An example Ubuntu bug - for your edification...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This is a new bug. You can see how it gets processed, reported on, and acted on:

This is the kind of bug we'd never want to get into an official published release. You can check it now and again to see the progress.

Fortunately, this bug is about when you *install* Lubuntu/etc. I do not do the installation tests. I do the live tests. It means 'snot up to me to work on this one. There's also enough confirmation that anything I'd add won't help. Still, it means I get to take it easy with this bug. It's a short day of testing (which I'm late doing).

I figure it may be interesting to see.

Grub 2.06: A decision hasn't been made by the Ubuntu Foundations Team yet on which way they'll go, ie. responses to https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2021-December/041769.html at least as far as I'm aware (most are away currently anyway; Dec 17 was last day of year before Christmas/New-Year break up for most Canonical staff except for those tasked to fix security issues etc).

It'll mean a number of current QA-testcases will fail (on BIOS boxes anyway), as I wrote about here but really I was late to the party (I'd seen Bob's bug report shortly after initially filed as I tend to watch #ubuntu-bugs-annouce) but at this stage I'm not worried as I won't be hitting my head on the issue in QA-test installs until 21.04 reaches EOL & my current support installs of that release switch to jammy QA-test installs). As some of those installs are done on boxes I actually use; I'm not looking forward to it :(

It'll impact all Ubuntu flavors with this testcase for example (that's just one!), though as stated before on BIOS boxes (not all hardware), but I'll for sure notice it.

I for one hope for a quick fix, alas I suspect it won't beat 21.04's EOL and I suspect I'll be hitting my head/fist on the keyboard many times within a month.... :confused: [needing more time to return my boxes back to how I use them post QA-test].

Nice. I think it important to see how bugs get dealt with and how difficult it can be. This one is well above my pay grade, thankfully!

FWIW, when I thought about the problem, the 1st answer was what I was thinking. Just add it to the install process, etc... But, I'm a layperson and that seems like a kludge rather than a real solution.

Members online

Latest posts