Faves for Tux are Mint and Peppermint. So now Mint is on 2 laptops, Peppermint is on the other 2. Also Pi's seem to sprout up on their own around the house. :)

On another HP with Win8 I used it to Pay bills. Turn on connect to bank click pay then turn off. 500Gb drive, half W8 half Linux Mint dual boots. The bad thing I found with HP laptops, They really like to make you work. Turn on hold ESC brings up boot menu no matter what I do. Over the past 8 months I boot to Mint only. Have not seen Win8 in all that time. Only my desktop is running Win10. No other MS OS's anywhere. :p Still have some old Picture negatives and a scanner that cannot run in anything but Windows. Scan the negative and then print a glossy Photo. Reg scanners just don't work the same.

Started with DOS. Eventually with Win 3. Then Red Hat. Suse. All versions of Win. Faves for Tux are Mint and Peppermint. So now Mint is on 2 laptops, Peppermint is on the other 2. Also Pi's seem to sprout up on their own around the house. :)
I have an older Acer laptop that had 7 on it and I should have installed LInux making it a dual boot, but I didn't. So I have Mint on both laptops and the one thing I enjoy the most is how fast everything opens, runs, and downloads on my HP now. I was ready to throw it against a wall when 10 was on it.

Members online