AMD Ryzen Mobile For Linux.

Saramsh Troublesome

Reaction score
Credits
I was able to use ubuntu when i formatted my hard drive but after installing Windows 10 and trying to dual boot Linux mint or Ubuntu i wasn't able to install it. After i press Install now or try ubuntu before installation or check the cd for error. I get some text's flash and black screen. I waited for 15-20 min but it didn't show any response.
I am able to use linux in Virtual Box but its a lot laggy and the experience is not good. When i was able to use ubuntu in the past my wifi and touchpad was not working. My current laptop is Lenovo idealpad 330- 15ARR.
My laptop specs are
-Amd Ryzen 2500U 2.0ghz
-8 Gb of DDR4 2400mhz Ram
-vega 8 graphics (built in)
-1TB hard drive.
-I have updated the bios to the latest and is in UEFI.
I tried using virtualization on and off
fast boot on and off nothing worked for me..
Help me.....plz

Hi Saramsh, and welcome to Linux.org!
What you have fallen victim too is a clean hard drive and installing Windows 10 after Linux was installed. To dual boot successfully you need to install Windows first, then Linux. A quick google will provided some good written info on this and quite a few good videos. Do you have info on the hard drive you need to recover? If so you could boot the computer with a live Thumbdrive version of your linux and copy files to the thumbdrive, if it is large enough, or get a second thumbdrive or external hard drive. Once you have done that, I'd use gparted (comes with Linux) and remove all the partitions on the computer's hard drive, then do a clean install of Windoze 10. After that, come back here and one of us can help you install your Linux for a proper dual boot with Windows 10. It is very important to do certain things to have a successful dual boot with windoze 10. This includes not installing personal files until both operating systems are installed and working properly. The main problem with windoze 10, and dual booting, is it's use of hibernation and fast boot to give the illusion of fast boot times.

Sorry i didn't mention above but i have clean installed windows 10 then i tried to install ubuntu first and linux mint but both of them show a black screen after few line of white text after i select install ubuntu or linux mint.

Did ubuntu or Mint run in the live mode, properly on your computer, with all devices working? The AMD Ryzen line is pretty new, and I've read a few times where people have had problems installing a Linux Distro with a Ryzen system. Not to sound like I'm preaching, but it is best to always test the distro and Desktop Environment before you attempt to install it.

Nope After i installed windows 10 in UEFI none of the distros i tried run in the live mode. But few weeks back when i used legacy or MBR partition in windows i was able to get live on kali linux and ubuntu.
I used Legacy at first and currently i am using UEFI. Installation is not working after i changed from legacy to UEFI.

I was able to use ubuntu when i formatted my hard drive but after installing Windows 10 and trying to dual boot Linux mint or Ubuntu i wasn't able to install it. After i press Install now or try ubuntu before installation or check the cd for error. I get some text's flash and black screen. I waited for 15-20 min but it didn't show any response.
I am able to use linux in Virtual Box but its a lot laggy and the experience is not good. When i was able to use ubuntu in the past my wifi and touchpad was not working. My current laptop is Lenovo idealpad 330- 15ARR.
My laptop specs are
-Amd Ryzen 2500U 2.0ghz
-8 Gb of DDR4 2400mhz Ram
-vega 8 graphics (built in)
-1TB hard drive.
-I have updated the bios to the latest and is in UEFI.
I tried using virtualization on and off
fast boot on and off nothing worked for me..
Help me.....plz
Hey I have the same laptop as yours but when i try to install linux mint on it with usb when i am on the installation screen, i can move the cursor around and interact for 15-20 seconds and the screen freezes completely. What do i do in this situation?

Hi Saramsh, I have some experience in use Linux on Acer A315-41G: Ryzen 2200U. First properly work was Linux Solus Budgie (from flash written with rufus 2.18 in dd mode), whithout any modification. Second Linux is Xubuntu 19.04 beta (from flash written with rufus 2.18 in iso mode), with pci=noacpi kernel option. Good luck in Linux!

Hey I have the same laptop as yours but when i try to install linux mint on it with usb when i am on the installation screen, i can move the cursor around and interact for 15-20 seconds and the screen freezes completely. What do i do in this situation?
I think there may be some problem with our BIOS or some kernel issue.

Hello! I tried Fedora 30 beta XFCE on Ryzen 2200U (Acer A315-41G), and its work fine! Bootloader - grub2. Kernel - 5.0.

G'day Nurik....ENGLISH please.

Members online