Advanced disk image backups?

Linux101

Reaction score
Credits

I found this looking for backup methods. Then I realized this is an add and not something already realted to existing image backups potentially.

So the question is do these functions exist already in free linux tools.

Namely,

Image disk making
Image disk compression
Image disk incremental updates

And do any free tools in linux do all of them automatically in a single automated function or as close as possible. (ACAP)

@Linux101 @wizardfromoz @Condobloke
Welcome Linux 101,
I don't know if this helps you or not, but Linux Mint comes with Timeshift already installed.
I use it to back up my computer on a regular basis - especially if I am going to update several apps.
If you are not familiar with Timeshift just go up to the top right hand corner of your screen and click on 'Search' and type it in. I believe Wiz from Oz has put together quite an article on TS.
Once again, welcome and enjoy your stay.
Old Geezer,
Tango Charlie

Have you tried Foxclone...https://www.foxclone.com/ it's built for Linux and very easy to use.

Download the ISO and burn it to a Flash Drive and follow the easy instructions, it creates an Image of the whole Drive...which can be put back on the same Drive or another one. ;)

thats a new one to me - will take a look haha you see their landing page a load of fox cubs - cloned

Now THAT sounds interesting, Ta, Sam :)

Wiz

You're welcome Wiz. ;)

I also use Macrium Rescue Media to create an Image of my Linux Mint Drive.

Being Windoze software, I install Macrium Free in my Win 7 VM and plug in my Flash Drive and create a Bootable Flash Drive which works great with Linux.

Both Macrium and Foxclone are so much better and faster than Clonezilla.

Here's an Image of my 500GB SSD on my External HDD created by Foxclone...Image is about 100GB after compression and took about 35 mins. :cool:

I use butterfly backup, but it only works with btrfs.
I have also done btrfs snapshots.

Yes, that is a fedora website, but I've done this on non-fedora as well.

Members online