Alternative to WIN 10....Formerly tried Lindows/Linspire

G

GIL HIGGINS

Hi I'm back for another look at possibly converting to LINUX from Windows10 and was wondering how much progress has been made with the LINUX Program since I first tried it out Via "Lindows/Linspire
"? Are there any Downloadable "Trials" available comparable to the Disks that Lindows offered where you could simply install the CD or DVD and Re-Boot into the Iinux OS without Installing it on your computer first???

A

atanere

Not all distros offer a "Live" version, but most do. Most are also DVD size now, with some exceptions, or you can make a "Live USB" and boot from that. With some distros, you can enable something called "persistence" on a USB so that it will even save your settings, passwords, and let you install other programs not included with the original distro. I think persistence has a 4 GB limit though, so you have to watch for that.

Linux development has not been stagnant since you last looked. There are many new things going on. Burn a few ISO files and check some out. Debian, Ubuntu (and its MANY variants), Fedora, openSUSE, and a host of others will make very nice Live systems. And most are now UEFI compatible for installing on newer hardware as well.

Cheers!

R

ryanvade

Hi I'm back for another look at possibly converting to LINUX from Windows10 and was wondering how much progress has been made with the LINUX Program since I first tried it out Via "Lindows/Linspire
"? Are there any Downloadable "Trials" available comparable to the Disks that Lindows offered where you could simply install the CD or DVD and Re-Boot into the Iinux OS without Installing it on your computer first???
Wow, Lindows hasn't been mentioned in a while. I think you would like Zorin.

Members online