alt+sysq + REISUB doesn't respond

Roddy

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!
I have a samsung 300E laptop with Ubuntu. Lately it freezes often when I am using Firefox and as I cannot make the REISUB magic to work, I end up holding the power button after even 30min of waiting to see if it stops processing. I am afraid to break it, and I don't find a solution.

I followed this tutorial but in the end I got a "permission denied" to change the value of kernel.sysrq to 1 (I wonder if it is really necessary to do that so the key combination works). I tried again with sudo and still got permission denied.

Any idea why the key combination is not working?
And, as to how can I prevent Firefox to freeze the laptop? Could it be a RAM issue?

nVidia?

G'day Roddy and Welcome to linux.org

You used the word "lately"....(lately it freezes).....It has not always done this ?

That would suggest an update perhaps...?......firefox update?

Do you have Timeshift installed ..??
If you do, you can easily send the system back to a time before the more recent updates.

If not I would suggest you become acquainted with it.

Which Ubuntu are you running ?
Laptop or Tower?
Ram
hdd
all specs please...otherwise we are all flying in the dark

G'day Roddy and Welcome to linux.org

You used the word "lately"....(lately it freezes).....It has not always done this ?

That would suggest an update perhaps...?......firefox update?

Do you have Timeshift installed ..??
If you do, you can easily send the system back to a time before the more recent updates.

If not I would suggest you become acquainted with it.

Which Ubuntu are you running ?
Laptop or Tower?
Ram
hdd
all specs please...otherwise we are all flying in the dark

Hi Condobloke,

Yes, lately in the sense that it happens more often, and each time more likely to not be able to come out of the freeze state by itself.

I don't have timeshift. I will search and install it.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS on a samsung E 300 laptop

processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4
memory: 3,8 GiB
Code:
ludi@ludi:~$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        3940920     2407564      128148      289952     1405208      985744
Swap:        999420      622132      377288

Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 3000 (SNB GT2
Disk: 736,3 GB
GNOME: 3.28.2

Any ideas?

Timeshift will be in the Software Manager on Ubuntu

That leaves finding out just why it freezes in the first place.

Graphics cards are always suspect

I am not so familiar with Ubuntu ....however.....If you were to click on Menu....then type in Drivers........is there a driver shown for that graphics card ?...can it be updated from there?....is it using a proprietary driver?.....please understand I am flying somewhat blind here.....

Timeshift will be in the Software Manager on Ubuntu

That leaves finding out just why it freezes in the first place.

Graphics cards are always suspect

I am not so familiar with Ubuntu ....however.....If you were to click on Menu....then type in Drivers........is there a driver shown for that graphics card ?...can it be updated from there?....is it using a proprietary driver?.....please understand I am flying somewhat blind here.....

When I open "Software and Updates" and then open the "Additional Drivers" tab, there are "no additional drivers available".

@Roddy -- it appears to me that neither Intel nor Samsung offers a graphics driver for linux in that model 300E. You may have to go with NDIS wrapper for windoze driver.

If you had nVidia card it may have been slightly easier. Can't say for sure, though.

@Roddy -- it appears to me that neither Intel nor Samsung offers a graphics driver for linux in that model 300E. You may have to go with NDIS wrapper for windoze driver.

If you had nVidia card it may have been slightly easier. Can't say for sure, though.

Hi sp331yi,
So you mean the freezing may be due to a lack of graphics driver? I was convinced it was due to updates, since this behavior didn't always exist, even after installing Ubuntu. But I really don't know.

So I would have to install NDIS through the "Software and Updates" tool?

and in the meanwhile, do you have any idea why the alt+sysrq+REISUB combination doesn't work? I had to power-off the laptop once again now; I am afraid it might break the disk.

Has the kernel updated lately.?

If it has, does the update of the kernel coincide with the problem you are having ?

There has to have been a change if the system worked ok before.

Have you done a backup of needed material...docs, pics, music etc etc.....even a copy and paste to a suitably sized thumb drive would save you.

Has the kernel updated lately.?

If it has, does the update of the kernel coincide with the problem you are having ?

There has to have been a change if the system worked ok before.

Have you done a backup of needed material...docs, pics, music etc etc.....even a copy and paste to a suitably sized thumb drive would save you.

I do all updates as soon as I am notified, and I did several since the freezing episodes started, It has been a few weeks. Maybe the last 2 weeks it got worse; I have been using the laptop more often and I have been increasing the number of tabs opened while doing quite some more multitasking than before.

I am creating a copy of the important files.

I tried to run firefox in safe mode. It froze a bit for a few seconds, sometimes along the day, but not as before.

I am trying to clear the cache more often, and to do shorter sessions, after I found a couple of threads like this one:

but still, why would the memory issue become bigger overtime? And why would only some users experience it? I wonder.

Change browser and see if it still freezes.

Just install Chrome with no add ons.

Change browser and see if it still freezes.

Just install Chrome with no add ons.

Files saved. Thanks for the reminding.

Thanks for the suggestion also. I feel like if I change to Chrome and it works well, I might stick to it. But I really like Firefox and would like to give it a chance since I found this thread: firo I will try to reduce the Performance as described here, from 8 to 3 (assuming it talks about Gb and that my RAM is limited to 3.8 Gb.

I will use multiple tabs on Firefox and several softwares open, as before. If it doesn't passes the test, I'll move to another browser.

There are other firefox based browsers....eg Seamonkey etc etc... google for Firefox alternatives

Thanks Condobloke. It froze again yesterday when Firefox was running with the addons, and today the laptop didn't startup. It just turned on but with a black screen. It finally started normally efter I removed the battery and unplugged it and tried again. I did a short SMART test of the disk and it said the disk was OK.

I installed Seamonkey and it is working well. Thanks for the advice. I will test it for a while.

How old is that laptop ?

Have you owned it since new ?

No. I borrowed it. The person who used it before thinks the laptop started "struggling" or freezing since the time she made a Ubuntu update.

Members online

Latest posts