Anonymous Search Engine

MikeTux

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys!

I wanted to introduce you to a new anonymous search engine, of course everything runs under linux.

A cookie is not even necessary for the search, the search query is not visible in the address bar.
This is the only way to guarantee that nobody can read what you are looking for.

tuxdex.com

We have enhanced the TUXDEX web interface and index. We've now enabled techniques like auto suggestion.

Since TUXDEX is an anonymous search engine and many visitors also use a proxy, we are boosting the browser language of the visitor but not geo boosting. Many sites have no geo information and you would have to trace the user to determine the origin location and deliver geo results.

We have already indexed more than 10 million domains and performed a deep crawl on wikipedia and university sites.

Write me what you think, how you find the results?
I would have to know the keyword and possibly your expected domain or comment.

Last edited:
<paranoid>I'll wait for others to click the link provided by this new user. Let me know how cool it is. ;)</paranoid>

Against my better judgement, I tried it out with lynx (text-based browser) What I saw:
- The search does seem to work, and results were fairly on par.
- Lynx did not report receiving cookies (bonus!) from the search site.
- Because I was using Lynx, the link buttons, which I assume are for "paging", showed up like:
Code:
(BUTTON______________) 1
(BUTTON______________) 2
(BUTTON______________) 3
(BUTTON______________) 4
(BUTTON______________) 5
(BUTTON______________) 6
(BUTTON______________) 7
You might need to set the name/title of the buttons so they show correctly in text-mode browsers.

Is the site in alpha/beta/production?

Hello SlowCoder!

Thank you for your visit and your feedback.
Parts of the search engine are production, parts under development.
I have tested the site with Lynx and I am happy that it is quite compatible.
The page navigation (1, 2, 3.. ) that incorrect display that Lynx users see
cannot be easily solved. I am sorry, but i will improve it

Last edited:
Other choices:
neeva
metager
qwant
yacy https://yacy.net/
searx - can be selfhosted
Brave

SlowCoder, I have corrected the incorrect display of the page buttons, now the page is also displayed correctly for Lyxn users.
Thanks SlowCoder for the hint.

Hello!

We have made the search faster, the web interface has received some updates and the index has grown.

I wanted to ask you how you like our new logo?

tuxdex.png

We would be very happy if you search at tuxdex.com

Hmm... What's the name of your robot?

I took a look at your SearchEngine, it doesn't even have a way to search for only images, videos and news like most other modern search engines have now. Also one question, is it a closed or opensource search engine because I don't see a link to a github page?

The name of the bot ist INETDEX-BOT. At the moment it is a pure text and pdf search engine, but we are developing the search engine further, TUXDEX is not open source.

TUXDEX is not open source.
It might be a better idea to choose a a different name and logo so something without Tux because the Tux generally stands for free and opensource software. It kind of gives you the first impression that your SearchEngine is free and opensource.

I understand but TUX is actually the mascot of Linux and stands for Linux.

I understand but TUX is actually the mascot of Linux and stands for Linux.
Linux is free and opensource and people generally relate Tux to free and opensource software, as your logo is a Penguin and name of the search engine Tux. Put one and one together people will get the first impression that your search engine is also free and opensource, so it's confusing.

That may be possible, but most people don't know TUX and they've only heard of Linux.
It will be possible to search only in Linux topic pages.
Maybe it will get people to use Linux?

Almost all Linux users that has been using Linux for a bit will know that Tux is the Linux logo. To give you an idea, I am not a BSD user but I do know the BSD logo is called Daemon/Demon nicknamed Beastie.

I don't mean the Linux users. More than 90% of people use Windows, Mac, Smart Phone or Play Station and not Linux and they don't know TUX.

But i told you that we are working on a niche search engine for linux.
That will take a little longer, the pages that are included in the index are selected by hand.
There will come an option to browse only Free Software sites.

That may be possible, but most people don't know TUX and they've only heard of Linux.
It will be possible to search only in Linux topic pages.
Maybe it will get people to use Linux?
Using Windows might get someone to use Linux ; using tuxdex ..mmmm what might that make me take up ?

Staff online