And Ya All Thought I Vanished...

Baddc053

Reaction score
Credits
Nope, Ya ain't that lucky and Holidays are over. Hope you all had a great bunch of Holidays.
Now to get to the meat of my new topic...
I run a site and was just getting used to using Blue Fish as an editor, it started acting up and finally just ceased accessing different directories/folders.

I thought maybe it needed a system reboot, so I rebooted.

I then thought the program got compromised somehow, So I uninstalled it, went to software manager got a spiffy new one...same problem.

I've tried other editors, I like Sublime Text, does everything I need it too...but it isn't free. The site is just a Hobby for Deb & Myself so not wanting to put lots of money into it makes sense to us, even though we could afford it. Paying for the ISP is enough. Anyway Sublime Text is out.

I'm now trying Brackets, I truly like it, but unless I'm missing something somewhere (A decent possibility, and reason I'm doing this post) It's only capable of opening one screen at a time, Every other one I've tried I can have many open and working on, I had Blue Fish open 27 once (at 28 it shut down).

So if anyone has any thoughts on if it's myself, or the program not doing it correctly, please let me know.

And if anyone knows the reason why when I enter an ( ' ) apostrophe, it looks fine in HTML, but once uploaded to the site it becomes gibberish I'm all eyes and ears. The strange part is I'll enter it, save & upload it and it's crap. I'll edit it with the exact same apostrophe save it and upload it and everything is fine.. just annoying.

Thanks Again.

Sublime is (or was) free-ish. You can use it indefinitely, though it may nag you and some of the more advanced features aren't free. But, if you're just banging out some code for a website, like HTML or PHP, it should be just fine?

Sublime is (or was) free-ish. You can use it indefinitely, though it may nag you and some of the more advanced features aren't free. But, if you're just banging out some code for a website, like HTML or PHP, it should be just fine?
It is still free, Kind of, but again as you said, the nag screen is really distracting. But you're correct twice, for what I do I don't need many fancy features, I don't have advertisers to keep happy..We have none, not here to get rich, just something to occupy our time.
Our next project we are going to attempt is to build a roll top desk, For the price of them we thought we could save a couple thousand dollars, learn something and have quality time on something else we both enjoy doing. And we get a finish color we want, not just Oak ;)

Thanks for the help also.

Off topic but

Our next project we are going to attempt is to build a roll top desk

You should start a Thread on that in Off Topic and let us have progress reports and pictures from time to time.

I am not a carpenter's bootlace but I would be interested.

Wiz

Off topic but

You should start a Thread on that in Off Topic and let us have progress reports and pictures from time to time.

I am not a carpenter's bootlace but I would be interested.

Wiz
That's a good idea, I've wanted one for a long time, growing up my dad had an old executive bankers roll top, tons of pigeon holes and a few hidden locations, when he retired he gave it to a neighbor, at that time it was worth a fortune, would be priceless today.
We we're going to buy one...but not worth the asking price, and too few options, one would be the same as the next.
As I see it, toughest part will be the actual roll top. 2 options on that, one seems like band-aids & bubble gum, other is more complex but accurate.

Our next project we are going to attempt is to build a roll top desk, For the price of them we thought we could save a couple thousand dollars, learn something and have quality time on something else we both enjoy doing. And we get a finish color we want, not just Oak ;)
Around us, large, beautifully crafted pieces of wood furniture can hardly be given away. That includes roll top desks. Young people don't want them and older people are trying to downsize. It is rare that the local Habitat for Humanity store near us does not have a roll top desk or two on the floor for sale.

Building your own takes serious woodworking skills. Good luck!

Between Deb & myself I believe we can do it. She's more detailed & perfectionist than myself and always up for a challenge. When she was younger she worked the high tension wire towers, all at 4'11" and 98#.
She only gave that up because she grew tired of guys playing grab ass. That was pre sexual harassment days.
All thrift stores locally are pretty much picked over second hand junk. Good stuff goes straight to Tampa. And they are cut throats to deal with.

You make me feel a little guilty. I have a giant six car garage and the back half is a fully function wood shop.

I barely spend any time out there. I did all my cabinets and some stuff for the house, and haven't done much but putter ever since.

You would be the big guy on campus here, Most everyone here maybe has a 2 car garage...most though are just car ports, but a complete wood shop? I'm jealous..Deb has some things, I have some things as well, so between us we'll have basic tools. I feel we'll be putting a couple bucks into buying/renting the other items we'll be needing, or find a wood shop locally and see if they'll do it...like planing, dovetailing drawers...I could buy drawer blanks..but not sure of quality or size options, We are capable of doing the drawer fronts & cabinet drawers. Not so comfortable with doing locks & holes, that is why there are still locksmiths around. Only thing I'm mostly concerned about is getting the basic item..wood. Not to sure that Home Depot has real walnut. A friend once made a regular desk out of tiger wood, that cost him huge bucks.

You make me feel a little guilty. I have a giant six car garage and the back half is a fully function wood shop.

I barely spend any time out there. I did all my cabinets and some stuff for the house, and haven't done much but putter ever since.
Old tools are simple and basic, but I wonder whether any of your modern woodworking tools run Linux under their hoods.

I wonder whether any of your modern woodworking tools run Linux under their hoods.

The only electronic tools are a radial arm saw and I square it up and then zero it in. Then, there's a CNC (subtractive) router that still sits in its crate, more or less. I bought it 'cause it was on sale and I was drunk-shopping online. I'd not be surprised to find out that it's Linux under the hood. I have never learned how to use it. That's on my 'to do' list.

Everything else is pretty basic, including some that are pretty ancient. Like, I have a Rockwell 28" planer that takes three men and a boy to move. It came from a trade-school's sell-off, which is also where I picked up my drill press and jointer.

The dust collection system is pretty new (well, about 15 years old). My table saw doesn't even have a digital fence. It's not even all that fancy, but it's the full-sized bugger from Sears. It'll take up to a 16" blade. I bought it used. I think it's probably from about the 70s. It's old school - belt driven with three different belt settings to control your RPMs.

I have all the tools... All of 'em...

Well, I don't have a lathe and I don't have any real machine shop tool. I don't really work in metal, but I do have an arc and MIG welder. My garage is similarly outfitted - but I sometimes use those tools, though I do so less and less as I have people who will take care of all that stuff for me. I can't really maintain it all on my own anymore, but that's a long story for another day.

dovetailing

Look up how to do dovetails manually - with a Japanese saw or a back saw, a chisel, and a square. Once you learn that, you can make dovetails faster than you can set up the jig to do them with a router.

On the table saw I have a short story on that...My dad back some 50+ years back had some left over 2x6's from a remodel we did, He had an old simple table saw, just a small one, made a bench out of the wood, put the table saw in it, and we ended up with a table saw that was 4' wide and 6' long and worked great, had a barn fire a couple years later and it was gone just like that. It too was belt driven and no fancy fence..but we could trim up a piece of paneling in a flash. Really sad part was he was old school, the barn was way old and he only had insurance for $100 on it, lost his shirt on that. At that time we had an arsonist doing his evil deeds, quite a few barn fires, and end result was it was one of the guys on the volunteer fire department.

Look up how to do dovetails manually - with a Japanese saw or a back saw, a chisel, and a square. Once you learn that, you can make dovetails faster than you can set up the jig to do them with a router.
I was just doing that, the video said it's cheaper and many times they are also stronger.
Debbie is going to kill me...but she's just as interested as I am in this.

I was just doing that, the video said it's cheaper and many times they are also stronger.

It's not even hard, once you get your head around it. I can bang out a couple of drawers worth of dovetails before you can set up your jig and get the right bit on the router.

Well, faster than I can set up the jig and find the right bit and put it on the router. You could be faster than I am!

My life has had many twists and turns and I've developed a few hobbies over the years. Working with wood is something I got from my father. I've since taken all kinds of lessons, bought all sorts of gear, and it mostly just sits idle now that I'm "done" with what I needed to do. I figured the shop would get more use than it does.

On a positive note, my friends all know I have the shop (and some pretty basic rules). So, the shop does get used. I'll sometimes leave 'em mostly alone and sometimes help a bit, but it doesn't get nearly enough use.

I really do want to figure out the CNC machine before I die. It's pretty much just math. I fricken' love math!

Also, at this point, I feel your question is still valid - but that this is probably better suited for the off-topic sub-forum.

Wiz or myself can probably cut and merge and whatnot, or the whole thread can just go there.

I confess to helping it go off topic. I'm pretty good at that! AND I had some help, thank you very much!

I first got involved with woodworking from working in a furniture factory, that once was one of the biggest, until their bean counters messed up and they closed up shop. Used to be Schweiger Industries. Now it's R.I.P. I learned CNC at Zenith Sintered, but decided that wasn't my biggest interest..Ended up driving forklift the rest of my working years, that was Okay, just fast paced...was a Pasta Sauce factory.

My nephew has a Shopsmith he inherited, and never used it..neither did the person who gave it to him. I could probably get it fairly cheap, but he says it a pain in the ass to set up & switch for different jobs.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts