AnitaOS - A DIY Distro - You build it yourself

thanks a lot for u reply @darry1966 .
im new to linux . my question is this ...
after installing anitaos i need to install browser .
how to install browser (palemoon) by going to sourceforge page link ?
i mean install it by using PPM or terminal ?
i need ur help in this ...

thanks a lot for u reply @darry1966 .
im new to linux . my question is this ...
after installing anitaos i need to install browser .
how to install browser (palemoon) by going to sourceforge page link ?
i mean install it by using PPM or terminal ?
i need ur help in this ...

If you click on the link below you can directly download Palemoon then simply click on the downloaded .pet to install it - no need to use ppm or terminal just click below and install. To wget simply type wget and the link lettter for letter below example wget https://sourceforge.net............................................

https://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos/files/Anitaos/Internet/Palemoon Builds/palemoon-27.5.1-p4-glibc219tweak.pet/download

Last edited:
Once you install browser you will be able to browse the the other catergories on the AnitaOS site.

PPM has older software if you want an older browser not sure how old your machine is.

@darry1966 thanks for ur guidance & care. i got success in installing browser by following ur instructions. my pc is P4, 2ghz , 1gb ram .
How to add "volume control " or speaker icon to tray ? (icewm) (i donno how to do this . i cant find guidnace for this on net )

Last edited:
In my Icewm configuration default there is no volume control in the tray as I wanted a simple unculttered setup and usually adjust volume from the mutimedia section from the menu.

If you wish you can use JWM instead which has the volume control in the tray, simply logout then type xwin jwm.

yes @darry1966 i like AnitaOs.
i find these issues ... ( Need ur guidance )
1. The help icon is not working... menu>others >help
2. At the starting page of desktop "welcome ..click here for getting started information"(automatic pop up ) is not working .
3 . when shutdown the pc its not shuttingdown completly , there is message "system halted " . (Only in this Os i find this error )

Last edited:
You need to make Palemoon your default Browser for HTML viewing. To achieve this do the following, Using Rox-filer go to the following folder /usr/local/bin. Right click on defaulthtmlviewer and left click on open as text option

You will see this as below
#!/bin/sh
exec gtkmoz "$@"

Change the gtkmoz to palemoon. or whatever browser you wish to be default to browse the help file and open HTML pages. and left click save from the file menu as by now a text editor should have opened up like geany or leafpad.

As for your shutdown issue - I'm guessing you have a desktop and when I had desktops only one my machine I can recall had this issue and it required me to press the power button again to shutoff the machine.

@darry1966 .. i set palemoon as default browser following ur instruction. yes , i use desktop computer . And i have to press powerbutton again to shut down . Only in AnitaOs i have this issue .(other puppy versions shutdown normally ).
Any fix for this ?

Last edited:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49029

You'll find a file called menu.lst so add to the kernel line - something like eg. kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
At the end of that line add acpi=off then save to find this file go into roxfiler and you will need to get out of the default root directory by pressing the up arrow on the left at the top and rightclick on menu.lst file and left click open as text. Make change and save. The above post if applicable as 4.31 is the base of AnitaOS.

As im using LICK for Anitaos above mentioned is not working . i see lickmenu.lst only and its not working . Any fix possible ?
@darry1966

Last edited:
I'm sorry not really familliar with LICK seems to be an installer otherwise not familliar with it may work with more recent Puppies.

Hi,

I just installed the AnitaOS on my old laptop.
I installed AnitaOS onto hard drive to the partition /dev/sda6 .
On this hard drive there are more operating systems: Windows 7, Windows 10.
After I installed AnitaOS, I I made the mistake that I reboot the laptop.
I get the 'No operating system found' message.
Then I boot the AnitaOS live CD and install from there the grub with the commands:
mkdir /mnt/sda6
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/sda6
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/sda6 /dev/sda​
Then reboot laptop, but get grub without menu.
What can I do from there to get the grub menu?

Best, Pal

Staff online

Members online