Again-NOTHING'S WORKING-Kali Linux

L

Lizzy

I'm having the problem/problems again. I'm trying to use Kali Linux this time. I downloaded Kali Linux 1.0.5 amd64, and I am using a USB Drive with 976 MB of space. I used Win32DiskImager, and when I use that I boot it up and I get that SYSLINUX error, and I read that if you changed the name of the files on the usb it would be fixed, but there are no files or folders on the usb. I used LinuxLive as well, but then I got a grub command prompt terminal thing, and I had NO clue what to do. I am having an extreme amount of trouble, and I've been dealing with this problem with other distros for months. I have watched YouTube videos, looked on forums, and nothing is working. Please help me.

I'm not familiar with Win32DiskImager. Have you tried UNetbootin?

Or in Ubuntu, try Startup Disk Creator.
Well UNetbootin doesn't have an option for Kali Linux. I worked out and installed Ubuntu and BackTrack on virtual machine, and even though it didn't work for Kali, I think I know the problem and will try again, so I will just use VirtualMachine for the time being.

Well UNetbootin doesn't have an option for Kali Linux.

But it gives you the option to choose a previously downloaded .iso file (just select "Image" instead of "Distribution"). Personally, I use UNetbootin as well, so I recommend it to you.

But it gives you the option to choose a previously downloaded .iso file (just select "Image" instead of "Distribution"). Personally, I use UNetbootin as well, so I recommend it to you.
Okay, thanks. I'll try that. I also realized that at least with VirtualBox, I have to use 32 bit ISOs, even though I have a 64 bit system. I will try using the 32-bit with UNetbootin.

In order for me to get anything to work right adding Kali Linux to a USB, I usually follow the directions using the Linux "dd" command.

http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install

Please be very careful using the dd command. "of=" must point to the USB device which is usually /dev/sdb unless you have other external storage plugged in. If of= is pointed at the wrong device it will be wiped out.

if= must point to the source ISO file.

I think bs= is the memory blocks. I don't fully understand that, but I just follow Kali's recommended bs=512k.

1. Plug in your USB device to your Linux computer’s USB port.
  2. Verify the device path of your USB storage with dmesg.
  3. Proceed to (carefully!) image the Kali ISO file on the USB device:
dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k

I never do this in Windows so I'm unfamiliar with Win32Imager. It does seem like it might be limited to the 32 bit ISO though?

I may have noticed something that I have done wrong. I am now trying it with BackTrack 5 R1 Gnome 32-Bit. I always did the selection correctly and I would then browse for the .iso I dowloaded in the image option. I didn't know that those were two separate options. As I'm typing this I'm installing it on the flash drive without doing the browsing thing and I will see if it works.

Staff online