All in Ones - Brother and Canon

Castle Robin

Reaction score
Credits
Of the following two All-In-Ones, whereabouts are the Linux drivers for the Canon?

I'll be using MX Linux 21 XFCE edition in conjunction.

Canon state that they supply only Basic drivers for Linux users and that Linux users are no longer supported once they've installed the drivers.

What do Linux users not get when using Canon's Basic drivers?

The Brother device is Linux compatible, whose drivers are easy to find.

The main differences between the two devices are that the Brother uses 4 inkjet cartridges and has manual printing whereas the Canon uses 5 cartridges and has auto duplex printing.

The Brother has lower DPI resolutions, but has multiple options for variable printout quality for optimum quality, whereas the Canon has higher DPI, but both very versatile.

Costs of cartridges vary, depending on the brands and the sellers, but the XL versions per brand have the largest possible ink capacity.

Some devices now have transparent displays of the ink cartridges within the machines, so that even if the Linux drivers don't enable full capacity of all the functions to be seen on the computer screen that work in other operating systems, the cartridges can be easily monitored irrespective of the OS.

BROTHER

https://www.brother.co.uk/printers/inkjet-printers/dcp-j1200w - Brother DCP-J1200W

CANON

https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/pixma-ts6350-series/ - Canon Pixma TS6350

Last edited:

Brother uses cups drivers similar to HP, and they work reasonably well, Cannon have always used Twain drivers and until recently were very difficult to get working, this became easier with the Linux Sain [back engineered] drivers, but some cannon still don't want to play ball [I ditched my Hi-def flat bed scanner as it just would not work]

Of the following two All-In-Ones, whereabouts are the Linux drivers for the Canon?

I'll be using MX Linux 21 XFCE edition in conjunction.

Canon state that they supply only Basic drivers for Linux users and that Linux users are no longer supported once they've installed the drivers.

What do Linux users not get when using Canon's Basic drivers?

The Brother device is Linux compatible, whose drivers are easy to find.

The main differences between the two devices are that the Brother uses 4 inkjet cartridges and has manual printing whereas the Canon uses 5 cartridges and has auto duplex printing.

The Brother has lower DPI resolutions, but has multiple options for variable printout quality for optimum quality, whereas the Canon has higher DPI, but both very versatile.

Costs of cartridges vary, depending on the brands and the sellers, but the XL versions per brand have the largest possible ink capacity.

Some devices now have transparent displays of the ink cartridges within the machines, so that even if the Linux drivers don't enable full capacity of all the functions to be seen on the computer screen that work in other operating systems, the cartridges can be easily monitored irrespective of the OS.

BROTHER

https://www.brother.co.uk/printers/inkjet-printers/dcp-j1200w - Brother DCP-J1200W

CANON

https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/pixma-ts6350-series/ - Canon Pixma TS6350

I have a Brother laser printer, and putting it up as a network printer was a breeze. And just a few hours ago, after a lot of internet research and effort, I finally got the item to work as a scanner in my Linux desktop, which, according to the internet, notably Linux Mint forums, has been a huge issue for many users for years. The Linux drivers were downloaded directly from the Brother support page and installed successfully. I was quite impressed for a non-technical user.

That's nice to hear, @Mishalk1 :), but the OP (original poster) is talking about inkjet printers.

David, good to see you are still alive and kicking.

I found this, if it is of any use, at

https://www.canonijetsetup.com/canon-pixma-ts6350-driver-download/

Near the bottom of the page, there is this

VBO2JTS.png

So you would download from the 3rd entry for scanner, and the 6th entry for the printer.

Once downloaded, you could use either gdebi for a gui install, or dpkg from the command line.

HTH

Chris

Brother uses cups drivers similar to HP, and they work reasonably well, Cannon have always used Twain drivers and until recently were very difficult to get working, this became easier with the Linux Sain [back engineered] drivers, but some cannon still don't want to play ball [I ditched my Hi-def flat bed scanner as it just would not work]
Hi Brickwizard

Thanks to you and the others for each of your advice.

So many excellent brands and models per brand to choose from, but narrowing down from a large list, it's between the Brother and the Canon on this occasion.

It's a shame that Linux isn't given the same level of flexibility for all models as their Windows and Mac equivalents of the same peripherals, but I'm pleased to read that Canon is improving in their Linux compatibility.

Brother seems to be the easiest to install, but from your situation with your former Hi-def flat bed scanner, it looks like the outcome varies in line with the model per brand, but no reflection on Canon, Brother would be the safest option, due to them using Cups drivers.

Last edited:
I have a Brother laser printer, and putting it up as a network printer was a breeze. And just a few hours ago, after a lot of internet research and effort, I finally got the item to work as a scanner in my Linux desktop, which, according to the internet, notably Linux Mint forums, has been a huge issue for many users for years. The Linux drivers were downloaded directly from the Brother support page and installed successfully. I was quite impressed for a non-technical user.
Hi Mishalk1

Comparing between your reply and those of the others, it looks like Brother has always been compatible with Linux, or at least nowadays (in case it wasn't originally).

Prior to and since posting my topic on this forum, I've read very good reviews about Brother working well with Linux - laser and inkjet machines, so it looks very promising that this inkjet model of a printer, scanner and copier would work fine with MX Linux 21.

I'm also a non-technical user, so the simpler the installation process (like originally in Windows), the easier and quicker I can install and run the device's drivers, if possible with Ink Level meters on the computer screen (like in Windows) or transparent on the machine like in some of today's inkjet all-in-ones, and I'm pleased that you've had success with your printer.

Last edited:
That's nice to hear, @Mishalk1 :), but the OP (original poster) is talking about inkjet printers.

VBO2JTS.png

So you would download from the 3rd entry for scanner, and the 6th entry for the printer.

Once downloaded, you could use either gdebi for a gui install, or dpkg from the command line.

HTH

Chris
Hi Chris

Like the other responders, your information is also invaluable.

I've never used gdebi or dpkg, but if I choose the Canon, I'll do my best to set it up correctly or ask for assistance if required.

Both are excellent machines - the Brother is manual while the Canon is automatic, but it comes down to compatibility, which model has most functions that work fully in Windows and Mac (as at least some brands' models have variable results, as in one of my previous all-in-ones, the Ink Cartridge on the computer displays worked in Windows, but not Linux), ease of use and overall printer cartridge costs, as both brands have similar cartridge costs, but the Brother has 4 cartridges whereas the Canon has 5 (as it has an extra black for Photo quality).

Most of my printouts are word based, rather than photos, so Photo quality isn't necessarily essential for me, personally, although it's a useful commodity, but whatever works well in Linux.

For sure, I struggled to find the links that you've found in Canon and found Brother's drivers very easily on their web site, but both have an excellent range of features. This will take a bit of thought, but I'll opt for one of them shortly.

Last edited:
One thing about Canon is that some models the scanner may not work even after the drivers are installed the scanner just does not communicate you have to check if - ippusbxd - is installed or not on your system - if it is you have to uninstall that for the USB to function correctly - that is what I had to do to get my scanner on my Canon TS3120 to work

One thing about Canon is that some models the scanner may not work even after the drivers are installed the scanner just does not communicate you have to check if - ippusbxd - is installed or not on your system - if it is you have to uninstall that for the USB to function correctly - that is what I had to do to get my scanner on my Canon TS3120 to work
Hi Lord Boltar

Thanks also for your input.

As things currently stand, I might be better off opting for the Brother. No reflection on Canon, rather the uncertainty of whether the Pixma TS6350 has ippusbxd installed on it or not, as I'd have to buy the model before knowing.

Having said that, both of these models have an excellent range of features, clearly both work in Linux, and I'd be very happy to buy either of them, but the difficulty with the Canon model is whether it would fully work in Linux with all the bells and whistles including the Scanner.

Hi Lord Boltar

Thanks also for your input.

As things currently stand, I might be better off opting for the Brother. No reflection on Canon, rather the uncertainty of whether the Pixma TS6350 has ippusbxd installed on it or not, as I'd have to buy the model before knowing.

Having said that, both of these models have an excellent range of features, clearly both work in Linux, and I'd be very happy to buy either of them, but the difficulty with the Canon model is whether it would fully work in Linux with all the bells and whistles including the Scanner.
It is the Linux System that has that file not the printer - Ubuntu does, some others may as well - you can check it with the Synaptic Package Manager just type it in the search block to see if it is installed or not

Some information for you both.

...you can check it with the Synaptic Package Manager just type it in the search block to see if it is installed or not

It's not, I have MX 21. It is in a lot of my distros, though. MX doesn't even have it in their repositories. So that is no impediment to the choice of the Canon.

No reflection on Canon, rather the uncertainty of whether the Pixma TS6350 has ippusbxd installed on it or not, as I'd have to buy the model before knowing.

Likewise to David.

I do not have an inkjet, only lasers, I find them more economical in the long-term. However, I downloaded both of those files I linked to in the picture at #4, and took a look through them using the Archive Manager built into MX.

They both looked pretty comprehensive, and pretty promising.

Further, that same site has a couple of other downloads worth using, a little further down the page. They are a TS6350 Scangear MP Guide (Linux) and a TS6350 IJ Printer Driver Guide (Linux), which, when downloaded and extracted and launched will open a page in your default Browser and tell you how to proceed.

Now yours is the choice on which printer to buy, obviously, but I cannot see, after some cursory research, that the Canon is not at least on equal footing with the Brother, in terms of it working with MX.

David, you could also tell us whether you are installing MX to your HDD, or planning to use it Live with Persistence.

Friday here in Oz, so Avagudweegend, and see you in a year.

Wiz

It is the Linux System that has that file not the printer - Ubuntu does, some others may as well - you can check it with the Synaptic Package Manager just type it in the search block to see if it is installed or not
I'm in the process of installing MX Linux 21 shortly, but it looks very promising that with, at least this particular Canon model, it should work fine.

Some information for you both.

It's not, I have MX 21. It is in a lot of my distros, though. MX doesn't even have it in their repositories. So that is no impediment to the choice of the Canon.

Likewise to David.

I do not have an inkjet, only lasers, I find them more economical in the long-term. However, I downloaded both of those files I linked to in the picture at #4, and took a look through them using the Archive Manager built into MX.

They both looked pretty comprehensive, and pretty promising.

Further, that same site has a couple of other downloads worth using, a little further down the page. They are a TS6350 Scangear MP Guide (Linux) and a TS6350 IJ Printer Driver Guide (Linux), which, when downloaded and extracted and launched will open a page in your default Browser and tell you how to proceed.

Now yours is the choice on which printer to buy, obviously, but I cannot see, after some cursory research, that the Canon is not at least on equal footing with the Brother, in terms of it working with MX.

David, you could also tell us whether you are installing MX to your HDD, or planning to use it Live with Persistence.

Friday here in Oz, so Avagudweegend, and see you in a year.

Wiz
I might buy a laserjet one day (at least some are very bulky - still good machines, but too big for a small office, or in my case a home table), but on this occasion, I'll opt for an inkjet.

Closely comparing the Brother and Canon models, in terms of the two all-in-ones I've narrowed down to, they are both excellent with overlapping and different features.

However, I will opt to buy the Canon shortly, due to you confirming that it will work in MX Linux 21 with the links and the descriptions you've given.

At present, I don't have MX Linux installed, as I have a different computer from the one I used when I was newer to the forum, but as I have a laptop, it won't install to a USB stick, so I'm hopeful that it will install to a DVD, then allow me to copy it to a USB stick.

My Desktop currently doesn't work, so I'm reliant upon my Laptop, but I'll try to install MX Linux as a "Live Persistence" initially over the next day; eventually on the laptop hard drive at a later date.

Upon checking the Canon information, it doesn't have a Linux listing on the same page that it says "Operation can only be guaranteed on a PC with pre-installed Windows 7 or later", presumably via the Disk, but from my knowledge of all-in-ones/printers, etc, the Disk only applies to Microsoft users:

https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/pixma-ts6350-series/specifications/#

Depending on whether the Canon is automatically detected in Linux (as some machines are) or whether it needs manual installation, either way, I'll order the Canon shortly, but as I don't currently have a Smartphone, I'm hoping that it can also be installed via the front of the machine, itself.

I say this, as at least some all-in-ones require Smartphones to be mandatory in order to set up and use them.

Deciding factors for me to choose the Canon include that it has a USB socket (probably excluding a cable, but I could always buy one of those), and while not essential, but useful, also Auto Duplex.

Last edited:
It is now ipp-usb - https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/ipp-usb
It is designed to be a replacement of ippusbxd daemon, previously used for this purpose. It has a greatly rethought architecture, in comparison with ippusbxd, and fixes all of its major flaws and issues.
So I am willing to bet that ippusbxd will be truncated in Ubuntu as well in the near future

It is now ipp-usb - https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/ipp-usb
It is designed to be a replacement of ippusbxd daemon, previously used for this purpose. It has a greatly rethought architecture, in comparison with ippusbxd, and fixes all of its major flaws and issues.
So I am willing to bet that ippusbxd will be truncated in Ubuntu as well in the near future

Do I need to install the contents of https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/ipp-usb?

I have got MX Linux 21 up and running, with the "Automatic" Persistence saving that I've saved as part of using MX Linux.

I've also got my Canon connected, but so far it only loads from the horizontal tray, not the vertical one.

That might just be me not being used to it, but the Test printouts work fine, and I also have a Smartphone, so hopefully everything will work with the Canon.

I'll follow Wizard's instructions shortly so I can at least Print documents, then sort out Scanning second.

VBO2JTS.png

HTH

Chris
I've since got MX Linux 21 installed onto a USB stick (one option had a technical fault in the program, so I opted for Balena Etcher, and after a computer restart into the "USB Drive" option, it began operating in drive G.

However, despite your invaluable links to setting up Printing and Scanning with the Canon TS6350, after having downloaded and extracted the two sets of files, nothing's happening.

What do I need to do next to activate the Canon Printing and Scanning functions in Linux?

Last edited:
I tried printing with the Canon, but nothing is happening, as it clearly needs a USB cable or Wireless, both of which I have, and also a Smartphone is an option, but I don't know if a Smartphone works with Linux, as this is all new to me.

Even then, despite downloading those files you quoted, it's not obvious to me what I need to do next to activate the Printing and Scanning functions.

I have also tried adding a Canon printing app on my Smartphone, but there are so many apps, and this one said I'd need another App (but doesn't state which one out of a series of many apps, so I'm totally stuck.

Once you have downloaded the DEB packages from @wizardfromoz suggestion you have to extract the contents once extracted you will see this
1.png

Now open the cnijfilter2-5.90-1-deb folder folder you will see this
2.png

Now right click inside this folder and open a terminal and type in
Code:
sudo bash ./install.sh
this is for the Printer
3.png

Now do the exact same thing for the Scanner which the folder will be called scangearmp2

NOTE Make sure the printer is on and hooked up first - this right click menu will be a little different this is from PCManFM not Thunar which Xfce uses

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried to follow your instructions, but am still struggling, as nothing links to the Terminal so I can't type in the Printing and Scanning commands.

I've also found that my USB cable at one end has a different fitting at the other end - which doesn't seem to fit, despite turning the thin, rectangular end of the cable all four ways, hoping I've not worn out the cable socket.

Maybe Gdebi would be my best option (but I've never used it), also as the Persistence isn't saving, so I'm having to reactivate everything from scratch, including a UK keyboard and entering my Broadband connection password, as well as adjust the Clock which is in the wrong time zone every time.

Update: The alternative fitting to the USB cable is an Old design, as I've since found a similar, but correct fitting two-tier cable and it fits perfectly, so the positioning of the alternative cable tucked at the back of the Canon is not an issue. In fact, it's very compact that way.

Last edited:

Members online