After 1000 hours dedicated, I need guidance

onmyown

Reaction score
Credits
Hello there, (pardon my English) I have several problems I hope somebody with experience can advise me:

1) After dedicating 500 hours roughly in Linux at college, and another 500 hours on my own, I have to say, I'm a bit lost. Currently, I'm studying the fourth year of Computing Engineering, and I would really like to have some Linux experience out there, but it seems imposible to get accepted in any company. They demand some years of experience, that is righteous, but nobody offers an internship contract for people starting on Linux. So it seems to me there is a big difficult barrier to trespass. I don't know how to make the leap into the Linux professional world.

2) I don't even know what are the different paths or specialties I could take. I have a faint idea: System admin, security, cloud, dev ops, etc.

3) I've read about LPI certifications (right now studying LPIC-1) but I don't know if it is worth paying 400$ for something potentially to be ignored by the employer.

4) That's not the only problem, I'm supossed to present a final degree proposal next week, and I don't even know what to do. I though if I studied all summer, I would get an idea, but clearly, I don't even know the 5% of Linux. After three months studying all day long, I don't feel prepared yet for starting a project.

What can you advise me? Is there a guide for newbies?

Beforehand, thank to you all!!!!!

Last edited:

WOW - that is heartwarming, inspiring, tinged with sadness and disappointment all at the same time :):(

We have some sysadmins and people whom work in the industry for a day job (we are all volunteers here) such as @JasKinasis and @Rob , who may have significant input.

The business side of Linux focuses on server deployment and security, with the key players including Red Hat with RHEL and Suse with SLES . Then there is Kali security, by Offensive Security - they have courses.

I really wish you all the best and welcome to linux.org BTW ;)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

What can you advise me? Is there a guide for newbies?
Hello @onmyown, and welcome! I don't think there is any "guide" that will be sufficient. It seems that #4 is your priority... you need to move quickly to finish your program and get your degree. You can almost hold it in your hand now!

I agree that an expensive certification (LPIC) may not be helpful... unless you can identify a potential employer who requires it and who will also hire entry level people. I think completing your degree should really be your focus as you can pick up certifications later as needed. And when you find the niche job you're looking for, you can pursue certifications that specialize in that field.

We understand that finding entry level positions can be difficult, and it really doesn't matter if its Computer Science, or Physics, or Biology, or Mathematics, or anything else. But positions must be available or else the colleges would not continue to churn out new graduates year after year. Starting salaries will probably be lower because of lack of real world experience, but there has to be some places out there where you can get in and begin to really learn your craft.

Most colleges (here in the U.S. anyway) have counselors who should be able to give you proper advice for your country. That is really their job to assist you. They may have contacts with industry or at least have an idea where you might begin to apply for work with the training that they have provided to you. Your instructors also might be able to help provide industry contacts who can help you.

Good luck!

Members online