Advice for Running Virtual Machines?

F

forestplay

I'm trying to avoid Windows whenever I can. I have several virtual machines running on VirtualBox on my old windows box.

I would like to install a Linux distro and run it as a virtual host with 3-4 small virtual machines.

What's a good distro for this?

What's a good replacement for VirtualBox?

-Bob

I use fedora with KVM on my laptop to run a couple VMs and it works just fine. However, if you are looking for something with a longer life-cycle you might want to look into CentOS. There is a conversion process that allows you to convert your VMs from virtualbox to KVM. I did it with a Win7 VM that I needed for work and have had no issues.

Keep in mind that your mileage may vary on this setup, but it works well for me. Just make sure to do your research up front and plan out your migration. Backup your vms if at all possible and enjoy the learning experience.

I use fedora with KVM on my laptop to run a couple VMs and it works just fine. However, if you are looking for something with a longer life-cycle you might want to look into CentOS. There is a conversion process that allows you to convert your VMs from virtualbox to KVM. I did it with a Win7 VM that I needed for work and have had no issues.

Keep in mind that your mileage may vary on this setup, but it works well for me. Just make sure to do your research up front and plan out your migration. Backup your vms if at all possible and enjoy the learning experience.

As with the last thread I was going to ask you what are you using but you answered the question here. What type of mileage are we talking about before I jump in?

It is a saying that what works for one person may not work or be the right thing for another.

You can get VMWare for Linux for free. Do not attempt to run Vista on a virtual machine performance of the graphics subsystem is so bad it's unusable, even with the bells and whistles turned off.

Members online