Advantages of running newer software versions using AppImages?

Linuxembourg

Reaction score
Credits
Has anyone seen or used apprepo? They have a lot of AppImages that are difficult to find otherwise, or at least not on other listings (e.g. Zap). From looking at the Github it seems a lot of the applications are regularly updated (maybe automated from packages). I installed Chromium 98 today on Debian 11 stable (where the current version is 90). I'd actually prefer to have version 96 or something like that, as I have the testing version I think.

Given that Debian recommend not using the version of Chromium from their repo, it seems like a good solution. I presume that I get some bugfixes/whatever without any issues with the app/dependencies that are going to break my system. Or is it the case that if the AppImage works, then it would work installed on my system?

Are there real advantages to doing this? I suppose I can't get my head around whether I get any advantages or not. Is it possible to fix a buggy Arch app by using a working Debian repo to make an appimage?

AppImages are self contained they have all the files it needs built into it and do not share any files with anything else - there are no dependencies required for it - another place is - https://www.appimagehub.com/ this is where I get some that I use
One 'Con" about AppImages they do take up more space since all the dependencies are built into it

AppImages are self contained they have all the files it needs built into it and do not share any files with anything else - there are no dependencies required for it - another place is - https://www.appimagehub.com/ this is where I get some that I use
One 'Con" about AppImages they do take up more space since all the dependencies are built into it

I actually installed ungoogled-chromium from there yesterday but then realised most of that stuff hasn't been updated in 2-3 years. At least the browsers anyway.

I think it depends on how the AppImages are built. If they are built from packages (like .deb) then they are more bloated apparently. Unfortunately I think its much easier to build from packages so a lot (like AppRepo) do it that way.

Members online