Address book data export -> import (LDIF or vCard) troublesome for others?

K

Kirbo

Am migrating from MS Windows7 to Ubuntu. Biggest challenge has been finding an adequate Personal Information Manager under Linux. I might go with Gnome Evolution.

Curious whether others have problems doing data exports out of one application (Thunderbird email on Windows7) to import into other applications (any of the main Personal Information Managers in Linux). For example, address book data using LDIF or vCard formats.

If I use LDIF, maybe the Notes field doesn't survive the export/import. If I go with vCard, maybe phone numbers and email addresses don't import correctly - or at all.

What on EARTH? It was my impression LDIF and vCard were mature, well-understood transfer formats that one would think would be trouble free for data transplantations.

-And CSV exported data, at least when opened in a spreadsheet, really look scrambled.

I do this sort of data export/import infrequently; so I don't have context. Is the trouble I'm experiencing common, is it hit or miss? Or am I just having a really bad day?

Evolution supports vCard, LDIF fully from my knowledge and experience. I've never had an issue with either format.

Members online