Adding ext4 Partition to /etc/fstab File.....? :3

blackneos940

Reaction score
Credits
As the question describes, I wanna add my Kali Linux Partition to Manjaro's fstab File, so that it automounts on Login..... :3 How is this accomplished.....? :3 Good GOD, that Stromboli made me full..... :p Thanks for any help guys..... :3

Hi Blackie, you could have shared some of the stromboli with me :(

Whatcha looking to do exactly?

Do you want to be able to access Kali files from MJRO? Read/write? Just have the access from Terminal, but not from the File Manager?

Do you want an icon for it on your Manjaro desktop for quick access?

Spill it out.

Also, tell us -

Which Manjaro, DE and all eg GNOME, KDE or Xfce, or Community spins such as Cinnamon, Budgie, &c?

Do you have to have it done via /etc/fstab or by a GUI means?

I can cover both with you.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Blackie, you could have shared some of the stromboli with me :(

Whatcha looking to do exactly?

Do you want to be able to access Kali files from MJRO? Read/write? Just have the access from Terminal, but not from the File Manager?

Do you want an icon for it on your Manjaro desktop for quick access?

Spill it out.

Also, tell us -

Which Manjaro, DE and all eg GNOME, KDE or Xfce, or Community spins such as Cinnamon, Budgie, &c?

Do you have to have it done via /etc/fstab or by a GUI means?

I can cover both with you.

Cheers

Chris
Hey, you know if I lived near you I would have shared it with you..... :3 As far as what I'm looking to do..... I wanna have fstab Mount the Partition so that when I log in, it's Mounted under /media/adam/ ..... :3 And yeah, I wanna be able to access it through either a Terminal or a File Manager..... :3 I also wanna automount it with rw enabled..... :3 The Desktop Environment I use under Manjaro is XFCE4, and no, I don't need an Icon..... I can make a Shell Script to cd to the appropriate Directories..... :3 Is that enough info, buddy.....? :3

That's a good account, Blackie :)

Can you give me the output, from your Manjaro, of

Code:
cat /etc/fstab

and also that from Kali?

Wiz

Haven't seen the OP for nearly 2 weeks, he may be away or something? @blackneos940 - where are youuu??

@Scotsgeek may have an idea if he wishes to converse with me.

For the benefit of Capta @CptCharis and The Viewers whom may be interested, I will go ahead soon and outline what I can say.

Cheers for now

Wizard

Haven't seen the OP for nearly 2 weeks, he may be away or something? @blackneos940 - where are youuu??

@Scotsgeek may have an idea if he wishes to converse with me.

For the benefit of Capta @CptCharis and The Viewers whom may be interested, I will go ahead soon and outline what I can say.

Cheers for now

Wizard
Hey buddy!!..... :3 I is back!!..... :D Ready when you are!!..... :3

That's a good account, Blackie :)

Can you give me the output, from your Manjaro, of

Code:
cat /etc/fstab

and also that from Kali?

Wiz
I had to wipe my Hard Drive again, so Manjaro and Kali are gone..... :< But I can assure you that fstab came stock..... :3

On the drive mounting issue

VIDEO 1 - INSTALLING AND USING GNOME DISK UTILITY AKA DISKS

Gnome Disks ships installed with many Distros, or is in their Repositories.

Once you have accomplished what is set out in the video, then a reboot is in order to see if it works.

In the screenshot below, it shows my desktop from Peach OSI TW (The Works), an Ubuntu-based Distro, which is where I used Disks. Peach has Xfce as its DE, and Xfce likes to show removable drives, hence the clutter. There is a tweak to turn this off, but then it would not show my newly-mounted drives.

I36aSBQ.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - PEACH DESKTOP WITH 2 AUTO-MOUNTED DISTRO PARTITIONS

When I first performed this exercise a couple of weeks ago, the icons for Ubuntu's Bionic Beaver (18.04) MATE and Robolinux had the labels I had assigned to them, and shown in GParted.

Yesterday, it gave them the UUIDs instead, which is OK if you have only one Distro to identify, but clumsy with more.

At this time, my /etc/fstab , which had been modified by Disks, showed as below:

Code:
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

UUID=47ab1dde-3a48-40d5-bf97-050f6f1d13e8    /    ext4    errors=remount-ro    0    1
UUID=024B-FCE8    /boot/efi    vfat    umask=0077    0    1
/dev/disk/by-uuid/7da1f48f-4f30-4d7a-8d33-9904bca0649b /mnt/7da1f48f-4f30-4d7a-8d33-9904bca0649b auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/e2392e78-51d4-4b46-b3d1-84bf7f0053ff /mnt/e2392e78-51d4-4b46-b3d1-84bf7f0053ff auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

... with the bottom 2 lines being the additions Disks added.

I have since tweaked those lines so that my Distros now show as per the screenshot below.

OlWoChF.png

SCREENSHOT 2 - AUTOMOUNTED DRIVES NOW CAPTIONED TO IDENTIFY

If you need to know how to do that, just sing out, or you may be content with the UUID.

I hope that answers a part of the OP's question.

In my next Post, I can talk about the partition and drive permissions, and if Adam lets me know he definitely wants it mounted under /media/adam ... we'll see what we can do :)

Cheers all, and

Enjoy your Linux

Wizard

On the drive mounting issue

VIDEO 1 - INSTALLING AND USING GNOME DISK UTILITY AKA DISKS

Gnome Disks ships installed with many Distros, or is in their Repositories.

Once you have accomplished what is set out in the video, then a reboot is in order to see if it works.

In the screenshot below, it shows my desktop from Peach OSI TW (The Works), an Ubuntu-based Distro, which is where I used Disks. Peach has Xfce as its DE, and Xfce likes to show removable drives, hence the clutter. There is a tweak to turn this off, but then it would not show my newly-mounted drives.

I36aSBQ.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - PEACH DESKTOP WITH 2 AUTO-MOUNTED DISTRO PARTITIONS

When I first performed this exercise a couple of weeks ago, the icons for Ubuntu's Bionic Beaver (18.04) MATE and Robolinux had the labels I had assigned to them, and shown in GParted.

Yesterday, it gave them the UUIDs instead, which is OK if you have only one Distro to identify, but clumsy with more.

At this time, my /etc/fstab , which had been modified by Disks, showed as below:

Code:
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

UUID=47ab1dde-3a48-40d5-bf97-050f6f1d13e8    /    ext4    errors=remount-ro    0    1
UUID=024B-FCE8    /boot/efi    vfat    umask=0077    0    1
/dev/disk/by-uuid/7da1f48f-4f30-4d7a-8d33-9904bca0649b /mnt/7da1f48f-4f30-4d7a-8d33-9904bca0649b auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/e2392e78-51d4-4b46-b3d1-84bf7f0053ff /mnt/e2392e78-51d4-4b46-b3d1-84bf7f0053ff auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

... with the bottom 2 lines being the additions Disks added.

I have since tweaked those lines so that my Distros now show as per the screenshot below.

OlWoChF.png

SCREENSHOT 2 - AUTOMOUNTED DRIVES NOW CAPTIONED TO IDENTIFY

If you need to know how to do that, just sing out, or you may be content with the UUID.

I hope that answers a part of the OP's question.

In my next Post, I can talk about the partition and drive permissions, and if Adam lets me know he definitely wants it mounted under /media/adam ... we'll see what we can do :)

Cheers all, and

Enjoy your Linux

Wizard
Hello, good sir!..... :3 Yeah, I want it Mounted under /media/adam/..... :3 I'll check out the Video, and thanks for the info!..... :3

No worries Mate, I'll get cracking on it soon

Wiz

Staff online