After successfully installing 3 OS partitions on a multi-boot laptop with the 4th OS destroyed the GRUB multi-boot menu

when you do get to step 2 just before you run command:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

// as part of wiz suggestions

do this one :

sudo grub-install -V

//i'm interested to see grub version

taking into account time zone wiz might not be back until tomorrow. Do you have any more usb sticks then maybe you can look into playing with live os with persistence.
Its an alternative to playing with OS in a VM

in this case you can play with package managment system in a sort of dry run, because you are playing with a live OS. Also play with some command lines which we could suggest

Last edited:

OK I installed Sparky to refresh my memory.

So if your Windows is safeguarded, then...

1. Use GParted to remove those flags from /dev/sda9 and /dev/sda11. The only one with

boot, esp

should be /dev/sda2.

2. The next step is a little different from what I previously described, as we are dealing with a child of Debian, not of Ubuntu (eg Linux Mint).

So boot your computer to get into the Sparky grub menu, and from there choose

Advanced Options, then

the line marked recovery.

This will spool out output, finishing with lines like as follows, or similar:

Code:
Give root password for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):

root@sparky:~#

Where it says root and finishes with # your typing may overstrike existing text, don't worry just keep typing

Do first

lsblk (that's 2 small Ls, so it's like "el-es-block")

This will tell you with certainty that you are, in perhaps /devsda. Your small r root partition will be followed by a / forward slash.

Don't use any numbers, just the device name, and type and enter

Code:
grub-install /dev/sda

if that is the right sequence you identified with lsblk.

When that completes, type and enter

Code:
update-grub

and it will re-generate the grub configuration.

When that completes, type and enter

Code:
reboot

and then hang onto your hat and report back on what happens.

Cheers

Wiz

Well, it worked! I was not able to boot into SparkyLinux GRUB, the only way was to go into the antiX GRUB. But from that point on, I got the "Give root password for maintenance", and things proceeded just as you had instructed, wizard.

For captain-sensible's information, I got the version of the GRUB:
sudo grub-install -V
grub-install (GRUB) 2.02dfsgl-20

Some of the GRUB boot selections still don't work, but they weren't working anyway. But Windows boots just fine, and so does antiX. So I'm happy!

Thank you so much, wizardfromoz, and captain-sensible. It is so good to have my laptop working again! Hurray!!!

I am posting a picture of the boot screen, which looks so satisfying to me:

Attachments

• Current GRUB Boot Menu.jpg
    Current GRUB Boot Menu.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 410
That sounds wonderful, Len :)

If you want to get those other menu items fixed we can take a look at them, either here, or start a new Thread.

In the meantime, I would suggest you to install Timeshift, it is way better than Windows Restore.

In antiX 's terminal, ROXterm, type in and enter

Code:
apt-cache policy timeshift

It will show if it is available, and if so, you can then

Code:
sudo apt-get install timeshift

or we can find other means.

See my Thread at

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

and ask any questions, or there are other good guides around.

Enjoy your Linux

Wiz

Wizard, I messed up. I was booting into Windows, and it did a major update, and overwrote all the GRUB entries. Now I've got nothing. All the partitions are there, I just can't boot into any of them.

I went into Boot-Repair-Disk and tried to fix things on my own, but I was unsuccessful. Do you think you could help me out?

Here is the pastebin from Boot-Repair-Disk:

I appreciate your suggestion on timeshift. I'll take a look at it once I get back on track. Thanks!

P.S. How's your shoulder healing up?

Yeah Windows can be a bitch, like that.

Len, if you still have the install medium (usb stick or dvd) from Sparky, we can use that to fix it, easily enough.

However if you are in USA and it's midnight or so, I would advocate doing it when bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

Just let me know on the medium and then get some sleep and I'll put together some ideas.

Chris

Chris, you are the Man! I've had a nap, so I'm up late. But I'll wait for your ideas before I do anything.

Thanks for the quick response!

May not get to it for 18 -24 Len with other commitments - did you say you still have the install stick?

If I don't, I can get it easily enough. I can log onto my wife's Windows computer and get it downloaded.

I should have said "or antiX", either will do.

I am live-booted into Sparky, so I do in fact have the live Sparky USB.

I'll anxiously wait for your solution. Thanks so much, Chris!

Don't be anxious, takes years off our lives.

In case I get run over by a Mack truck, for others, I'll be looking to get Len to reinstall his Grub using the stick, and to update Grub.

I'll check with my Sparky before I come back here.

Don't worry Len "We've got your 6", as DiNozzo says to Gibbs.

Later

Wizard

So its probably a case of waiting for Wiz ..or using Windows we can try another tool in the meantime to get one of the linux OS. I'm around today G.M.T if you are about .

captain-sensible, I already have about 7 different distros of Linux on my USB drives, so I really don't need more of those. But thanks, anyway.

Something you could help me with is using Ventoy. I have used it, and I am able to boot from some of the isos on the Ventoy USB, but not all. Why is that? Thanks.

the simple answer is that they don't work (yet) with Ventoy- also you can't boot yet from an .img file from vento; they are compiling a list of iso's that work and that list will probably expand.

Also some iso's will boot from ventoy but that persistence doesn't work with some iso's but persistence does work with others

Ok one other thing you can try. Power down ; power up and hit "c" on keyboard to see if it gives any options for grub or a grub prompt ,which can be used to boot up and without making any changes to PC.

captain, yes, Grub comes up. Attached is the screenshot. But I don't know what to enter, so that's useless to me.

But it looks like you're going to tell me what to type at the command prompt, right?

Attachments

• IMG_20200803_125423918.jpg
    IMG_20200803_125423918.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 372
Last edited:
ok @coderlen at grub >

type : ls
and lets see output

i.e :

grub > ls

//you will need a bit of patience, to a degree its going to be look and try or (trial and error)

So what it means put simply is that grub is there but can not find the info it needs to boot an OS . We can help it manually to do that. from grub > which is better than grub rescue >

you can use it to look around and see if we can find a kernel image etc

Last edited:
I have to leave right now, so I can't pursue this until about 4 hours from now. But I will try that later, and post the output here. Thanks!

ok say if something like (hdo,msdos1) comes up then from grub >
type:

grub > ls (hd0,msdos1)/

//if wiz appears puff of smoke and he goes straight fix from live usb put this at back of your head ; its a another way of rescue

OK, I had a few minutes, so I went in and did the ls command. Here is what it looks like:

I'll do the other ls (hd0,****/) later. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200803_145352641.jpg
    IMG_20200803_145352641.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 372