Another Problem On This Site.

Thanks Rob

Reactions: Rob

I logged in to the site with Firefox...clicked on every Thread for three pages...still logged in. :)

I then logged in with Brave...first Thread...not logged in again...must be something with Brave. o_O

I've been using Brave for about a year and this is the first time it's happened...enough to drive me nuts. :eek:

There is a brave update...arrived here today. Hope it helps

I noticed on facebook via brave that one of the sites I visit has a problem connecting to it

Just as a matter of interest....cliock on the three vertical lines....go down and click on settings

click on the search circle/thingie...out on the right hand side....and type in login

Allow Facebook logins and embedded posts.....click so that this is ON

Give it a try now

They are all on...makes no differance but if I hit F5 and refresh it works...very strange.
m09004.gif

I've seen this a few times. For example, when I've made a post which included a link to an older, pre-existing post on Linux.org - sometimes when opening the link in a new tab in the browser - the page is rendered in the light theme, as if I'm logged out. But if I hit F5 to refresh the page, it renders in the dark theme and everything looks OK again. I haven't seen it very often. I've seen it a couple of times when I've clicked on links to linux.org threads in other peoples posts too.

I'm using Firefox. But I do have noscript and adblock software installed. So it could be something to do with that.

Look in updates, bob.....and see if the latest brave browser update is in there for you yet.

JasKinasis wrote:
sometimes when opening the link in a new tab in the browser - the page is rendered in the light theme, as if I'm logged out.
Just had exactly that on brave. The version is:
brave-browser-nightly-1.51.56.
Refreshing the page solves the issue.

-> I see Linux.org website failures every few days. I have never used Cloudflare for anything other than domain registrations, so I do not know how Cloudflare works as a web server intermediary. The Linux.org website failures give the appearance of a disconnect between the true Linux.org server and Cloudflare. Cloudflare displays a page showing icons of my device, Cloudflare's services, and the Linux.org server. My device and Cloudflare have green checkmarks, but the Linux.org icon has a red "X".

Frankly, I assume that the true Linux.org server goes down and reboots often. In every case, the Linux.org website comes up in a minute or two with no ill effects. Sometimes I lose a post-in-progress in the editor, but I have learned from bitter experience on many websites to Select All / Copy the text before clicking "Post reply."

Yeah, we get hammered for some reason frequently by bots. Here's showing the sheer amount of traffic/hits that come in from the last few attacks. Cloudflare seems to block them pretty well, but enough get through to swamp the server before they start blocking it seems like.

White image shows what cloudflare is getting, black image shows what gets through and for how long.

Attachments

• cloudflare_ddos.png
    cloudflare_ddos.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 160
  • nginx_ddos.png
    nginx_ddos.png
    24 KB · Views: 151
Yeah, we get hammered for some reason frequently by bots. Here's showing the sheer amount of traffic/hits that come in from the last few attacks. Cloudflare seems to block them pretty well, but enough get through to swamp the server before they start blocking it seems like.

White image shows what cloudflare is getting, black image shows what gets through and for how long.
That explains my experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Rob
It is very unfortunate, the more popular we have become, the higher the frequency of DDOS/bot attacks we see,
AT LEAST most downtime is seconds or just a few minutes, unlike a year or so when we were down not for minutes, not for hours but Days, we do not often see the Cloudflair checking connection page, but I, for one, would rather this than the other option of downtime.

Addendum
the parrot site was down again for 2 days this weekend, it is not monitored as well as this one.

I connect using double vpn, plus the one in the browser - make it triple.:p
When getting hit by these 'Bad gateway...' messages, I refresh the IP of the browser then all is good until ... the next.

I get many Cloudflare tests to prove I am human - probably 1 out of 3 visits. There are two types: One is a button, the other a checkbox. Either way, it takes one click and always passes the test.

My computer is on a typical residential internet connection behind a typical NAT/router/firewall, with a dynamic public IP address that rarely changes.

In Australia (NSW) I am accessing the site in a very 'normal' fashion....no Cloudflare tests at all.

I get many Cloudflare tests to prove I am human - probably 1 out of 3 visits. There are two types: One is a button, the other a checkbox. Either way, it takes one click and always passes the test.

My computer is on a typical residential internet connection behind a typical NAT/router/firewall, with a dynamic public IP address that rarely changes.
Me too. I get the Cloudflare message about half the time, at least.

I get the Cloudflare human verification prompt now and then, but it is not that frequent at least.

I went to log in on Google Chrome and get yellow lines running at the top of page and...oops we've run in to problems.
m1512.gif

Closed the "oops we've run in to problems" hit F5...I could log in but I clicked one Thread and got...not logged in again.
So the problem isn't just Brave...I'm using Firefox now and so far no problems but that may change.

Rob...when you explain why we get all these problems...it becomes clear...being very popular more so now than ever before it attracts the lowlifes which is a shame.
m1519.gif

Members online

Latest posts