Am i going mad? MX Linux issue

I absolutely loved Antergos!!! Some program called yay broke when it updated to a new version and I gave up too soon, instead of just waiting for a fix.

That is the one that got away! You never now what you have until you loose it.

"I will do my crying in the rain." A-Ha(the Band)
Yeah, Antergos was all right but making your own customized Arch install is better. For instance, my system is Arch x64, I installed awesome wm and xfce as my desktops, I use awesome most of the time since is keyboard driven and I love that and xfce for specific tasks. I learnt with time what are the programs I like and need the most. I use clementine as my music player, although cmus is quite good too. VLC for videos, calibre for ebooks and the tipical soft people use plus something personal like apertium for translating documents and stuff, with omegat is a great combo for translators. I suggest you to install virtualbox and distrohop via VMs, it's easier and you learn a lot that way, just saying. I learnt how to install Arch using vbox. Remember you're using Linux so don't take the fun out of it, keep in mind sometimes things don't go the way you want and that's fine, just keep learning and growing with whatever distro you choose to use. :)

Remember you're using Linux so don't take the fun out of it, keep in mind sometimes things don't go the way you want and that's fine, just keep learning and growing with whatever distro you choose to use. :)

You are right Tolkem. I used Zorin 9 for years and it made me really lazy to learn, but Arch is a bit of a jump from "I can't tie my own shoelaces" Ubuntu based distros.

Lubuntu 18.04, I am using now also makes me lazy.

Maybe I will try to install Debian testing with LXQt in August. The last time I tried to install it with the netinstaller ISO, I ended up with no desktop. Must have missed a step or two?

Yes I know about that, but it was not the problem.

The problem was that it played the songs but did not recognize them. In MX Linux.

On Lubuntu, Rhythmbox shows the album and songs instantly on start up. I just click extract and there it goes saving the CD to hard drive.

Oh I see what you mean. I'm normally not good with advice when i am not in front of the problematic PC. Could be a codec/addon/extension issue.

Could be a codec/addon/extension issue.

I think it's a codec issue. When you install Ubuntu or Lubuntu, you just choose the option of installing extra codecs and drivers during the install. After that everyting works, no more troubleshooting.

I think it's a codec issue. When you install Ubuntu or Lubuntu, you just choose the option of installing extra codecs and drivers during the install. After that everything works, no more troubleshooting.

Doesn't installing restricted extras or build essentials fix the issue?

Doesn't installing restricted extras or build essentials fix the issue?

I really don't know why Rhythmbox didn't work in MX Linux, but it just works in Lubuntu, although it's really intended for Gnome and not for LXDE.

I am just sticking to Lubuntu because everything from WIndows to Manjaro is to complicated for me to fix if something goes wrong.

I really don't know why Rhythmbox didn't work in MX Linux, but it just works in Lubuntu, although it's really intended for Gnome and not for LXDE.

I am just sticking to Lubuntu because everything from WIndows to Manjaro is to complicated for me to fix if something goes wrong.

I like Linux because it's an open landscape. At least you have found something that you seem comfortable with. It took me a few years to learn and understand Linux before i was comfortable enough to switch. I still Google solutions or simply discuss them in forums to this dayMy go to media players are VLC and MVP. They simply work on any distros

It took me a few years to learn and understand Linux before i was comfortable enough to switch.

I switched to Zorin 9 when my Windows 7 would install updates anymore and the internet stopped working. Didn't use Linux before that at all.(2014)

It was a easy transition for me, because everything worked.

Lubuntu is the same. Of all the many distros I have tried this year, there are only a few that's so reliable, that you don't even need support.

That's what I consider a good Linux distribution. Something that doesn't break stuff after a update and is ready to use, out of the box.

Better than Microsoft Windows.

Maybe I will try Mac one day, but I will have to sell my old car and buy a scooter. Perhaps have some small change left for a Big Mac.

@Tolkem
That's why I love Arch; I can install as much soft as I want and need.

Are you saying Arch has more software choice than Debian?

As to music players why not XMMS?

MX too bloated? Try antiX!

@Tolkem

Are you saying Arch has more software choice than Debian?

As to music players why not XMMS?

MX too bloated? Try antiX!

Well, I never gave it a thought but now that you mentioned it ... I googled and found this on the arch wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_compared_to_other_distributions it clearly says Debian
is the largest upstream Linux distribution with a bigger community and features stable, testing, and unstable branches, offering over 148 000 packages. The available number of Arch binary packages is more modest. However, when including the AUR, the quantities are comparable.
But no, I wasn't, what I meant is just that you can add as much or as few software as you want/need. The same way you would if installing Debian via netinst.iso; it's a minimal system you can build up to your needs. MX Linux is a good distro and so is antiX, specially antiX net.iso which you can build the system with up to your heart's content.

I believe in MX and antiX there is a codecs installer in the menu and/or Control Panel; also choose Defaults and pick the app desired when a music CD is installed and User is able to tell it what its to do -- play, record or show in file manager. It's Debian. It's now a lot easier than it was. (Tho no 'restricted-extras,' per se).
Broadcom wireless used to be a REAL pain!

I understand that many people would like MX Linux, Manjaro, Ubuntu and Windows 10 because of the big software selection. I just see them as bloated.

I use MX Linux and it does come with a lot of software that I'll never use however it runs great OOTB.

Manjaro was OK and for the most worked good it has a lot of software in the repository.

Ubuntu you can install the minimal and then add the software you want build as you go.

Lubuntu is even slower than MX Linux

I disagree based on my use of both Linux distros.

I will only distro hop again if the Lubuntu project ends.

The only thing ending in Lubuntu is the LXDE window manager.

I'll always distro hop it's fun to try out the new Linux distros

Remember you're using Linux so don't take the fun out of it, keep in mind sometimes things don't go the way you want and that's fine, just keep learning and growing with whatever distro you choose to use. :)
Exactly.

Well said Tolkem.

Members online

Latest posts