Adobe Flash trouble

Phylly

Reaction score
Credits
I have been using Linux Mint/Ubuntu for 5 (+/-) years now, and until recently, I've had no problems with Adobe Flash. Is there an alternative to Adobe Flash? I must have something like it, as I manage my husband's website and the website builder uses Adobe Flash to upload documents. Please help!

I have been using Linux Mint/Ubuntu for 5 (+/-) years now, and until recently, I've had no problems with Adobe Flash. Is there an alternative to Adobe Flash? I must have something like it, as I manage my husband's website and the website builder uses Adobe Flash to upload documents. Please help!

Hi @Phylly, and welcome back to the forums. FTP is the standard for uploading documents to websites, and I have seen Javascript based uploaders too, but I don't think I've ever noticed something Flash-based for that. (It's probably just me... I've used FTP forever.) Which website company are you dealing with, and are there other options for uploading your documents?

Flash is being phased out, but its hard to say how long of a lingering death it will play out. Are you using Mint or Ubuntu now? And which version? Also, what web browser are you using to interact with your web hosting company?

I should have preceded my question with the statement that I am not very good with computers, but can, eventually, know what I use. Where would I find out what version of Linux Mint I am using?

Click your Menu button, and start typing... welcome screen. It should appear after typing just a few letters. Click the button to launch it, and it will tell you the version.

You can also look in the All category and scroll down to find it near the bottom.

Okay, thanks, got it. Am using Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca", Cinnamon 64-bit. The website company is GoDaddy.com and I am checking with them for alternatives to Adobe Flash that they can take/use.

Okay, good... Mint is still a current version. If you haven't updated Mint lately though, that can break Flash.

But since Flash is going away anyway, it's probably a good time to learn a new way to maintain your website. I found this link below from GoDaddy that describes using FTP. They recommend a program called FileZilla for this... and I recommend it also. You can install it from the Synaptic Package Manager.

Hopefully this link isn't too out of date. I'm at work using my phone so I can't explore things as well as I like.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/ftp-how-to-upload-files-96

Okay, thanks. One more question: Where can I get a newer version of Linux Mint? When I looked it up online, I got the old Linux website, and didn't know if that was still active. Thanks a whole bunch for your patient help.

Not sure if an "upgrade" is worth the trouble right now. Your version doesn't reach end-of-life until April 2019, so there's no rush. Clem, the lead developer, discourages upgrades unless necessary. You can read his thoughts and his instructions on how to do it here:
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

I think Clem also encouraged a fresh clean install of a new version, rather than an upgrade, in most cases. I know that is my preferred method. But you have to be careful to be sure to backup all important files and documents!

Flash is being phased out, but its hard to say how long of a lingering death it will play out.

Latest figure I heard was 2020, Stan, but I seriously doubt whether it will last that long.

Hi @Phylly - I'd say "Welcome" but it sounds like you have more tenure than I. :)

If you haven't already made a friend of alternativeto.net - I would. We often recommend it to people ex-Windows looking for something to replace or match with their fave app, but IMHO it is just as useful to find alternatives within Linux.

eg if you Google "alternative to Adobe Flash" - you will find reference to alternativeto.net options.

However your enquiries to GoDaddy may prove useful once we establish what they require.

A couple of things, I do not think you will find them invasive of privacy?

If you can copy & paste the output of

Code:
inxi -Fxs

that will give us a better idea of your current environment. Mine looks as in the Spoiler

[chris@ManjaroGNOME-Garage ~]$ inxi -Fxs
Resuming in non X mode: xrandr not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
System: Host: ManjaroGNOME-Garage Kernel: 4.9.52-1-MANJARO x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
Desktop: Gnome 3.24.3 (Gtk 3.22.21) Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: Acer model: Aspire Z5761 serial: N/A
UEFI: American Megatrends v: P01-A2 date: 12/13/2010
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-2600S (-HT-MCP-)
arch: Sandy Bridge rev.7 cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 22357
clock speeds: max: 3800 MHz 1: 1729 MHz 2: 3298 MHz 3: 1696 MHz
4: 2751 MHz 5: 2372 MHz 6: 2872 MHz 7: 3171 MHz 8: 1935 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 420] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: N/A driver: nouveau tty size: 80x24
Audio: Card-1 Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 NVIDIA GF108 High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-3 Chicony driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-004
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.52-1-MANJARO
Network: Card-1: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 bus-ID: 00:19.0
IF: eno1 state: down mac: 10:78:d2:e1:b9:51
Card-2: Realtek RTL8191SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
driver: r8712u usb-ID: 002-004
IF: wlp0s29u1u8 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (6.8% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD20EARS size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 6.4G (35%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda17
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.09GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 68.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 233 Uptime: 1:50 Memory: 2492.8/7970.7MB
Init: systemd Gcc sys: N/A
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.40
[chris@ManjaroGNOME-Garage ~]$

... ignore the warning at the top, it is because I am in Manjaro.

Also friend @atanere asked about your Browser, eg Firefox, Chromium &c?

That's it for me, and as it's late Friday here in Oz, those whom know me will expect

avagudweegend, all ;)

Wizard

Latest figure I heard was 2020, Stan, but I seriously doubt whether it will last that long.

Hi @Phylly - I'd say "Welcome" but it sounds like you have more tenure than I. :)

If you haven't already made a friend of alternativeto.net - I would. We often recommend it to people ex-Windows looking for something to replace or match with their fave app, but IMHO it is just as useful to find alternatives within Linux.

eg if you Google "alternative to Adobe Flash" - you will find reference to alternativeto.net options.

However your enquiries to GoDaddy may prove useful once we establish what they require.

A couple of things, I do not think you will find them invasive of privacy?

If you can copy & paste the output of

Code:
inxi -Fxs

that will give us a better idea of your current environment. Mine looks as in the Spoiler

[chris@ManjaroGNOME-Garage ~]$ inxi -Fxs
Resuming in non X mode: xrandr not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
System: Host: ManjaroGNOME-Garage Kernel: 4.9.52-1-MANJARO x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
Desktop: Gnome 3.24.3 (Gtk 3.22.21) Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: Acer model: Aspire Z5761 serial: N/A
UEFI: American Megatrends v: P01-A2 date: 12/13/2010
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-2600S (-HT-MCP-)
arch: Sandy Bridge rev.7 cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 22357
clock speeds: max: 3800 MHz 1: 1729 MHz 2: 3298 MHz 3: 1696 MHz
4: 2751 MHz 5: 2372 MHz 6: 2872 MHz 7: 3171 MHz 8: 1935 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 420] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: N/A driver: nouveau tty size: 80x24
Audio: Card-1 Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 NVIDIA GF108 High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-3 Chicony driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-004
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.52-1-MANJARO
Network: Card-1: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 bus-ID: 00:19.0
IF: eno1 state: down mac: 10:78:d2:e1:b9:51
Card-2: Realtek RTL8191SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
driver: r8712u usb-ID: 002-004
IF: wlp0s29u1u8 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (6.8% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD20EARS size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 6.4G (35%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda17
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.09GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 68.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 233 Uptime: 1:50 Memory: 2492.8/7970.7MB
Init: systemd Gcc sys: N/A
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.40
[chris@ManjaroGNOME-Garage ~]$

... ignore the warning at the top, it is because I am in Manjaro.

Also friend @atanere asked about your Browser, eg Firefox, Chromium &c?

That's it for me, and as it's late Friday here in Oz, those whom know me will expect

avagudweegend, all ;)

Wizard
Sorry; got so tied up in trying to figure all this out, that I forgot that part of the question: I use Firefox, which is updated through my Linux Update Manager. No, I don't have more tenure, just seems that way from my being on the old site. And in a place like this, I think what matters more is knowledge, which I don't have. But why do you ask if Godaddy is invasive of my privacy?

Last edited:
Since I still have 17.1, I have to get .2 or .3 before I can get the latest, 18. Does FTP come as part of either 17.2 or .3?

FTP doesn't come with Mint at all. You can install FileZilla from either the Package Manager or the Software Manager (both are located on the left side of your "start menu"). Or you can install if from the command line... I think this will do it:

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install filezilla

FTP doesn't come with Mint at all. You can install FileZilla from either the Package Manager or the Software Manager (both are located on the left side of your "start menu"). Or you can install if from the command line... I think this will do it:

Code:
sudo apt update
Sorry, but running into more trouble. Did not find Package Manager, but did find Software Manager; FileZilla is nowhere to be found there. So I'll have to do this by the command. Do I enter this command into the terminal or somewhere else? Thanks

Code:
sudo apt update

Okay, got this part figured out; terminal says it's installed. Giving it a try. Thanks.

Sorry, but running into more trouble. Did not find Package Manager, but did find Software Manager; FileZilla is nowhere to be found there. So I'll have to do this by the command. Do I enter this command into the terminal or somewhere else? Thanks

Glad you got it installed.... now to follow the GoDaddy instructions and get it configured!

FYI, when you open the Software Manager, it starts with a cursor in the search box in the upper right corner. Just type in the package you're looking for (filezilla) and hit Enter, and it should take you right to its listing. Then double-click it to install. This is a pretty good method to install new apps.

Package Manager should be just below Software Manager on your Menu screen.... left side, under the System heading, just a bit above the Quit and Logout buttons. Installing with Package Manager is a little more tedious. Once you search/find the package you want, you have to tick the box for it and it will let you "mark for installation".... but then you have to find the "Apply" button above to make it actually install. It may also prompt to install other dependencies (if so, say yes to them too), and you may have to click another "Apply" or similar to get it to finally start.

When you open your Menu, it also starts with a cursor in the search box for you system. So, if you just started typing "softwawre" or "package" (without quotes) then Mint will quickly display the app you are looking for, plus those with similar search terms. This is usually a nice quick method to find stuff.

Cheers

Morning all from DownUnder ;)

But why do you ask if Godaddy is invasive of my privacy?

No, I meant that some people might feel that providing the output of

Code:
inxi -Fxs

... was invasive - it is not IMO.

On (Synaptic) Package Manager:

Before the 18 series of Mint, Clem's people used to remove Synaptic Package Manager and GParted on the way out of the install program. Go figure, IMO.

Phylly, you can get Terminal open by pressing Ctrl-Alt-t ... then type in and enter

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

It will prompt you for your password, enter it (no movement shows, security) and press Enter.

If you already have SPM it will say you already have the latest version, if not, it will install it and you can follow those instructions of Stan's anytime.

Cheers

Wizard

Thanks to you both, wizardofoz and atanere, for your kind and patient help. Something most have been wrong somewhere, because when I tried to download through the terminal it wouldn't work, so had an online chat with godaddy and they gave me their link and that got it on, but being so IT inept as I am, I was unable to understand step 2, so they have directed me to call their hosting division, which I'll have to do tomorrow, and we'll get it worked out that way.

We enjoy helping... that's why we're here.

I'm wondering about the trouble you're having... installing software and your other thread with Gimp. Perhaps there are more serious issues with your Mint going on.

Because of these things, I really wouldn't pursue the upgrade to Mint 18.2, but would encourage you to do a fresh clean install instead when you get ready. If you get FileZilla setup with GoDaddy, those settings can be saved and restored after a fresh install. But you would have to consider everything else that needs to be saved too (such as all the files that make up your husband's website, etc).

It's a big step and you shouldn't rush since things are basically working, but I think it would solve the Gimp problems, maybe Flash (for now), and maybe other things besides.

Thanks to you both, wizardofoz and atanere

I believe Wizard of Oz has been used somewhere? wizardfromoz. Wizard or Wiz is fine. Or Chris, the name my mother gave me. Just don't call me late for dinner.

17.3 Rosa was likely the best and most stable of the 17 series point releases. You could use that for another 18 months quite easily.

Cheers

Wizard
BTW @atanere ... I was in it for the kudos. Just kidding. @Phylly, read my current signature (changes every couple of weeks) and you will get a glimpse of my philosophy. :D

Members online

Latest posts