Annoying Keyring Popup

Matt73

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Kind People,

I just installed Elementary OS. I wanted to see an automatic login option when I was installing it but didn't so I set it up having installed the program. One of the things that bugs me about Linux is constantly having to enter my password. When I was a total newbie trying to copy and paste a file and got a message that I didn't have permission I was like 'it's my computer...what do I need permission for?..I'm not hacking into the Pentagon here'. If I had my way, there would be an option to never have to enter any password at all ever. It's just me on one laptop trying to record an album so no need for all the stringent security.

Anyway, at least I don't have to enter it on login. But now, I keep getting this 'keyring' popup coming up everytime I open a program. I can cancel it but how to get rid of it? And why release a brand new OS and ask for money with such a blatant bug? Apparently it's got something to do with auto login. Anyway, I fall back once again on the charity and kindness of the users here to help me out.

Then that's because the keyring isn't unlocked at login. If you disable automatic login, you should no longer have this problem - and you should only need to enter your password when logging in or when doing takes that require admin rights.

Ok, but I want automatic login. I don't want to have to enter my password when I login. That's why I chose automatic login. Is this some kind of bug?

Bug? No, not really. The keyring is normally unlocked when you enter your password at login. You're not doing that, so the keyring isn't unlocked. This means the OS will continue to ask you to unlock it when it feels necessary.

There may be another way to stop it, but the only way I know of is to login manually. Now that you know the cause, you can look around (using your favorite search engine) to see if there are other options. Someone else here may know of another way, so they may chime in.

Ok, but I want automatic login. I don't want to have to enter my password when I login. That's why I chose automatic login. Is this some kind of bug?
I encountered this problem many times, years ago. Follow this guide:

Last edited:
Perhaps this may help

Ok, I entered the command to install seahorse and then went into it and deleted all the login passwords and it worked! An issue resolved. But what a bloody pain. It should all just work when you select automatic login. Anyway, thanks kind people. I will try to pass your kindness on...

Staff online

Members online