All New

R

Ragoczy

Hi everyone, I am all new here. I just installed Ubuntu on my old laptop and I want to learn linux. I have no background in programming, used a little bit of DOS but, now I want to get used to linux and then learn a little bit of programming. Can anyone help with suggestions?

Hi everyone, I am all new here. I just installed Ubuntu on my old laptop and I want to learn linux. I have no background in programming, used a little bit of DOS but, now I want to get used to linux and then learn a little bit of programming. Can anyone help with suggestions?
Well, you can start her with the Beginner Tutorials here on Linux.org. Plus the Ubuntu Desktop Guide.

Also, you should check out all the resources on The Linux Documentation Project, including the Intoduction to Linux.

The best answer is to start using Linux for everything you would normally do on Windows. Also learn to use the bash command line. The bash CLI (Command Line Interface) alone is more powerful than Windows GUI ever thought of being! ;^)

I think you need to examine yourself first. Do you just want to be a Linux user? A power user? A developer? A sysadmin?

Where do you want to go? Where do you want to end up? That will decide what you need to know.

I am a newbie to GNU/Linux myself, and what really helped me are these two reading guides:

Newbies guide to Linux system

and

Reading guides

I started with the beginners on both guides, then read the intermediate guides. I am not quite ready to tackle the advanced guides, yet, but will be soon! Just take it slow and easy and make sure you understand the concepts before moving on. LinuxCommand.org is great resource for learning the command line. If you don't understand something, post a question here, the members are great at explaining things in a way that you'll understand.

Welcome to the world of GNU/Linux!!!

I think you need to examine yourself first. Do you just want to be a Linux user? A power user? A developer? A sysadmin?

Where do you want to go? Where do you want to end up? That will decide what you need to know.

I thought of that already. I was always interested in programming. I wanted to learn that in school to but, circumstances were against me. Now I have a very busy life but I am determined to learn.
I am a pretty good user of windows and during my work I had to dive into some programs too run under Basic (assisted over the phone) to make some basic changes. Over the time, I changed my job and now I come in contact with PIC programming. That is interesting too but, that is not what I want to do. I want to learn programming and eventually to make o job out of this.

When you say "programming", what do you mean? Do you want to learn kernel level programming? If so, learn "C", if you want to do software with a GUI, then Python or C++ is the way to go. There is also "scripting" languages, like BASH or perl, for administrative tasks. Then there is Web programming, which is another "scripting" language JavaScript (along with HTML/CSS). There are also programming languages that are for games. I don't know many of them, but I do believe Java is one (not at all affiliated with JavaScript).

@arochester posted some links to free programming books. Set aside several hours a day and go through all the examples and exercises in the book. Try and think of a project that you want to do and keep that in the back of your mind when you are learning the programming language. Think of what you need to learn to accomplish that project. Once you know and understand the concepts of one language, the other languages are pretty easy to learn; they all mostly do the same thing, it's just the syntax that changes.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the advices and links. I am not sure yet what exactly do i mean by programming. I know that I am interested, curios and I really want to do this; for pleasure and in the future as a job.
I tried one time in the past to dive into programming but I wasted two weeks on the web looking for everything and got overwhelmed with all of the information so I gave up. I don`t want to repeat the experience.
I try to temper my curiosity and get the grasps of Linux. After that I will decide which programming language I will learn.
To be honest, I count on the linux community to guide me.
See ya!

Thanks a lot for the advices and links. I am not sure yet what exactly do i mean by programming. I know that I am interested, curios and I really want to do this; for pleasure and in the future as a job.
I tried one time in the past to dive into programming but I wasted two weeks on the web looking for everything and got overwhelmed with all of the information so I gave up. I don`t want to repeat the experience.
I try to temper my curiosity and get the grasps of Linux. After that I will decide which programming language I will learn.
To be honest, I count on the linux community to guide me.
See ya!
Welcome, good sir....... :3 Know that we are here for you..... :) ALL of us....... :)

I have another question. As I said, I installed Ubuntu on my old laptop. It seems that I skipped a few steps. I did not format or partition my hard drive. I want to recover my data from a partition and I am a little bit stuck. I found my the partition that I am interested in but when I try to cd into it I get the following message:
sda2: block special
What can I do?
P.S.: I also tried as superuser but I get the same message.

So... I tried with Lubuntu and I got the following thing: Lubuntu recognizes 2 volumes one 255 MB and one 78 GB(that is my hard drive) but it does not see the partitions on it. I had a 35 GB partition for Windows and the rest for files.
I looked in the 255 MB volume and there are the following files and folders : grub, lost+found, memtest86+.bin and a few others.
In the 78GB volume there are: bin, boot, dev, root, etc, home, proc and so on. There is Ubuntu installed. From lubuntu I cannot enter many file and folders becase it says Permission denied (I have a password on ubuntu :p).
The files on my laptop are not so important but if it is possible I would like to recover them. Is there a way?

If you are getting permission denied you need to open file-manager from the terminal using sudo command example sudo pcmanfm it will ask for password whatever password you set (Root password)

I found a back-up of the hard drive and I decided to properly re-install ubuntu. I found a tutorial online on how to partition your hard drive on installation of Linux so, I have a fresh copy of ubuntu, files recovered and I can dive in deeper in Linux. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate that you guys and girls take your time to answer questions.
I will be coming back with more! ;P

I can only recommend what the others are saying..... :) Well.... Have you also tried booting into a LIVE CD, and then going into said partition through the File Manager.....? :)

I found a back-up of the hard drive and I decided to properly re-install ubuntu. I found a tutorial online on how to partition your hard drive on installation of Linux so, I have a fresh copy of ubuntu, files recovered and I can dive in deeper in Linux. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate that you guys and girls take your time to answer questions.
I will be coming back with more! ;P

Ah..... Too late..... :D Well, at least you're back on track..... :)

I can only recommend what the others are saying..... :) Well.... Have you also tried booting into a LIVE CD, and then going into said partition through the File Manager.....?:)
As I said earlier : "So... I tried with Lubuntu and I got the following thing: Lubuntu recognizes 2 volumes one 255 MB and one 78 GB(that is my hard drive) but it does not see the partitions on it. I had a 35 GB partition for Windows and the rest for files."
That try was from a usb stick created with LiLi.
Thanks for the advice.

I thought of that already. I was always interested in programming. I wanted to learn that in school to but, circumstances were against me. Now I have a very busy life but I am determined to learn.
I am a pretty good user of windows and during my work I had to dive into some programs too run under Basic (assisted over the phone) to make some basic changes. Over the time, I changed my job and now I come in contact with PIC programming. That is interesting too but, that is not what I want to do. I want to learn programming and eventually to make o job out of this.
The pic, the basic stamp, and the propeller can be very usefull, and fun to use. Use the force young padawan!:) but most of all, have fun!

Members online