Advice on what system to go for as just a DeskTop operation

LxCeeAB

Reaction score
Credits
Everyone,

I am an Ex-USER of Linux about 20 or a few more years ago and went back to Win7 Home Premium, long story just skipping to the last part. Am now on Win7 SP1 64 bit Professional on a Dell OptiPlex 960 and want to get back into Linux. There have been some major changes and much differently setup systems, which would be a good one to download to become familiar with it again and maybe become a better user and maintainer? I am NOT a programmer just a very talented USER, self-taught and work in the Registry Files in Windows all of the time. I have learned what can be done and cannot. Have even recovered from the loss of my Administrator Account without the need to restore from a back-up. Microsoft would only tell me, "reformat, restore from a back-up or go all the way back to original install disc." Which would mean loose everything I had gained over the last six (6) years, never happen, I managed to find the problem and fixed the issue.
Edited down to just what is above, just looking for someone to exchange ideas, THANK YOU for reading my request.

I used Linux about 18 - 20 years ago and with what is found on your website may need some advice as to what to START with. After going through some of your Tutorials Novice and Intermediate I feel Programming is not what I need at this time, need to become familiar with an O/S first.

My desktop is a Dell OptiPlex 960 64bit at present running Win7 SP1 64bit Professional with all of the latest updates available. Nothing runs in AUTOMATIC on my system, I run it and maintain it myself even checking for updates are run MANUALLY. Started working with computers on Data General 64bit mainframes using a Teletype for input and output. Primary skill is Journeyman Electronics Tech/w over 65 years experience in electronics and computers since about 1974 DG 19" mainframes moving to desktops about 1984 and learned how to use them before Windows was ever created and the WWW was not available at that time. All I know is self-taught and have never had to recover from a crash by reloading from back-up. MicroBarf is NO help what so ever.

Last edited:

Hi @LxCeeAB, and welcome! Which Linux OS? Well, opinions are like... well, you know! We all have one! :D

Linux is in a totally different world than when you last saw it. It is much more user-friendly and graphical based, although the command line is still all powerful even if not used as much. But as a new user, you may find yourself recovering Windows from a backup for the first time if you aren't careful and try to dual-boot OS'es.

Honestly, I don't recommend you try to install right away... there are other ways to get your feet wet with Linux and not risk damaging your existing system. 1) Install VirtualBox (free program) in Windows, and then install Linux inside a virtual machine inside Windows. You can install many different Linux versions that way and give them a thorough test drive, and then easily delete any you wish at any time. 2) Create "live" versions of different Linux versions on bootable DVD or USB. They run a bit slower, but not too bad, and also provide a nice testing environment without installing. If you choose USB, you can enable (on some versions) a feature called "persistence" that will save some information between reboots, which is quite convenient. 3) Use an old spare computer if you have one to practice Linux installations. If you have something very old, or very low RAM, you would have to find some of the Linux versions that are better suited to low system requirements... but there are some excellent choices in that category too.

One of the best things you can do to get started is to Google every question you have. Just about every question has already been asked and answered a thousand times. If you want to know about different Linux distributions, check out the most popular listed on DistroWatch and then explore their websites, look around our forums and tutorials, watch some Linux tips, tricks and tutorials on YouTube, etc.

My own personal favorites and recommendations for new users: Linux Mint and Linux Lite. They are both based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian. But there are many many varieties available, and you may find some work better than others on the hardware you end up running it on.

Welcome (back) to the wonderful world of Linux!

There are still some issues with your forms for those that are in the position I am still within, using MicroBarf Windows instead of Linux some loved flavor. I went to my previous post and read the Reply from "atanere" and found it very informative and honest, that is what I look for more than anything. I will finish with that later, fist about my latest experiences. Attempted to post a reply as that was the only thing showing, the "Radio Button" without a place to enter a message. Thought maybe it would come up when pressing that 'RB', WRONG! So I went and read my PMs and Alerts and came back to the message from "atanere" and low-and-behold there is the form that I am now using. THE END ! of that pa;rt anyway

"atanere,"

Thank you so very muchly (my addition to our language, I have many) for your message and information. I have gone that route, GOGLE & 'U'Tube, with other issues from other programs and seems mine for some strange reason are not really covered.

If I may give an Example: Have downloaded one that shown it has a "PC Desktop" and looked interesting, thought what I had downloaded was the latest and GREATEST, WRONG! (evidently not accustomed to thinking) but went with it any way and downloaded the Latest and GREATEST as well. Have the older version, just previous, to mess with and experiment with, learning can TEST DRIVE without installing and did just that. After fully operational (/w CD test drive) clicked on several ICONs, one at a time to see what they were about. Came to "System Settings" and decided to check out the increase font size, Screen changed to bunches and many DOTS, Dashes, Equal signs, spaces et cetera Could not clear the screen attempted all that usually help some, NOTHING! Only thing that had an effect, POWER SWITCH, so did a COLD boot after about three (3) minutes; this same operation was not once nor even twice after the third one decided to do an INSTALL. Going for the DUAL BOOTING so I could select one or the other.

That went real well and very rapidly, then did not read the screen closely enough and spent some time correcting my "Who ARE YOU?" then comes the "WHERE ARE YOU?" and I placed my local in the line and got some of the strangest locations. Then went with the Standard for Central Time Zone (Chicago) and manged to get through to the final group of horizontal scrollings. Then the RE-BOOT/w the notice to remove the Installation DVD which I did. The Re-Boot went well straight into WindBlows NOT Linux the Boot Menu does not show, have had some of the earlier versions that did do the dual boot and liked them, this one still will not give the selectables.

This is longer than I wanted but did feel you should know, the computer is Dell Inspiron 531s 64bit/w Win7 SP-1 (I installed the SP myself back in 2004 or 5?) it came with VISTA (32bit) and it took me about a week and half to decide VISTA had to GO Bye-bye-bye and got Win7 before SP-1 was out. AND that very same software is still on that System/w all of the latest updates installed.

THE END for now just wondering how to mange to get the DUAL BOOT to work?

Last edited:
Excuse me PLEASE? I neglected one point with my report on "Display" issues, with all of those items listed they are running diagonally across the screen about 20° from lower left to upper right.

AND, here are some of the killers, even in the install when clicking on "Display" under settings and finally got Ubuntu to boot up by using DELL's BOOT MENU, in the BIOS, screen and just guessing which H/D to click on to boot in Ubuntu. Then it took about a HALF hour just to get to that boot menu and about another 20-25 minutes to actually be booted. Still have not been into it long enough to determine where to go to CREATE a SIMPLE USER, there is only TEMP GUEST, where NOTHING is SAVED when logging out and SUPER USER which should not be used on the web. YOU want to know more, just ask me.

Hi @LxCeeAB and welcome to linux.org. :)

I love your signature (just needs an "of" between front and me).

This Topic seems to be swinging from "advice-on-what-system-to-go-for-as-just-a-desktop-operation" to, rather, How Do I Dualboot Ubuntu Alongside Windows 7? But not to worry, let's get you sorted.

First up, which Ubuntu? Second up, which DE (Desktop Environment).

1. Ubuntu might be, eg, 14.04 , 16.04, or 17.04 - anything numbered otherwise is no longer supported and should not be used (16.10 support expired yesterday).
  2. DE might be Unity, GNOME, or MATE (pron. "mar-tay")
If Ubuntu is your choice, then you will have downloaded an .iso that might be named something like this - ubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso ... do you have that information at your fingertips?

A quick Google search by me, on "install ubuntu alongside windows 7" reveals some useful articles and vids, and if you have followed something like that you might let us know, and which?

Other questions that spring to mind are whether you entered your BIOS to put booting the DVD ahead of your hard drive, etc (BTW USB stick boots and works way faster than DVD and can be re-used afterwards).

If you can elaborate a little more on the process you have followed so far, we may be better placed to assist further.

Note that I come from the island continent south of the equator, and am currently 15 hours ahead of Chicago, if you are looking for responses.

Cheers and

avagudweegend

Wizard

That went real well and very rapidly, then did not read the screen closely enough and spent some time correcting...

Hi again. Let me start with quoting you above here... you are realizing how complicated Linux is, and how different it is from your Windows experience. You absolutely have to read everything carefully or mistakes are bound to happen. That is a major reason I often suggest not installing right away but instead to just do the "test drives" first (DVD/USB/Virtual).

It will be better for all of us to take smaller and simpler steps to help you work through the issues that you encounter. Giving too much at a time makes for extremely long posts and replies, and we're sure to miss things when trying to cover too much at once.

Software:
As @wizardfromoz noted, we need to know which Ubuntu you're using (and which Desktop). We can run live test versions too and then be able to follow along or give explicit directions. You always want to use the latest LTS (Long Term Support) version of Ubuntu so that it will last you a few years instead of a few months. You always want to use the 64-bit edition of any Linux since your computer is 64-bit.

Hardware:
You didn't mention you had a 2nd hard drive that you were installing Linux on. In the install process, you were asked where to install the "bootloader"... and it seems like you picked the 2nd hard drive because you put Linux there. When you used the BIOS boot menu and got Linux to run, that should have brought you to a different boot menu screen (called "GRUB").... and the GRUB screen should have allowed you to boot either Linux or Windows, but Linux would have been the preferred choice if you just hit ENTER at that point. Is that a correct assessment?

RAM: How much RAM is installed?

BIOS: First, I am practically 100% sure that you have an older style BIOS instead of newer UEFI since your computer came with Vista originally. If you don't know UEFI yet, be thankful for that, because BIOS is usually easier to work with to get Linux up and running. In your BIOS settings, you can probably select the Boot Order between your two hard drives. So if I was correct above that the GRUB screen shows both Linux and Windows, then if you move the 2nd hard drive to be your 1st priority boot drive, then you'll be able to select which OS at boot time without accessing the BIOS boot menu every time. GRUB gives you a 10-second timer to choose before it defaults to Linux.

OK, enough for now (from me). We can look at the video problem(s) and user log in issues as we go, but we will want to know the systems details better. I would still suggest that for now you boot from a live DVD because it should eliminate some of these problems that you are reporting. If there is any doubt, the latest LTS version of Ubuntu is 16.04.2 and you can download it here. This will use what is called the "Unity" desktop. There are other Ubuntu choices (here) but let us know if you choose one of them instead. For example, if you do not have much RAM, you may prefer to try out Lubuntu... but be sure to get the 16.04.2 LTS. The LTS versions will be supported until April of 2021, and this is much better for most people because the "newer" Ubuntu (17.04) will reach end-of-life in January 2018.

wizardfromoz, atanere,

Thank you both for this data, am going to Ctrl/C => Ctrl/V in my Open Office Writer so references can be done much easier with that moved to my laptop so it will be handy while working on the other system. Am explaining this so you will know my replies will be rather slow. Plus there are some other things to explain as well. Need to do some research into what was downloaded, exactly for you. Was not that observant of what was downloaded, just noticed it was Ubuntu v16.04.2, thinking it was the latest and greatest, WRONG! While that was going discovered v17.04 is out, downloaded that one as well. Using the older version as my experimental model to see just what I need to learn.

This may get a bit lengthy, but; will attempt to keep it straight.

"atanere,"

I reference my message after your first post, did attempt to use the "Test Drive" from the CD and that did not really go well especially when the monitor locked up and the only option was PowerSwitch, because; there was nothing to see except an unchanging screen. Little background on me, purchased Ease US Partition Master to have here for adjusting partitions on my H/Ds. The boot drive should be kept as small as possible so the boot time is minimal. Win7 Home Premium, that I had placed on that system, only needs about 40g then for growth and expansion, updates, set it to 45g. With a 320g H/D that came with the computer the next partition would have had 225g. So set up 'unallocated' space of about 60g placing the next partition out a little farther, et cetera You understand my reasoning and wanting to keep spare spaces.

Back to my working with Ubuntu, the instructions told me the install could be placed along side of Windows and thinking, Ubuntu would need to be on the bootable drive it would be very near to the Windows partition, I am not a computer expert and that was my reasoning. Did not work out like that though, after the Install of Ubuntu finished and reminded to remove the installing C/D it took for EVER to reboot AND did not boot into Linux GRUB to give me the listing of systems to select from. Now I have Windblows AND Ubuntu on that system H/D along with the DISPLAY not functioning correctly. Would like to uninstall Ubuntu that I have and maybe find another to work with. The screen display is really TOOOO small for me to be able to read.

Have a laptop that am working with at this time, only x86 not 64 bit, am attempting to work with Mint - Mate "Sonya" 18.2 32bit as this laptop is Inspiron E 1705 a slower OLDER model. Intel Core Duo Processor, clock 1.86ghz, minimum clock 800mhz, Maximum clock 1.86ghz, processor cache size 2048 KB. Memory 2048 MB/w speed of 533 mhz, memory channel mode = Dual, DDR2 SDRAM. Primary H/D 80 GB HDD, DVD+/-RW, Intel 945GM Graphics Video BIOS 1343, video memory 8MB, Panel Type (Display) 17" Wide XGA+, Native Resolution 1440 by 900, this is from the BIOS Setup data.

wzrdfrmOZ_Land,

Will need to get some research done because I did not read that closely what was selectable. Being retired and volunteering to assist others keeps me jumping and interrupting all of the time.
Will be back with more info later.

Now is LATER, next day? The only info that I can find is the link:
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
where I downloaded the copy of Ubuntu Ubuntu Desktop,
Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, the bold titles are copy/paste from the link given. Did not scroll down that page just clicked on the download, later on found the Latest version.

Mr PICKY, corrected my sig just for YOU! Thank you for mentioning that. With all of the problems with the FORUMS and attempting to get much setup to be recognized as a member, it was there in my thoughts, just my fingers neglected to make the entry. This is to cover my anatomy, not MY fault, it is MY FINGERS!!!

Last edited:
wzrdfrmOZ_Land,

And anyother that wishes to read and learn or better yet, HELP me LEARN by Teaching. Am figuring anyother that is reading this have read from the top.

NOW: the flavors for the Ubuntu are:

v17.04
"Zesty Zapus" - Release amd64
v16.04.2 LTS Edited by LxCeeAB my neglect, corrected.
"Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64

The v16.04.2 is the one loaded on my Inspiron 531s, the other has just been downloaded and burned to disc. @ the present time am running the memory tests in GNU GRUB v2.02~beta2-36-ubuntu3.7. Am just wanting to see what they look like when working well, I hope, will give more details of this system after the tests are done. YES! I am multi tasking by using a laptop, old one @ that, and the desktop 531s, it is also old but not as OLD as the E1705 laptop.

The ISO files are as follows:

ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso
linuxmint-18.2-mate-32bit.iso
linuxmint-18.2-mate-64bit.iso

Those are Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v except for the iso I typed them in hope they are spelled correctly.

Do you think I can accomplish this within this week-end? BAG!

NONE of them are MY choice, TEST DRIVING them to see what may occur, Ubuntu v16.04.2 has 'thrown-up' when it comes to my display on the 531s, locks it down and only the POWER SWITCH works, as far as I can tell.

The question about BIOS, DVD/CD booting first or not, they remain as set from Dell, they are check first and the bootable drive is second. I have a little program found on the web that uses Linux Kernel to EDIT the REGISTRY FILES for removing any or all PASSWORDS of Windows and maybe Linux.

More information will be coming your way, again, later as the memory test is still going.

I know about the Aussie Land and frequently visit there over the net. Know some people that live in Queens Land, he is a Judge and his wife has a Craft Business. They were friend of my "Wife's" until she moved to be with her Creator, 12May, 2012. TIA (Thanks In Advance) that is an issue the LIVING has to deal with and learn to handle. I have

Last edited:
OK, I think I'm understanding better. So... if you boot the live Ubuntu DVD (or anything else) and have video problems... DO NOT try to install that version. You may can figure out and overcome the problems later, but let's try to get you running with something that works out-of-the-box if we can. But just to repeat one thing: version 16.04.2 is the latest LTS VERSION. Even though 17.04 is actually newer, it is not LTS (long term support)... and LTS is a better choice.

Though you have 16.04.2 already installed on your Dell, since it boots straight to Windows, let's let that go for now and come back to it later. Instead, let's see what happens with your laptop and Linux Mint 18.2 32-bit when you boot "live" on that DVD. The 18.2 is also a LTS, so that is a perfect choice. You have 2GB of RAM on that, and it should be enough to run decently with the MATE desktop. If you can boot the Mint DVD okay... check that you have a good display, check that the WiFi and sound works, etc. If everything works okay on the DVD, it should all work well when installed (and then run faster when installed).

You didn't say... but does the laptop have Windows? And if so, do you require keeping it and setting up a dual boot? If you allow Linux Mint to use the entire hard drive, it should be a very easy installation if the "live DVD" works okay for you.

atanere,

Excuse me, please? On my Dell Inspiron 531s where I had planned on doing my testing. I hate to break the news to you, I already did the install thinking there may be an issue with the DVD/CD where the ISO is located. GNU GRUB Menu selectables has started to work correctly, I think one time when Booting up went into Boot Menu (F12) and selected the second partition and Volè there it was and has been working just fine since, except for the very short duration, to make a different selection. Would like to extend that to 20 or 30 seconds, because; when you make a selection there is not any delay.

The REAL issue is the display preventing me from exiting when attempting to view the resolution to increase the FONT. I did find where Ubuntu shows " Gallium 0.4 on NV4C" whatever that means, my monitor is Dell 1905 FP (in another area called GENERIC Monitor PNP) max resolution or recommended is 1280 x1024 and have mine set to 1280 x 960 so my TEXT is viewable. My Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 1650 SE with DAC: Integrated RAMDAL. There is more but is covering video memory.

Processor is AMD ATHLON™ 64 (x2) Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.3GHZ; RAM 4GB. That is about all unless you think of more and maybe I can find more.

Also hope you and WhizFromOZ land do not mind me taking data from both of you, with just one there is an 'opinion' and this way there is some EXTRA data to evaluate. Then there is also mine opinion getting mixed in as you can tell from adjustments being made as well as EDITING instead of a different post, just adding some information.

Last edited:
atanere,

Excuse me, please? On my Dell Inspiron 531s where I had planned on doing my testing. I hate to break the news to you, I already did the install thinking there may be an issue with the DVD/CD where the ISO is located. GNU GRUB Menu selectables has started to work correctly, I think one time when Booting up went into Boot Menu (F12) and selected the second partition and Volè there it was and has been working just fine since, except for the very short duration, to make a different selection. Would like to extend that to 20 or 30 seconds, because; when you make a selection there is not any delay.

The REAL issue is the display preventing me from exiting when attempting to view the resolution to increase the FONT. I did find where Ubuntu shows " Gallium 0.4 on NV4C" whatever that means, my monitor is Dell 1905 FP (in another area called GENERIC Monitor PNP) max resolution or recommended is 1280 x1024 and have mine set to 1280 x 960 so my TEXT is viewable. My Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 1650 SE with DAC: Integrated RAMDAL. There is more but is covering video memory.

Processor is AMD ATHLON™ 64 (x2) Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.3GHZ; RAM 4GB. That is about all unless you think of more and maybe I can find more.

Also hope you and WhizFromOZ land do not mind me taking data from both of you, with just one there is an 'opinion' and this way there is some EXTRA data to evaluate. Then there is also mine opinion getting mixed in as you can tell from adjustments being made as well as EDITING instead of a different post, just adding some information.

I realize you already installed... but you were having troubles in your previous posts so my plan to was to forestall difficult troubleshooting on a problem install (with your video issue and long boot times) for a little while so you could get a proper working system on the laptop. That's okay, never mind.

It's always perfectly fine to take all the help from anyone who offers. There are many sharp people, including @wizardfromoz, and hopefully we do not contradict one another. For now, I have to bow out for a bit... I work 12-hour shifts on my job and I have get out the door in just a few minutes. I'll check back as I can and review further info from you and what Wiz and others may offer.

Cheers!

atanere,

This is FUN, I hope, have three (3) computers running each with different software. Using my 960 to communicate with Linux Forums, Win7 SP1 Professional, 531s Win7 SP1 Home Premium as second program primary is Ubuntu v16.04.2LTS (both of these are 64bit) and that ole laptop 1705 also temporarily Dual booting with Win7 SP1 H/P as second and Primary Mint "Sonya" v18.2 this one computer is 32bit. May need to reload Mint on the laptop as Windows is now complaining and ran the Repair process and now the screen is BLANK/Black because I was working on getting this started and did not see what took place. Reboot and see what comes up, may need to reformat & reinstall. (Pause) Do not know what took place so rebooted and the power cable came out and the battery is dead and when it was finally restarted there is a strange menu "start Linux mint; start in compatibility mode; start with PAE Forced: OEM install (for manufacturer); integrity check; Memory Test; boot from local drive, ran the Integrity test and finished AOK. Going to reinstall without Windblows7 only Mint "Sonya" if I can get it done. LATER!

Last edited:
I am a TOP poster when quoting another's message, so you do not need to see the repeat. I understand and am not ignoring you just filling in what is happening here. I also understand about a J-O-B and 12 hour shifts, I have pulled 24 - 72 - 96 straight through not in a connected row though. They were done at various times over the last 20 - 25 years before retirement in 1993, one job I had in Wyoming was a 16 - 18 hour day and driving 250 miles to complete daily tasks 6 days a week and 8 hours on Sundays for 3.5 years. Not all have a job to provide a survival benefit. Enjoy your BREAK from reading my posts and thinking, "what the 'H' is he doing and not following instructions?" With my 20 - 22 hour days, just attempt to keep myself busy learning as much as possible.

I agree a working system is best for learning how to use, maintain, and discovering what can be done. I also like to see what can be done with these different installs. Helps me make major decisions as to what to keep and what is not necessary. These DELL systems always have their own partitions for software they want and feel they need to do work over the net. I do not want their ideas cluttering up my system. They put 16 bit partitions on here and I want them GONE!

I am going to get my 'Ease US Partitioning' software out and reformat that laptop to my specifications then reinstall.

Some forums I hold membership their HELPers some times get into arguments. Just like to keep PEACE in these messages, just letting all know we need to work together.

This is FUN...

Yes, we think it's FUN too! :D And this is a very friendly forum where we all learn together as we go along. I'm not that smart myself... I know just about enough to be dangerous! :eek::D But I am fair at searching the Google-machine and finding stuff, so that helps me to learn too.

I think what you're doing right now is great... install, re-install, go back and do it again. Yes, you will break things, but that's usually the best way to learn. It is for me, anyway.

@wizardfromoz is a master of multi-booting Linux... I'm sure he will have much to offer you. 16 partitions??? You can put a different version of Linux in each one of them! :D:D

Just so you will know, took a look @ some videos on 'U'tube and find them not impressive. May not have gone to the ones that are informative as these were too fast moving and not really easy to follow. Needed to PAUSE many times to understand, I am a bit slow when it comes to learning about a different system. Plus am also a slow reader. Using these Forums has given me better knowledge and been able to retain better for a longer time.

Some that were watched and listened to sounded like it was recorded at one speed and when put out to the net the speed was shifted up a bit and their words sounded 'run together' like some of those fast talkers looking for the World Record of saying more than any oneelse.

I did learn there is a video driver that can be downloaded for my system, NVIDIA is the driver software in my system for Windows and can be gotten for Ubuntu. Can you assist me in getting that even if I need to use Windblows to do it.

EDIT: by LxCeeAB
Have already downloaded the latest software for NVIDIA for Ubuntu. May NOT need that software, have done more investigating. Looks as though there is some corrosion on the terminals of a plug-in to the Mother board. Near impossible to get to as well, but; managed to move it some. Running some tests at this time.
Thanx for reading this, The TESTS only confirmed my suspicions, still an issue just need to work on that problem a bit more.
UPDATE 07/24/17 0645
LxCeeAB

ONE additional point, have NOT received any email to alert me to any posts to this thread.

Last edited:
Greetings from the Great Country of TEXAS,

Well it has been changed, in partial, the laptop now has installed Kubuntu 16.04.2 LTS. but; will not install with "encrypting home dir," had to choose LVM, because; would not 'Continue' when selecting the encryption feature. This is i386/x32 my next test will be the 64bit version of Kubuntu on my desktop. My nest venture will be to install the 64 bit version of Kubuntu on my Inspiron 531s. The laptop was booting while doing this message and just entered my passwd and it is loading. Never could get Mint to do this, even did a reinstall with the removal of Win7 and that would not happen. Kubuntu just did that very operation am in operation on the laptop in Kubuntu. Have not setup any other user at this time maybe in the morning, it is getting a little tired. Have been at this since about 0215 Monday morning. Finally SUCCESS !!!!!!

Ubuntu still is FREEZING the screen without any ability to use mouse or keyboard only the power switch works. Got the screen going crazy and not able to read any part by reseating a connector, poor connecting contacts in that connector. The information remains on the screen but not able to do anything, have updated software for the video hook-up, NVIDIA latest version from the Manufacturer just cannot install because of the freezing.

Hi all, regrets for the delay ... had my own crisis with a Toshiba Satellite that went belly up, and threatened to take 18 Linux Distros with it, but averted disaster more by arse than class, and live another day.

...have NOT received any email to alert me to any posts to this thread.

Mate, you might (if you have not) want to check your avatar as I show in the screenshot below

7OQpeTD.png

There, under Alert Preferences, check which boxes you have ticked (checked) and see if that helps?

NVIDIA is the driver software in my system

... and that of many of us. The screenshot below is from my Driver Manager in the same Linux Mint you are using, found under Menu-Administration-Driver Manager.

J1KfGB8.png

Our friends from X.org (where X covers all facets of our visual experience, of the GUI variety) developed the nouveau driver some years ago to act as an alternative to nVidia. This was done "with limited help" by some nVidia staff. You may wish to check your own circumstances, and see where you stand currently. From my own experience, nouveau is usually fine to work with, although anecdotally I hear that if you are a Gamer, performance can leave a bit to be desired, likewise if you frequent Google Earth.

You can, if you wish, download a large number of nVidia drivers that are Linux-engineered by nVidia.

If you wish help with this, perhaps start a separate thread and I will swing by.

I have some more to contribute soon, and perhaps you can just clarify, on the following:

...except for the very short duration, to make a different selection. Would like to extend that to 20 or 30 seconds, because; when you make a selection there is not any delay.

Is there a 10 second progress timer indicated at the Grub Menu which counts down to zero then boots, and is that what you would like extended?

Cheers

Wizard

Call me Wizard, call me Wiz, call me Mr PICKY ... just don't call me late for dinner.

Our Posts crossed. LxCeeAB maybe get some sleep and we can come back to this.

I realise now you are from the Lone Star State, the mention of Chicago at #3 confused me.

Later

Wizard

Greetings from the Great Country of TEXAS,

Not quoting your message but in reference to the top image, NO had not seen that in my rush to get up and working. Did review some parts just had not gone into any detail. THANK YOU so very muchly for that. I also have a habit of creating mine own words some times, some are cause by my overly creative fingers, NOT MY FAULT.

That NVIDIA issue will need to be placed on HOLD for a period of time as that Ubuntu issue has gone in to OVER DRIVE. Managed to get the screen to remain displaying what I wanted to see, except it now just FREEZES with only the POWER SWITCH to work out a solution. Also that copy of Mint never would install, just many ERROR messages with offers to send a bug report which could not be done as NO internet connection to that laptop. With frustration being my driving force, never hand copied those messages to send by another means. Have downloaded "Kubuntu" v16.04.2 LTS, I think named 'Dolphin,' looked good and installed it on that olè Dell Laptop and it is up and operational. Did not keep the Win7 copy on there, had it replaced completely. Never could get Mint to do that. Also downloaded a 64 bit version for the 531s when it can be done, still learning some about Kubuntu, it is a bit different than just Ubuntu.

Will look into that 'X.org' and 'nouveau" later. Have seen some references to nouveau but never followed up. Will do LATER, if I can ever catch-up with it?

Quote: "Is there a 10 second progress timer ..." YES! I am easily distracted and with that short time usually miss changing the selectables to see what can be done or WHY change. CURIOUS!

Quote: "Call me Wizard, call me Wiz, call me Mr PICKY ... just don't call me late for dinner." I like this except the last word, I use 'a meal'. Love to eat yet need to keep things in perspective, my weight went to 196# and needed to get it back to normal for me. 155 -160 is where I need to stay. It took me about 2.5 years to get to this point after my "Wife" of 48.5 years left me to be with her "Creator." I do NOT like using that three (3) letter title. Also not wish to get into a religious discussion, because; I am DIFFERENT. I am not changeable nor want to attempt to change any other, unless they ask the correct questions. NO will not give any suggestions. I think that covers your post inquiries.

OOPsy! Am NOT a gamer, my CPU (Central Processing Unit) is for my learning not a TOY and Chicago is in reference to the CTZ (Central Time Zone) they do not show my local (in Ubuntu), YES, you are correct THE LONE STAR STATE. NOW that is the END of this one.

On this page "https://www.linux.org/forums/general-linux.143/: on the same line as the "Pages1 thru 10" to the right side of the screen there is "Watch Forum:" and thought this would get me email notifications. Again, in my rush to get access did not follow through. EXCUSE ME PLEASE? My ERRORS are always found by someone and they get corrected.

Again, Thank YOU for informing myself

Members online

Latest posts