another noob

W

williamdlee

with zero programming or computer skills whatsoever, trying to do stuff that is way beyond my limited capacity for thought. Hopefully my journey through here will teach me something besides the fact that I have no business trying this.

Every long journey needs a first step...LOL

That's old, but true.

Be Welcome!

I have a question, can anyone recommend a good book or website or some similar resource that I can read up on the basics of using my pc with an eye towards developing future skills in coding and programming? I am looking for a kind of a "start here dummy" type book that tells me the basics and builds from there, everything I have found either reads for experts or people who have never seen a pc before and most of those were written in the early 90's

nothing yet because I have yet to figure out how to download it without damaging the windows OS I have in place, I did order a cd of mint 17 cinnamon to try a live load, but have yet to receive it.

with zero programming or computer skills whatsoever, trying to do stuff that is way beyond my limited capacity for thought. Hopefully my journey through here will teach me something besides the fact that I have no business trying this.
lulz

well, so far so good, I have linux mint 17 running on my laptop now, I am busy exploring all that it has to offer and seeing how it compares to windows vista

A week ago I too was only just learning how to install Linux, having limited computer skills, when it all went pear-shaped and my laptop seemed broken, but thanks to the helpful folk here I too now have Linux installed properly :D

Welcome, good sir!..... :3 I first tried Ubuntu without ANY knowledge of Computers or Programming..... (I mean, I knew how to do all of the BASIC, every DAY stuff, but..... :)) I learned fast, and that's coming from a guy who came from Windows 7!..... :3 I still use Linux, even to this day..... :D

Jumped in over your head, eh mate? No worries!! There is a lifeguard (the Linux.org crew) holding a pole over your head. Just pretend you are a tadpole and enjoy the swim!! Everyone here wants you to succeed! Enjoy the journey!

Paul

Can I just point out that this thread is roughly a year old? No need to reopen it, especially since OP hasn't been here in a while. :p

OK. I understand there may be no need to keep commenting here, when the "Noob" it relates seems no longer to use the forums.