Alternate Scanner Software?

J

John P

Does anyone know of any other scanning utility that is not based on Sane. My scanner a Canon CanoScan Lide 90 is not supported on Sane. I tried using Flegita, Gimp, Simple Scan, Xsane, Scanner Utility,and Gscan2pfd. They all seem to use Sane to work. I have even tried to open the Canon software in Wine but still can't get it opened up in Linux Mint 13. I only need to scan once or twice a month and have to dual boot into windows xp to scan which is a pain. Shouldn't Wine be able to open the canon program?
Thanks John P

I don't think it works on Linux.

Either you need to keep using it on Windows XP.
Or it apparently works if you virtualise Windows within Linux.
Or it might be time to get another scanner. (I have various charity shop scanners and 3-in-1s)

No proprietary support for Linux right now.

You could try to research through kernel changelogs (maybe there's an older or younger version that will recognize your scanner) or just try distributions with newer/older kernels. Try booting from a live, bleeding-edge image of archbang, or from an old puppy, in order to check if you can scan something, for instance. I don't think it will work, but who knows... Sometimes there are minor changes in generic drivers that do the trick.

My laptop wifi works perfectly on kernel 3.6.x, being horrible from 3.7.x on until 3.12.x, when it started to work well again. Maybe your scanner also got "lucky".

If you manage to run canon program via wine, it won't scan anything. You won't be able to install windows drivers.

It looks like the Canon Lide 110 is supprted fully by Sane and is only about $50.00. I did try opening the exe file with Wine , but it won't do anything. Someone suggested I try a program called ScanTwain from Kodak. I downloaded the tar file and unzipped it to my desktop, but don't see any way to open the program. (Use Terminal?) Looks like I will be visiting Amazon soon. Until then I will continue to dual boot into XP to scan and update my Garmin GPS's........

I was going to open it up to get chipset info, etc. There are no screws in the back or any obvious ways of opening it up. Apparently they already have a lot of info on it including the Chipset GL842. Don't know what else they need that they don't already know.

Members online