Alternative to WIN 10....Formerly tried Lindows/Linspire

G

GIL HIGGINS

Hi I'm back for another look at possibly converting to LINUX from Windows10 and was wondering how much progress has been made with the LINUX Program since I first tried it out Via "Lindows/Linspire
"? Are there any Downloadable "Trials" available comparable to the Disks that Lindows offered where you could simply install the CD or DVD and Re-Boot into the Iinux OS without Installing it on your computer first???

Not all distros offer a "Live" version, but most do. Most are also DVD size now, with some exceptions, or you can make a "Live USB" and boot from that. With some distros, you can enable something called "persistence" on a USB so that it will even save your settings, passwords, and let you install other programs not included with the original distro. I think persistence has a 4 GB limit though, so you have to watch for that.

Linux development has not been stagnant since you last looked. There are many new things going on. Burn a few ISO files and check some out. Debian, Ubuntu (and its MANY variants), Fedora, openSUSE, and a host of others will make very nice Live systems. And most are now UEFI compatible for installing on newer hardware as well.

Cheers!

Hi I'm back for another look at possibly converting to LINUX from Windows10 and was wondering how much progress has been made with the LINUX Program since I first tried it out Via "Lindows/Linspire
"? Are there any Downloadable "Trials" available comparable to the Disks that Lindows offered where you could simply install the CD or DVD and Re-Boot into the Iinux OS without Installing it on your computer first???
Wow, Lindows hasn't been mentioned in a while. I think you would like Zorin.

Members online

Latest posts