Alternatives to Ubuntu?

Reaction score
Credits
So Ubuntu installes flawlessly on my old laptop but refuses on my new gaming PC. Any good distro that works on my hardware? I5 6500 3.2GHz, gtx 1070 ti, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd, motherboard is gigabyte h110m-ds2

How exactly does it refuse? What do you see? What does it say?

Ok.

But Linux Mint is based on...Ubuntu!

Ok.

But Linux Mint is based on...Ubuntu!
It is but... Mint is like the second evolution of Debian (Debian --> Ubuntu --> Mint) and even though it's based on Ubuntu, many things in Mint work better than they do in Ubuntu.

It is but... Mint is like the second evolution of Debian (Debian --> Ubuntu --> Mint) and even though it's based on Ubuntu, many things in Mint work better than they do in Ubuntu.

I had the same experience with Debian 9 and Lubuntu 18.04 last month.

Music programs didn't work right in Debian and I had some system freezes with web browsers too. Installed Lubuntu 18.04 and everything works without fail. The beaver just keeps on going!

Do you know which version of Debian Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is based?

I had the same experience with Debian 9 and Lubuntu 18.04 last month.

Music programs didn't work right in Debian and I had some system freezes with web browsers too. Installed Lubuntu 18.04 and everything works without fail. The beaver just keeps on going!

Could be because Ubuntu, and Mint even more so, include 'proprietary' software with their distribution or make it readily and easily available so stuff works.
AFAIK Debian does not include any closed source, proprietary, binary blobs.

Not sure. Probably Debian 9. I don't keep track of that part about Ubuntu. All I know is that my Mint (my signature) is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (and uses the same repos) and Mint 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Could be because Ubuntu, and Mint even more so, include 'proprietary' software with their distribution or make it readily and easily available so stuff works.
AFAIK Debian does not include any closed source, proprietary, binary blobs.

That's very true, I only installed some extra media codecs in my Debian 9 based Q40S distribution.

I also looked up that the Debian 9 based distro I was using has the Linux 4.9 kernel and the Lubuntu 18.04 I am using now uses the Linux 4.18 kernel, which seems to work better with my 2012 hardware. AMD A10-5800k APU. That's weird!

Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure. Probably Debian 9. I don't keep track of that part about Ubuntu. All I know is that my Mint (my signature) is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (and uses the same repos) and Mint 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I did find out that Lubuntu 18.04 uses Linux kernel 4.18 and the Debian 9 nightmare I was using in February still use Linux kernel 4.9.

I can only guess that the later kernel had some good features added?

I occasionally experiment with different kernels using Ukuu ...BUT..i always have a Timeshift snapshot saved just in case something goes awry. I also have a full backup via Clonezilla and keep a usb handy with my original OS on it (Linux Mint)

You are not tied to the one kernel.

Good practice is to settle on a kernel where all running is smooth....and then leave it alone..

A good healthy dose of searching will sometimes reveal problems other users have had with specific kernel updates.

The answer to this was more difficult to find than I had expected!
Ubuntu is not necessarily built from just one version of Debian.
It looks as though Ubuntu 18.04 is built from Debian Buster/Sid 10.
I found the info here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/445...on-are-the-different-ubuntu-versions-based-on
sid is the development distribution of Debian (sid - testing - stable)

I occasionally experiment with different kernels using Ukuu ...BUT..i always have a Timeshift snapshot saved just in case something goes awry. I also have a full backup via Clonezilla and keep a usb handy with my original OS on it (Linux Mint)

You are not tied to the one kernel.

Good practice is to settle on a kernel where all running is smooth....and then leave it alone..

A good healthy dose of searching will sometimes reveal problems other users have had with specific kernel updates.

You are absolutely right, Linux kernel 4.18 seem to work very well for my old PC.

The answer to this was more difficult to find than I had expected!
Ubuntu is not necessarily built from just one version of Debian.
It looks as though Ubuntu 18.04 is built from Debian Buster/Sid 10.
I found the info here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/445...on-are-the-different-ubuntu-versions-based-on

Thank you so much for your trouble. You are right, Lubuntu 18.04 LTS is based on Debian 10, which is the testing version of Debian. All I am sure of it works much better than the Debian 9 based dsitro I used last month.

Older is not always more stable.

Members online